[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DDT reminder

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: lead-image-resources-ddt.jpg (39KB, 1180x400px) Image search: [Google]
lead-image-resources-ddt.jpg
39KB, 1180x400px
About 3.2 billion people – nearly half of the world's population – are at risk of malaria. In 2015, there were roughly 214 million malaria cases and an estimated 438 000 malaria deaths.
And yet DDT is banned because it might have a link to cancer. Thank you ecological scientist mans.

Half a milliion deaths + 200 million infections + 3billion in danger
up against
white ecologists who went to college and now they have to achieve something
>>
>>7812753
It's not just because of cancer. DDT was also bioaccumulating and wiping out tons of birds. It drove dozens of species to the brink of extinction.
>>
Liberals gonna lib
But it was probably one of those eugenics things, you had a lot of these progressives who absolutely hated the non-whites once upon a time.
>>
>>7812760
>It drove dozens of species to the brink of extinction.

Let's see here: https://www.google.si/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how%20many%20species%20die%20each%20day

>Scientists estimate that 150-200 species of plant, insect, bird and mammal become extinct every 24 hours.

Now over 150 species die out each day and somehow, biologists (a real science?), were able to calculate how many species died from DDT and concluded a ban was necessary
>>
>>7812787
Eh, wasn't even really biologists friend. Bitch wrote the book Silent Spring which caused a massive panic. Politicians pandered to the freaking out public. Fastforward to millions of preventable malaria deaths.
>>
DDT is harmful to Nature and promotes overpopulation.
We need less people, not more.
Getting that poison banned was one of the greatest victory of the greens against the nutjobs.
>>
It's so stupid to allow politics to influence decisions like this.

Years ago:
My dad: The next car I am getting is a XXXXX because it has better fuel efficiency and burns cleaner.
Retard friend: I thought you were a conservative. Why do you care about hippy shit like emissions?
My dad: Because I am an engineer and a leaky sloppy engine is just plain a bad engine. Emissions is a good indicator of how well the engine is designed overall.

DDT does not break down. It kills the bugs you spray it on and the bacteria that try to eat them. The the rain washes it to the uncultivated land and it is taken up by growing plants. So it kills the pollinators that feed off of them. eventually it gets washed into rivers and lakes where it kills the bugs there and so all the fish that eat them and so on.

If you had a gun that killed things it wasn't aimed at would you use it?
>>
File: kill yourself.jpg (83KB, 500x348px) Image search: [Google]
kill yourself.jpg
83KB, 500x348px
>LIBRULSSSSSS
oh look /pol/ is leaking again
>>
>>7812884
Half life is from 2 to 15 years. No real ramification from its use...only hypothetical. Half the world fears malaria
>>
>>7812976
Not to mention how banning DDT because it bioaccumulates necessitates the use of massively more dangerous and environmentally damaging insecticides.

>protip, just because something breaks down quickly doesn't make it less harmful than something that breaks down more slowly
>>
>>7812976
>Half life

Not him, but fuck off. It's not plutonium you faggot. It's not 'going away', it's dissolving into the environment.
>>
>>7812892
leave
>>
>>7812753
>About 3.2 billion people – nearly half of the world's population
And they keep reproducing too quickly. If anything we should ban all pesticides altogether.
>>
It's still widely used to control vectors of typhus and malaria in high risk regions. Prevention of these diseases is more than worth a few thin eggshells and vague unsubstantiated fears that it may have ever contributed to a case of human cancer.

That being said, it's not well-suited for broad agricultural use. We have compounds with better environmental fates that are more effective now. It's like how you notice nobody except organic farmers uses rotenone anymore.
>>
File: 1453512837927.jpg (24KB, 800x804px) Image search: [Google]
1453512837927.jpg
24KB, 800x804px
>>7813016
hows it feel knowing you can't make me, /pol/fag
>>
>>7812753
>>7812976

Pro tip: Mosquitoes were becoming immune to DDT anyway.

From the 60's:
>Detailed data presented later in this paper indicate that the Coachella Valley population sampled in 1963 was moderately resistant to DDT

(source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2476235/pdf/bullwho00608-0043.pdf)

From the 70's
>Various DDT-resistant strains of mosquito, comprising 8 strains of Aedes aegypti from the Neotropics (tropical and South America) and one each of Anopheles gambiae and An.

(Source: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ps.2780080516/abstract)
>>
>>7812997
>It's not 'going away', it's dissolving into the environment.
Ok, putting aside for a moment that you feel entitled to play it fast and loose with terms that have specific meanings like "dissolve," you do realize that organic compounds undergo various reactions under different conditions, right? And that water, light and other environmental factors are often among these conditions and influence certain rates of reaction? And that judging how quickly something breaks down in the environment and into what ultimate products is a pretty big part of why we decide to make one compound a commercial pesticide and scrap another ten?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.