[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a scientific reason why you cannot find a one-to-one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: rationals.jpg (45KB, 1368x450px) Image search: [Google]
rationals.jpg
45KB, 1368x450px
Is there a scientific reason why you cannot find a one-to-one correspondence between the integers and the rational numbers no matter how hard you try?
>>
Jew lies desu senpai.
>>
>>7808345
Because every integer is also a rational number (except for 0)
>>
>>7808345
You just haven't tried hard enough.
>>
>scientific reason
It's not science. It's mathematics.
>>
The cardinality is different
>>
File: positive.png (141KB, 1492x664px) Image search: [Google]
positive.png
141KB, 1492x664px
I know there is one for positive integers and positive rationals

I don't know about negatives, though
>>
Integers are quantized, rationals aren't.
>>
>>7808345
This is one of the things that I've never been able to wrap my head around. I can get the whole finding a number that exists in irrationals but can't in rationals thing, but simply numbering them? This is one case where it hurts my head because no matter how many numbers are between whatever arbitrary numbers you have from the rationals, you'll still have enough integers to cover those because the integers don't end. I get how each time you iterate to the next rational number, the integers get further and further behind; however, the integers will eventually get to that point...

To me, saying you can't create a one to one for this is like saying that just because a car is travelling at 10mph, it can't pass the same 100 miles that the car going 1000mph was going.
>>
>>7808345
its simple
Z->N->Q
done.
>>
>>7808435
wut?
>>
>>7808345
isn't this false? The cardinality of N and Q is the same isn't it?
>>
but you can lmao
>>
>>7808385
Why isn't zero a rational? It can be expressed as the quotient of two integers.
>>
>>7808510
0/0 is undefined, it does not equal zero.
>>
>>7808518
0/1 you dumb fucking fuck
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.