[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the probability that a coin ends up on its side

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

What's the probability that a coin ends up on its side in a coin toss?
>>
depends on the thickness of the coin you fucking retard.
>>
>>7805084
Doesn't it depend on the relative position of the moon?
>>
>>7805084
Oh yeah? And what equation, theorem or peer-reviewed paper supports that?
>>
50%

Either it does or it doesn't.
>>
>>7805079
I read that it's essentially impossible, because the coin is never a perfect shape with an evenly distributed mass and the environment is never perfect either. A sort of Chaos Theory idea that too many variables exist to even attempt to calculate the odds, only that the odds are non-zero. The paper was about ballistics and accuracy, but somehow this came up.
>>
"Probability of a tossed coin landing on edge"
Daniel B. Murray and Scott W. Teare
Phys. Rev. E 48, 2547 – Published 1 October 1993

http://journals.aps.org/pre/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevE.48.2547
>>
0.0167 %
>>
>>7805138
holy fuck

/sci/ fucking delivers
>>
I imagine it's also only possible to land on the edge if you first bounced once.

If it lands straight on the edge after the fall it would still have too much energy from the spin to stay upright.
>>
>>7805138
Impressive!
>>
>>7805138
Lol
>>
Imagine a sphere with the same radius as the coin. Imagine a band around the equator of this sphere with the same thickness as the coin's edge. The upper limit of the probability of landing on the edge is likely to be the area of that band as a percentage of the sphere's total surface area. I say "upper limit" because even if the coin lands on its side at first, it will continue to bounce and spin, making it unstable until it stops moving.
>>
>>7805188
>hey lets make something up about energy to sound scientific

I'm pretty sure no law of the universe states that only coins which bounce first can land on their edge
>>
About three fidy
>>
>>7805188
That's not how energy transfer works.
>>
>>7805259
I didn't intend to "sound scientific". It just doesn't seem possible for it to land on it's edge right away and not tip over due to the preserved momentum from being spun as you would in a regular coin toss.

>>7805449
Explain.
>>
>>7805483
If the center of mass of the coin hits table at a 90º angle then the force will dissipate perfectly, bouncing back depends on the properties of the surface where the coin lands.
>>
>>7805079
-1/12
>>
What's the probability that the coin lands on a surface?
>>
>>7805261
I have a PhD in inter universal tech-mühle theory. Can confirm.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.