[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer science for mathematicians

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: 1001004003018383.jpg (21KB, 265x400px) Image search: [Google]
1001004003018383.jpg
21KB, 265x400px
I would love to know what books you guys recommend both applications and theory for mathematics majors.
From programming languages to implementations to automata theory.
Pic related
>>
SICP
>>
File: parsing_theory.jpg (23KB, 348x499px) Image search: [Google]
parsing_theory.jpg
23KB, 348x499px
>>7807540
>>
File: Screenshot_2016_01_13_22.57.14.png (420KB, 632x718px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016_01_13_22.57.14.png
420KB, 632x718px
>>7807540
>>
File: 31thaQbOIpL._SY445_QL70_.jpg (4KB, 279x445px) Image search: [Google]
31thaQbOIpL._SY445_QL70_.jpg
4KB, 279x445px
>>7807534
CS major here, you should look into this book.

The Art Of Computer Programming will also improve your skills immensely if you're willing to learn MMIX and do the exercises.
>>
Who still read common books in 2016?
>>
Sedgewick's Introduction to Analysis of Algorithms is a nice combinatorics book focusing on algorithm analysis
>>
File: 1439697368517.jpg (179KB, 480x710px) Image search: [Google]
1439697368517.jpg
179KB, 480x710px
>>
>>7807534
Awodey's Category Theory book is pretty good.
>>
>>7809807
What else
>>
Math and bio dual major. Unfortunately I have no coding experience, but I would like to learn R (and just how to code in a couple languages in general). Should I try to learn R first or something else? I would also like to learn C, and I've heard its a good one to start with if you're mathematically inclined.
>>
>>7810946

C doesn't really have anything to do with math. Mathematically inclined people might like a functional language like haskell, though.

C is really bare-bones and has very little abstraction.

You should probably learn C anyway though, since it's kind of a lingua-franca in the programming world, and is fairly simple (but doesn't hold your hand as much as a higher level language).
>>
Algorithms text:

>Algorithms Unlocked
Pre-CLRS book. Written by one of the CLRS books. Mathematical, doesn't assume you can program. Exposes you to the ideas of mathematically reasoning about efficiency, introduces asymptotic notation (big oh, etc), correctness, etc. Introduces sorting algorithms, etc. Teaches you from a programming independent view.

Next after that book dive into

>CLRS
Solid book on algorithms. Should have a better understanding after reading algorithms unlocked

Or move into some programming specific book on implement of algorithms. Segewick or whatever his name is is a good start.
>>
>>7811283
>needed a primer book for CLRS

Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>7807534
More or less these:
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering
>>
>>7810946

Learn C++, C is outdated and only shilled by 40 year old autistics that hate change. C's benefit over C++ only appears in really niche areas that a mathematician will never fall into.
>>
>>7810303
http://www.amazon.com/Computability-Complexity-Languages-Second-Edition/dp/0122063821
>>
>>7811302

Yes but the learning curve for writing C++ is much higher. There's a lot more features and there are also a lot of things that you need to watch out for before you can write C++ that isn't shit.

If you do learn C++, make sure to read some of the Effective C++ books though.
>>
>>7810946
>bio
R it is then

>I've heard its a good one to start with if you're mathematically inclined.
programming in general is aided by mathematical aptitude.

Python is a good bet too, then move onto C (and Cython) if the interest is still there.
>>
>>7810946
Learn python, desu. There's tons of libraries for it that will be almost instantly useful for you as a bio major.
>>
>>7811541
Also as time passes and more and more libraries/frameworks come out, the buzz is that R is generally by displaced by Python as THE tool for data analysis.
>>
>>7811470
>Yes but the learning curve for writing C++ is much higher

Do you say the learning curve for a graphing calculator is higher than a scientific? Just because there are more features doesn't mean you need to master them all before you can start adding numbers, same with programming.

Honestly, I say the learning curve is lower (but longer) for C++. You can avoid a lot of the nastiness of C until you're ready for it.

>a lot of things that you need to watch out for before you can write C++ that isn't shit

You either have to watch out for them too in C or involve something that can be ignored by the beginner.
>>
We used 'The design and analysis of computer algorithms' at uni for a class on data structures and algorithms

Was pretty good and can be found used for very little money
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.