[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would /sci/ rank the top 5 greatest scientists of all time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Faraday-Millikan-Gale-1913.jpg (942KB, 1408x1880px) Image search: [Google]
Faraday-Millikan-Gale-1913.jpg
942KB, 1408x1880px
How would /sci/ rank the top 5 greatest scientists of all time with respect to the overall impact they had on humanity?

Here's my ranking:

1) Issac Newton
2) Michael Faraday
3) James Clerk Maxwell
4) Louis Pasteur
5) Albert Einstein
>>
1. Nikola Tesla
2. Albert Einstein
3. Isaac Newton
4. Neil deGrasse Tyson
5. Charles Darwin
>>
1) Richard Dawkins
2) Neil Tyson
3) Jacob Barnett
4) Lubos Motl
5) Sheldon Cooper
>>
>>7808140

Tesla? Are you serious? What the hell did he ever do?

inb4 he had spooky death rays but destroyed them for the good of mankind
>>
>>7808136

Why Maxwell below Faraday? Why Einstein over Planck?
>>
>>7808136
>>7808140

Isaac Newton was a mathematician, and as many of you so easily proclaim, 'math is not a science', so why don't you keep yourself restrained in your shitty camp and do your list there, retards.
>>
>>7808392
Where would you draw the line between physics and mathematics then?
>>
>>7808392
>implying his work on optics and celestial mechanics doesn't make him a scientist
>>
>>7808398
But no line has to be drawn. He did physics, because physics, as everything else, is applied mathematics.

>>7808402
Same to you.

Still, he was a mathematician. You go back in time and ask him what he was, he'd say mathematician. What was his job? Mathematician. What did he do? Mathematics What was he paid for? Mathematics. What was his trade? Mathematics. What did he teach at university? Mathematics..
>>
1.) Michael Faraday
for nearly all that he did
2.) Charles Darwin
for laying the groundwork of evolutionary theory
3.) Max Planck
for inventing quantum mechanics
4.) Albert Einstein
for relativity and many other things
5.) Cecilia Payne
for discovering the composition of the stars
That's just a ranking of the impact their discoveries had, really. And totally just my opinion.
>>
>>7808392
Eh, he was a polymath.

It's screwy talking about thinkers from these earlier periods because various fields were intertwined, poorly defined, and/or generally did not have that much formal work done in them. People dabbled in a lot of different topics and were able to make significant advances because no one had either bothered, had bothered but not written it down, or had bothered, written it down, but it was then somehow lost.

Now, everything is recorded. We spend most of our time learning old ideas to build off of them. All that crap is easily accessible so we try not to duplicate effort in areas that are already well explored (speaking of phd level stuff here).
>>
1) Denis Mirolović
>>
>>7808411
>because physics, as everything else, is applied mathematics
Tell that to Faraday.
>Still, he was a mathematician.
Nobody is disagreeing with that. But he could hardly call himself a physicist since he basically created the field as it is today. In retrospect, he was a mathematician and a physicist, and is honored for his work in both fields.
>>
>>7808136
Galileo
Newton
Darwin
Einstein
Dawkins

Pleb list, I know. But these are the most influential scientists.
>>
>>7808430
>Dawkins
He's honestly not that influential. He's mostly a loudmouth.

If you're talking in terms of pop culture, Hawkings has a much wider reach as well.
>>
>>7808436
Hi anti-theism aside, I genuinely believe he's the greatest living Biologist. The Selfish Gene revolutionized our understanding of natural selection and the depths of genetics.

As a Bio major, I'm probably a little biased though.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.