[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So Darwinists, if evolution is true, why is it still a theory?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: image.png (388KB, 592x783px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
388KB, 592x783px
So Darwinists, if evolution is true, why is it still a theory?
>>
because proving science is hard
>>
In science, the word "theory" means something different than what the public thinks it means. The public thinks a theory is a hypothesis. In science, it means it's an idea that has not yet been disproven. This is as close to calling it "true" as science will ever come. Science calls nothing "true" as a matter of principle- it must be assumed that anything can be disproven.

Gravity, for example, is still a theory.
>>
>>7812394
You filthy atheists with your theories of satanic gravitation.
>>
From wikipedia:

>In science, the term "theory" refers to "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment."[12][13] Theories must also meet further requirements, such as the ability to make falsifiable predictions with consistent accuracy across a broad area of scientific inquiry, and production of strong evidence in favor of the theory from multiple independent sources.
>>
>>7812379
>if evolution is true
>he thinks scientific models represent absolute truths of the universe

doesn't matter if evolution is true or not family, we accept it because its useful and allows us to DO things. could be 100% wrong and it wouldn't change a thing.

throwing our hands up in the air and saying "god did it!" doesn't make any money.
>>
>>7812417
>In science, the term "theory" refers to "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment.

This is not true in physics. i.e. Stuff like N=4 Super Yang-Mills Theory, Algebraic Quantum Field Theory, etc. Still use the term theory despite not being representative of the real world.
>>
>>7812387
>>7812394
>>7812417
>>7812422
>>7812435
So Darwinists, if you're so smart, why are you replying to an obvious trollbait thread?
>>
>>7812435
Yeah, that's true. Physics kind of does their own thing.
>>
>>7812439
Because chances for me to look smart on this board are few and far between, so I must seize them when they arise.
>>
>>7812439
not a darwinist actually. i just know how to separate absolute philosophical truth from scientific empiricism.

most rational religious adults are able to do that m8.
>>
Don't worry, even people who are supposedly good/knowledgeable on the English language don't understand shit.
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/38973/difference-between-theorem-and-theory
>Yes. There is a theorem in physics, and that's not mathematical. It's called the Adiabatic theorem – Thursagen Aug 24 '11 at 1:05
>English degrees general
>>
>>7812410

The theory of gravity was put forth by newton, an extremely devout christian. Get your knowledge at least somewhat right, if you're going to troll.
>>
>>7812379
Gravity is also a theory, idiot. The principles used to design the computer you are using right now are also 'theories.'
>>
File: Low intelligence.jpg (31KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Low intelligence.jpg
31KB, 400x400px
Because a theory in science and a theory in the common sense are different.
>Common knowledge definition of a theory: a guess
>Scientific theory: Well established explanation for a phenomenon
>>
>>7812465
>this much autism
>>
>>7812464
>>7812440

>>7812479
Where do you think we are?
>>
The bait is weak, use some bread or something more attractive to the fishes.
>>
>>7812660
bitch what
>>
>>7812379
What the fuck are you doing in sci? Research about what a theory is
>>
>>7812379
Because science isn't capable of proving anything; it can only help you predict what will happen next if your set of theories is a good one.

inb4 "muh laws of physics". Physical "laws" are still only theories.

The theory of evolution appears to offer very accurate predictions when tested against observations.

That is all.

/thread
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.