[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How far can one go in stem with an IQ of 109?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: BlDILXP.png (854KB, 600x887px) Image search: [Google]
BlDILXP.png
854KB, 600x887px
How far can one go in stem with an IQ of 109?
>>
>>7806185
only to the land of hidden threads, no farther
>>
>>7806185
My IQ is 112 and I washed out of a STEM college plot and now I weld or cut metal plates for a living. I make 76k a year.
>>
I read somewhere (I think in the book Outliers) that for a bachelors the minimum is 100 and for a PhD the minimum is 110
>>
>>7806210
Holy shit, at least i made the mark for Ph.D.
>>
I'll guess a quarter-mile, half if you're lucky.
>>
File: received_571186849697085.jpg (62KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
received_571186849697085.jpg
62KB, 540x960px
>>7806210
Found it, 100 and 115

1/2
>>
File: received_571186846363752.jpg (79KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
received_571186846363752.jpg
79KB, 540x960px
>>7806225
2/2
>>
Feels bad to be too dumb to ever do anything worthwhile.

Eugenics when?
>>
Did you wake up and decide to become a tumor?
>>
>>7806185

I doubt someone with a 100 IQ could get a Bacholer's degree in a STEM field unless they were really, really committed and studied all the time or went to a crip college.

110 for a STEM PhD? No frigging way. I'd say at least 125.
>>
>>7806228
>>7806225
I actually had to take the Raven waay back in 3rd grade. Apparently I did really well or something cause they moved me to the "gifted" program or whatever it was.

That test was ridiculously hard though. By the end, it seemed like just random shit and I'm certain I still wouldn't be able to answer most of it to this day.
>>
>>7806225
>>7806228
>tfw couldn't solve that puzzle
>tfw never had an IQ test
>tfw am probably below average
>>
>>7806333
It's alright luv, it's the last question on the test
>>
File: disbelief.jpg (47KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
disbelief.jpg
47KB, 720x960px
>>7806225
The last box of the top row is just a 90-degree clockwise rotation of the first box of the middle row. Likewise, the last box of the middle row is a 90-degree clockwise rotation of the first box of the last row. Presumably, the first box of a fourth row would be a 90-degree counter-clockwise rotation of the solution. That's pretty much all I can figure out.

Does anyone have a solution for this bullshit?
>>
File: 1445899677990.jpg (115KB, 1000x656px) Image search: [Google]
1445899677990.jpg
115KB, 1000x656px
>>7806430
>>7806385
>>7806333
>mfw taking this in 3rd grade and nobody told me it was an IQ test, just ANON YOU NEED TO TAKE THIS TEST, IT'S IMPORTANT
>>
>>7806430
>>7806385
>>7806333
The problem was that there are noticeable patterns which can be observed which indicate more than one answer.

With some respects, one could argue that one pattern is "just as good as another" and so perhaps the test's answers aren't actually objective, even though they are puzzles.
>>
>>7806440
But that's fucking wrong. These tests are designed to only have *one* correct answer.
>>
>>7806463
Not at all, they're designed to asses how many times per second you can re-imagine a situation, and how many times you do that before you believe you know everything about a situation
>>
I have a PhD in Chemistry from Berkeley with a 104, if that's of any reassurance.
>>
>>7806185

Motivation ,determination and constant studying will bring you much more in your academic life, than 10 more IQ points.

I can see that at my university everyday: smart ppl failing, dumb ppl succeeding.
>>
>>7806185
>>7806205
>>7806505
Did you guys take an *actual* IQ test, or some shady internet bullshit or something of the like?

Any time anyone I've ever met outside of internet land tosses around their IQ score, it turns out to be from some non-legitimate test, even if it's low or average.
>>
>>7806526
Made by a psycholgist when i was 12 because i had "problems", or ar least my Teacher thought that. 128
>>
>>7806185
It's never about IQ. It's about how hard you study/practice. I have a close friend who was tested as being an IQ of 102 and she works in organic synthesis and research.
>>
>>7806530
>As a child ages, his IQ tends to regress to the mean of the population of which he is a member. This is partly due to the imperfect reliability of the test, and partly due to the uneven rate of maturation. The earlier the IQ is obtained, and the higher the score, the more the IQ can be expected to regress by the time the child becomes an adult.

Truth hurts, I know. I was told how "gifted" I was for ages despite being of only average intelligence when tested as an adult.
>>
>>7806526
i maxed out on the WISC with a 140, administered when i was 9.
>>
>>7806539
Nice man, im mostly around software engineers and other people who are extraordinary in scientific fields. Maybe my stats even raised
>>
>>7806534
I really doubt that even with work you can close the gap between the work an average person can do and even someone who's just highly intelligent. I mean you look at the work these people do and it's qualitatively different from the rank and file, and those people's work is as different from those who are superlatively intelligent.

The real question is not really "could I make it past schooling", but "if I do, will I ever be proud of my own work". Personally knowing that it is unlikely that I would ever make even a mild contribution to any rigorous field made me not want to go into them. I mean it just seems like that's confining yourself to a sort of hell, constantly watching people with more innate ability leave you in the dust and go on to do great things while you work in some corporate R&D lab as an poorly paid underling because you couldn't even push out enough shitty open pub papers to cut it in academia. Which is already so saturated with high potential that it isn't even funny.
>>
>>7806559
You are correct in all that you have stated, that there lies a correlation between IQ and the academic tier of work actualized by the individual. If you are approaching stem as a kind of 'scholarly' tournament than it simply won't offer you much in return. I went into stem research a few years ago, for the most part involving endless bioinformatic testing of inorganic substances. The state of the lab and its facilities was supernatural due to the foreign investments our research troupe was receiving. Never had I felt so 'in my element' than there. We never grounded any notable advances through our research, but we contributed vastly to the scientific whole in essentially 'marking off' the compounds which didn't have an effect in 'x' research subject. I enjoyed my job, vehemently, for this reason alone: the tiny contribution to progressing towards a 'breakthrough'.
>>
>>7806645
Fair enough, I suppose I was projecting my own ineffectual perfectionism onto others without any reason. My apologies.
>>
>>7806205
Wasn't there a study done some time ago that showed something along the lines of smarter/more educated people tending to go more into manual labor than stick with their degree? It's been a while and I forgot to save it.
>>
>>7807537
people that solve problems to create actual results in the world are smarter than pseudo-intellectual academics toiling away with abstractions
>>
>>7806323

A guy on here claims to be a physics Phd with an IQ of 109.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.