[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Voyager I is still 300 years away from the Oort Cloud >will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

File: Voyager_spacecraft.jpg (941KB, 3017x2494px) Image search: [Google]
Voyager_spacecraft.jpg
941KB, 3017x2494px
>Voyager I is still 300 years away from the Oort Cloud
>will take ~30,000 years to get through it

Why do we even try as a species?
>>
>>7804829
I feel the same way some times to be honest.

Can't we at least genetically engineer some self propogating space whale or something? I don't want an undetectable chunk of metal to be our only legacy.
>>
Kill yourself.
>>
>>7804829
The Voyager probes were not created to leave the Solar System, you autismal dimwit.
>>
>>7804858
...yeah they were. We else did we tape the disk of collective Earth faggotry on it?
>>
>>7804863
Read, for fucks sake:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_program
>>
>>7804881
I know what the primary mission was, the point is we planned for them to leave which is why we glued on the disk.
>>
>>7804895
The golden record was an afterthought. Voyagers were meant to explore the outer planets. They didnt design them to get to the Oort cloud as fast as possible.
>>
It strikes me as odd that we haven't had a go at sending a small probe with a long battery life as fast as we can away from Earth.

I mean, reasonably how fast could we get one past Voyager I?
>>
>>7804923
Voyager 1 is going nearly 40,000 mph you retard. Its not like we have a star trek warp drive to power this shit.
>>
>>7804923
A small probe would'nt go very fast. Space propulsion relies on carrying fuel for mass reaction or large energy sources for ion engines.

So they haven't made a large probe go fast because it's expensive and why?
>>
>>7804923
Pretty damn fast so long as you do an orbital fueling and launch.
>>
>>7804946

Can't we make one that does 60,000mph at the same point then?
>>
>>7804956
>why?
Because if you rub your junk on it you will always be able to one up anyone at parties.
>>
File: Thousandau1_space_probe.jpg (154KB, 500x388px) Image search: [Google]
Thousandau1_space_probe.jpg
154KB, 500x388px
>>7804956
Because it's expensive is pretty much it. Space Agencies have limited budgets and building. There have been plenty of proposals for doing so, but none of them have taken off.

Pic related. It's a proposed NASA probe that would have gone 1000 AU in under 50 years (Via a 10 year long ion engine burn taking which would have ended at 100 AU out) in order to obtain lulzy parallax measurements.
>>
>>7804967
Helios 2 hit 157k mph.

We could probably do faster if we decided to make a probe that was on the end of a space launched system with a trajectory that took advantage of more than a few (and including the Sun's) gravity wells simply to see how fast we could get something to go.
>>
>>7804895
Because Carl Sagan mang.
>>
>>7804829
even with the best tech pushing the limits of physics we are bound to our solar system in human lifetimes

we should go ultimate comfy and colonize venus and mars, maybe fish on europa and fuck on the moon
>>
>>7805087
>in order to obtain lulzy parallax measurements.

Curious how it would even have the power to transmit information 1000AU, let alone in an intelligible format.

Not my area of expertise.
>>
>>7805371
The Communications system planned was a 10 W Laser transmitter with a 1 meter telescope for receiving. The probe's laser would be received by a 10 meter telescope in LEO which would relay the data to earth.
>>
>>7804829

Let's make it even more depressing.

(Say) There's plenty of intelligent life in the universe - our own galaxy is teeming with it, on many thousands of worlds. But everything is so fucking far apart that none of them can communicate with each other. Each is in his own private hell.
>>
>>7805244
>venus
please stop forcind that meme
>>
>>7805711
No, you stop forcing that one.
>>
>>7805715
>rains of sulfuric acid at hundreds deegres C
>perfect for colonization or terraforming
>>
Wow, we discover ONE more planet that is SOMEWHAT closer to the Oort Cloud, and now we here nonstop garbage about the Oort Cloud this and the Oort Cloud that.

I remember a time when I was blissfully unaware of the Oort Cloud...
>>
>>7805738
That was a long-ass time ago, friendo
>>
File: millennium.jpg (37KB, 400x247px) Image search: [Google]
millennium.jpg
37KB, 400x247px
>>7804829
That's a pretty good accomplishment for a species that was hanging about in trees a mere 120K years ago (some still are). What you're asking for is FTL travel, which there are a number of theories of how to accomplish and you may even see in your lifetime. The net best thing is close to light-speed travel, that you will definitely see in your life time.
>>
>>7805813
Anatomically modern humans are 200,000 years old
Get your facts straight aspie
>>
>>7804829

Expanding the life span we have and spam signals all over the milky way. Only fucking chance that we have to leave this solar system.
>>
>>7805829
I was going based on when our brain reached it's current size, which was a little over 100K years ago.
>>
>>7805657
Underrated post
>>
>>7805657
I had a theory that you only get one infinitely repeating variable per equation, so each celestial object has a single unit with "life" on it. You can scale that down to "this is the only planet with life" but you can also scale it up to "there is one planet in each solar system with molecular structures that iterate indefinitely"

Those molecular structures will have to operate on whichever physical properties the surface of the planet pertains to, though. Could be completely abstract of a human. Just psychology represented through matter.

It makes me like to think that every planet has life, just life fit for that planet. Some kind of sentient rock formation or fluid dispersion that iterates around the planet on a yearly cycle. Life.

It also makes me think that the closest thing there is to "earth" with "humans" and "psychological creatures" is earths mathematical position on the next neighboring galaxy, out of the milkyway completely.

again, though, being one "chaos equation" in the system, that's assuming each individual system gets a chaos equation, and not that earth is the universe's chaos equation
>>
File: 1424425139519.gif (848KB, 665x662px) Image search: [Google]
1424425139519.gif
848KB, 665x662px
>>7805657
fuck the speed of light

FUCK IT TO HELL
>>
>>7805657
>(Say) There's plenty of intelligent life in the universe - our own galaxy is teeming with it, on many thousands of worlds. But everything is so fucking far apart that none of them can communicate with each other. Each is in his own private hell.
so just like earthlings: billions of individuals who can hardly communicate.... and with no certainty that other humans are ''humans''
>>
>>7804829
>>7804829
Because we have to start doing it some time. And they did it. It is a beginning, exploring the edges of our Solar system. So you think the first probe humans would send into space would be some huge ship with people on board and billions of dollars worth equipment? In science we go step by step and dont use everything we have at rhe first time. We also had the bow and arrow before we had the atomic bomb.
>>
>>7804829

That was decades ago. Technology has advanced since then, perhaps not to the degree that would enable a manned interstellar voyage, but nonetheless there have been advanced in propulsion and such. Give it another century or two, I'm sure that humanity will discover a feasible way to travel to at least, the nearby stars.
>>
>>7805728
There is a point in the upper atmosphere of venus where the temparature and pressure is comparable to earths, so we could fly in zepelins or something
>>
File: uczucie_pepe_1.png (9KB, 338x339px) Image search: [Google]
uczucie_pepe_1.png
9KB, 338x339px
>>7805813
>The net best thing is close to light-speed travel, that you will definitely see in your life time.
I wouldn't be so sure of THAT, faggot!

Wait, fuck...
>>
>>7805728
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_Venus#Aerostat_habitats_and_floating_cities
>>
>>7806580
Schizophrenia is some wild shit.
>>
File: Gotta_go_fast.gif (60KB, 466x367px) Image search: [Google]
Gotta_go_fast.gif
60KB, 466x367px
>>7805101
Well why the fuck not?!
>>
>>7805101
>Helios 2 hit 157k mph.
Yeah, at perihelion... not really the same thing. Oberth effect is fucking massive down there though, so if you could bring 5-10 km/s of DV down to about 1/10th of an AU we could dwarf Voyager's Sol C3 speed, no slingshots necessary (AND since we aren't constrained by planetary orbits we would have a much wider range of possible directions we could fling the probe in, if it matters at all).
>We could probably do faster if we decided to make a probe that was on the end of a space launched system with a trajectory that took advantage of more than a few (and including the Sun's) gravity wells simply to see how fast we could get something to go.
The planets won't be lined up for another Grand Tour for another century and a half. Multiple gravity assists are only useful for raw velocity when things are perfectly aligned; otherwise it's generally more desirable just to dig into the deepest gravity well as hard as you can instead, regardless of where it sends you. That's why Voyager 1 managed to outrun Voyager 2, despite only performing 2 assists instead of 4; the detour imposed on Voyager 2 actually cost more velocity than the extra assists provided.
>>
File: 1284445222.63422814.jpg (61KB, 468x317px) Image search: [Google]
1284445222.63422814.jpg
61KB, 468x317px
>fast forward one hundred thousand years in the future
>humans somehow survived all this time and have gained the ability to travel to every star in the galaxy, everyone is ecstatic of the possibilities
>fast forward another fifty thousand years
>various ruins of ancient, million and billion year old alien civilizations are found
>evidence of some being capable of interstellar travel
>all destroyed by some sort of war
>no currently living intelligence is ever found
>turns out we were the last in our galaxy to evolve sentience
>>
>>7804829
Voyager was the happiest accident this world ever created. It was literally made to slingshot off of the alignment of the planets. No matter how much time passes, there will NEVER be an event as inspiring to me as the Voyager story was and is.
>>
>>7805711
>>7805728

Is there no chemical reaction that can nullify sulfuric acid? I always thought that colonizing Venus is far more sensible than Mars (if we can get around Venus' shitty atmosphere)
>>
>>7804843
Some alien species is gonna find readings about our desperate attempt to leave a mark in the universe. And that's when they'll have earthaboos who think End of Evangelion is a masterpiece from a race of people who were far superior to their own.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.