[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't I ever see much talk about probability or statistics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: th.jpg (14KB, 300x212px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
14KB, 300x212px
Why don't I ever see much talk about probability or statistics on here?

I know both of these areas are really employable. Are they just not sexy fields these days? I mean yeah, stat is applied and everyone who takes the intro course is unimpressed with how simple it is, but the upper levels of stat can be pretty damn interesting.
>>
Dunno about anyone else, but stats is the one math course that's not required for my school's engineering program. Bizzarely.

Of course, being a fucking hopeless dweeb, I'll be taking it as an elective. But I wonder how many other STEM kiddies are.
>>
>>7809755
Basic stat is easy, just a bunch of tedious math (think plugging 40 different results into one formula level of tedious, that is if the prof teaches you to do things by hand). The hardest part is remembering the difference between the various flavors of X (X, X hat, X bar, etc.). That said, it's really useful because it teaches you keys to understanding/interpreting statistics (stuff like confidence intervals, the power of a given analysis technique, etc.).

The upper level stuff is more interesting. You dive into more sophisticated analyses, much more of the underlying theory, techniques to increase analytical power through blending of techniques, and the like. It's kind of an intro to the research researcher field (guys who do nothing but look over research and look for ways to improve research techniques).
>>
>>7809774
>keys to statistics
>confidence intervals

Somebody took the wrong course
>>
>>7809774
>Basic stat is easy [...] The hardest part is remembering the difference between the various flavors of X
Maybe in american uni's
>techniques to increase analytical power through blending of techniques
what the fuck are you talking about
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.