[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lots of people here have learned a great deal by teaching themselves

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Lots of people here have learned a great deal by teaching themselves from books. I think that's interesting and am informally surveying anyone here who likes to learn from textbooks:

A. Textbooks are usually really long. How much time do you usually find you spend with a text before you feel comfortable with a topic, confident?

B. How do you process a textbook? Do you start at page 1 and work straight through, including exercises? Do you start with exercises and go back to the chapter? Do you read everything once then go back in depth with the exercises?

C. Any input you feel is helpful/important to digesting knowledge from a textbook
>>
>>7807998
I have been studying Jech on and off for two years, working through it linearly. I take breaks from it sometimes to study other texts, but I study for hours a day. I always read textbooks linearly. I have taught myself exclusively through self-study; as an undergrad I almost never attended class, preferring to self-teach.
>>
>>7807998
>A
Depends on the size and content. Computer science/programming textbooks usually take me 1-2 weeks. Maths textbooks on a single topic (e.g. linear algebra or calculus) and less than 500 pages take me between 2 weeks and a month. A big and dense textbook (eg. microelectronics/sedra) can take me more than 2 months.

Generally the more broad the content the longer it takes for me.

>B
Flick through to get an idea of the content. Then go section by section:
>read and understand whole section
>read and attempt examples
>do problems
>make notes

>C
Learning from textbooks is easier than learning from teachers imo so I don't get the fuss.

I like to make condensed notes with all the key facts. Avoid noting down stuff that doesn't help solve the problems. When I figure something out or understand a new concept that is tricky I note down the thought process while it's fresh.

I have worked through about 20-25textbooks
>>
Technology was a mistake.
Books are the way to go.
>>
>>7807998
1. Take's usually the whole course as I don't really apply.
2. I process section by section. Reading the chapters that pertain to me. I will read more if there is necessary background info.
Textbooks have always been my favorite. Much better than lectures or videos. YOu can move much faster than a didactic lecture or video and linger at sections that you either want to understand more in depth or don't understand. The hard part is that if you don't understand the text ( and your on your own) there is no one who can give you a work around. I usually read the textbook and see a prof if I'm stuck.
>>
>>7808049
Agreed. While ebooks can be stored so much more easily and are nearly instantly accessible it doesn't feel the same. I am more engaged with a real book.
>>
>>7807998
>A
There's too much variation here to say anything meaningful. It depends on so many things; how long it is, how good my prerequisite knowledge is, how difficult the material is (and how good the author is at explaining it), how many exercises there are to do (exercises are time-consuming).

On average though, say for a 300-something page math text, about 2 months.

>B.
I go more or less linearly. Read chapter, do as many exercises as I can for chapter, move to next chapter.
An exception to this is that if a topic seems to lack motivation (say you're reading a calculus text and you don't get why you should care about limits) it's good to skip ahead and figure out why you're doing what you're doing.

>C
Do the problems. Try to do all of them if you can, but at least do 75-80% of them. You won't learn anything if you don't.

Make sure you're always translating what you read into plain, intuitive English.
I see/saw this a lot in fellow math students, especially new ones. They get so hung up on the formalism that they forget what they're even doing.

It's also good to learn from multiple sources if you can. Try not to have all your understanding come from one text.
If a proof is hard for you to understand, go find a different one, or a different explanation of the concepts. Ask someone.
Trying to power through when it doesn't make sense isn't always the best approach.
>>
A. I usually take about a year, but I work on books simultaneously and it's mostly drawing that I've been studying, so the name of the game is going back and doing exercises ad infinitum. I'm trying to get into math though, and I'm reading Spivak. It's slow going as fuck, but I'm trying a new approach lately.

B. With drawing books, I scan it all at once in the first sitting, then I read it chapter by chapter, then I copy each illustration and refer to the text of the chapter before/during/after I copy the illustration. Each step takes longer than the last.

With Spivak, I read the chapter titles, then I was going through, reading a chapter then trying to do the exercises, but it was taking FOREVER (4 months to get confident with the first half of the first chapter's exercises), so now I'm reading all the chapters, then I'll go back and do the exercises. I passed Calc 1 some years ago, so it's not like there's any new concepts, and natural deduction proofs are old-hat, but memorizing and internalizing the properties of numbers is hard as fuck for some reason.
>>
>>7807998
A. Depends on your previous master of the topic and the mastery on the prereqs. It can take from several days to many months.

B. By topics. Read the preface, familiarize yourself with the structure of the book and the prereqs, and then pick a recommended sequences. This is usually reading the first few chapters linearly. If you read a section or chapter, you MUST do the exercises. There's no excuse here. But you can skip some sections and go through chapters in different orders if you know what you're doing.

C. Pick your books well. It's better to pick a book that's a bit easier than your level than one that's harder. It's going to save you a lot of time, and you can read the hard one afterwards much faster.
>>
So for whatever reason I read the OP image as Catullus. Anytime I think about Catullus, I'm reminded of Catullus 16.

Have fun with the translation:
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo,
Aureli pathice et cinaede Furi,
qui me ex versiculis meis putastis,
quod sunt molliculi, parum pudicum.
Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest;

qui tum denique habent salem ac leporem,
si sunt molliculi ac parum pudici
et quod pruriat incitare possunt,
non dico pueris, sed his pilosis
qui duros nequeunt movere lumbos.
Vos, quod milia multa basiorum
legistis, male me marem putatis?
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
>>
>>7808710
>drawing books
nigga u in kindergarden?
>>
>>7809615
not exactly. Drawing books like Practice and Science by speed, Bargue drawing course, and various works by Bridgman. Lots of memorizing anatomy and proportions, theory on mark making, training observational skills, precision rendering and some super basic optics.
>>
>>7808741
le edgy swearword poem xDDD
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.