[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /sci/ think of climate change/global cooling/global warming?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (178KB, 900x560px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178KB, 900x560px
What does /sci/ think of climate change/global cooling/global warming?
>>
I think americans are literally fucking retarded
>>
We're fucked and there is nothing that can be done.
>>
>>7812754

Total fucking bullshit. Atmospheric CO2 absorption is already saturated, doesn't matter how much more is added.
>>
>>7812790
CO2 does correlate with global temperatures, but CO2 levels have rapidly risen and dropped even before there were humans
>>
>>7812801

Correlates but follows behind. Most data shows the CO2 rising after temperature rises, most likely due to CO2 being released from bodies of water.

Also like I said, the absorption of IR by CO2 is already saturated, it doesn't matter how much more you add to the atmosphere. All of the IR radiation that can be, is already being absorbed at the relevant wavelengths.
>>
>>7812754

I don't have the multidisciplinary knowledge required to know the deep intracacies of the issue, so I refrain from holding an opinion of my own.
>>
>>7812754
it's real but it has been overblown this year for political reasons
>>
I think dealing with its various consequences is going to be one of the major driving forces behind 21st century events.
>>
>>7812790

But that's wrong, you retard.
>>
When people talk about global warming they really talk about atmospheric or weather changes. Weather changes like the fucking weather, it's unpredictable.

I'm worried about the soil warming or oceans warming up. If deep sea methane melts or permafrost becomes unfrozen then it's game over for the human race.
>>
>>7812903
The only driving force in the 21st century is 7.5 billion breeding, eating, shitting and war mongering monkeys. Everything else is irrelevant, really!

It is meant to be a catch all to solve everything, take peoples carbon away and they cease to live, as carbon is the element of life. Hydrocarbons essential to life in the 21st century. Everyone wants to rule the world, no one person ever will though, the Black Pope of Rome is about as close as it's going to get, but even that despot can only do so much.
>>
>>7812984
You saying the carbon tax is REAL? That the revenue men come and extract it from your body? Scary!
>>
>>7812754
not a big deal imo. we figured out how to lower the earths temperature in the 70's, we just don't know the long term effects of a global atmospheric sulphur injection.
>>
>>7812754
Climate change with the release of greenhouse gasses is a real thing.

That said, nobody actually knows what the fuck kind of impact that will have on us and anyone acting like they are certain are almost certainly wrong. Some say desertification and rising ocean levels, it could just as well mean increased precipitation and decreasing ocean levels. Climate models are basically impossible to accurately calculate.

Also, what the fuck can actually be done about it besides dismantling industrializing civilization?
>>
File: _46475463_korea_afp766.jpg (109KB, 766x511px) Image search: [Google]
_46475463_korea_afp766.jpg
109KB, 766x511px
>>7812754
>What does /sci/ think of

climate change, yes

global cooling, no

global warming, yes

>Also, what the fuck can actually be done about it besides dismantling industrializing civilization?

I've said it before I'll say it again, full scale nationalistic war by a nation that wants to >actually< survive.

I mean, throw out the geneva conventions. I'm talking release GMO viral superbugs, cruise missiles into coal burning power plants.

The idea is you do actually reduce global industrial civilization and establish an absolute industrial hegemony in your own country. There really is only one country capable of this, but sooner rather than later there will be more and such a scenario relies heavily on first-strike capability.

Too much? Go suck on your pacifier.

inb4 babys first armageddon
>>
>>7813242
>I've said it before I'll say it again, full scale nationalistic war by a nation that wants to >actually< survive.

I can't say I've ever heard of that proposed as a solution to global warming, but it does fit into the conspiracy theories about 'Agenda 21' and idea that 'the elite' want to achieve strong AI and develop automated economies, just so they can exterminate 90% of the human population to conserve resources, ect.

Good call. I hear more logical arguments for genocide than the other way around anymore.
>>
File: war_610x335.png (415KB, 610x335px) Image search: [Google]
war_610x335.png
415KB, 610x335px
>>7813242

Strategic considerations for the future that will work

A) Doing nothing and hope everything is fine.

B) Executing end-game strategy and accepting consequences
>>
File: 1348666162627.jpg (385KB, 950x1261px) Image search: [Google]
1348666162627.jpg
385KB, 950x1261px
>>7813256

I hope you don't think I'm trafficking in conspiracy theories. I'm just riffing. You might be able to find explicit analogous strategies defined in sci-fi fiction or even actual military manuals.

There is no conspiracy involved. The military has planned contingencies for everything. For example, Peak oil was described after the end of WWII as the major organizing concept behind the modern military strategy, hence the creation of nuclear powered naval warships laden with nuclear warheads.

You do realize that, in terms of the US, there are an unknown number (over 20) nuclear submarines each with hundreds of independently-targettable warheads in every ocean of the world following a protocol where they will attack based on protocols designed to provide for the survival of military (and governmental continuity) regardless of the political existence of the mother country.

The DoD has already released many position papers on global warming. In terms of strategy, its like you are in a mexican stand-off with several confirmed serial killers in a closed room and Global warming walks in the door, dressed like an insane clown and holding a hand grenade.

Sure, it's a problem, but not >really< until he goes to pull the pin.
>>
>>7813258
Nuclear war would make global warming worse. All those burning oilfields, chemical plants, cities, forests, ect.

GMO superviruses, conventional warfare w/ genocide is more on the money.
>>
>>7813196
Yes, eventually you will be taxed just for being a carbon based life form, it's pure genius and why it requires and extra helping of propaganda to get er done so to speak. Under economic taxation there are loopholes. You don't just manufacture 1 million "climate scientists" without intent.
>>
>>7813281
You're one of those dummies from pol aren't you? If you're not, you should go there instead.
>>
>>7812790
Where do you tards get this crap? No, CO2 isn't saturated. This is a completely made up lie.

>>7812816
>Correlates but follows behind. Most data shows the CO2 rising after temperature rises, most likely due to CO2 being released from bodies of water.
The fact that warming results in more CO2 being released from oceans doesn't disprove that CO2 results in increased warming. Both are true.
>>
>>7813567

So you're telling me that some of the IR radiation in the absorption spectrum of CO2 makes it into space? Groundbreaking.
>>
>>7813258
That's a good movie.
>>
>>7812754
It's real but there really is little to nothing we can do about it. Also for whatever reason /pol/ likes to shitpost about how its fake.
>>
File: 1453546310426.gif (2MB, 472x360px) Image search: [Google]
1453546310426.gif
2MB, 472x360px
>>7812754
You're not really asking /sci/ at this point, you're asking the people browsing /sci/ who treat it like /pol/ enclave board

in b4 butthurt from /pol/tards
>>
>>7812754
Omfg there is a fucking scientific consensus, you dolts. It doesn't matter what you think, you're wrong and that Is all.
>>
We've fucked everything up and now we're going to get #rekt.
>>
>>7812790

Who cares if global warming is found out to be untrue, don't people see this as a wake up call? Certainly pollution and overconsumption of resources isn't good for us or the rest of the species, who cares if the predictions are vastly overbown?

Funding and invesment hould be increased for research and development in: solar and wind energy, better batteries, electric cars, in vitro meat, and other "green" technology. Also wouldn't removing any dependence on oil make tne Saudis go broke and stop them from funding ISIS? Bam! Two birds stoned at once
>>
>>7813862
>poltards
> irrelevant pol bitching
Stop posting on 4chan please.
>>
File: your post.gif (2MB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
your post.gif
2MB, 360x240px
>>7814009
I thought /pol/tards were all about free speech? :^)
>>
>>7814025
I thought you loved your go back to your containment cesspool memes.

So stay in your Reddit cesspool and stop constantly shitposting in 4chan
>>
worthless alarmism
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.