[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, question ahead that may appear pretty dumb to you, but still

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

Ok, question ahead that may appear pretty dumb to you, but still listen:

I'm living in austria fyi and lately came to doubt that people we consider ignorant and stupid really exist. I mean, I never personally met one, the people around me are just fine and always were, even the people in elementary school were pretty average. Yes, I may have seen them on the TV, social media, all that stuff. But I have never ever met one face to face, no one that was like "Uh, I have no idea what you're talking about." Everyone was pretty fine and could talk and argue on a basic, average level. Maybe it's because I'm generally not using words with more than 4 syllables when I'm talking to strangers, but even when I'm talking about slightly complicated things, they still seem to get it.

So, even though it is over the internet again, I would like to hear some experiences. Have you ever really talked face to face with a clearly dumb person that couldn't even really understand conversations that go a little bit into meaning? I'm really not talking about some chats on the internet, or some phone supported that didn't get your complaint or whatever. Just plain human conversation.

And if so, how was he/she acting stupid? How was it coming to light?

>inb4 maybe you're just the stupid one
I have thought about that, but since my IQ is 128 I ditched that idea

>inb4 maybe you should just go out more
That may be a pretty good advice actually, but I still don't think I should have to search for them, if the IQ curve puts roughly 50% on and under the 100 point mark
>>
Or more direct, why do people believe people who can't comprehend basic language are common, when I never talked to one? Where are they? Is being stupid just believing propaganda and simplistic ideals, which is way more common?

What is stupidity?
>>
>>7804806
>why do people believe people who can't comprehend basic language are common
because everyone pictures themselves better than anyone else, duh
>>
>>7804810
So, "stupid people" are just a stereotype and actually only exist rarely?

Then back to my question, what is general stupidity and how did you encounter it
>>
>>7804819
I'm pretty darn lucky that I haven't met plain stupid people, but sometimes I call so the people that are very stubborn and can not take the facts well, but only hold onto their fucking beliefs based on practically nonexistent experience.

These stubborn people, I believe, happen to be so on behavior level, like how they've been raised or some shit.
>>
>>7804819
People are stupid
Persons can be smart
>>
>>7804796

Speak to a kid with down's syndrome

Or try talking to someone with schizophrenia on medication (debilitated recall and reasoning ability)
>>
>>7804853
That are still genetic illnesses, and I don't consider them anywhere near "common", they are extremely extraordinary, and your schizophrenic example is even induced artifically
>>
>>7804864

~1 in 100 people have schizophrenia

Statistically, that means probably 6 of the people from your elementary school have or will have schizophrenia (age of onset is usually early/mid 20s)

Schizophrenic people have impaired cognitive ability, even when they're not on medication and not experiencing a psychotic episode

For example, one way of screening for schizophrenia is to do a 'proverb test'. The phrase "a rolling stone gathers no moss" would be interpreted literally, because schizophrenia makes people think in 'concrete' terms

Unintelligence *is* a genetic illness
>>
>>7804796
If you hear someone say "people are stupid/dumb/idiots" its most likely them who's the dumb ones. Or they're just really immature.
>>
>>7804969
Well, a rolling stone indeed gathers no moss
>>
>>7804969
>1% of the population has schizophrenia
No.
>>
File: rate.png (10KB, 563x215px) Image search: [Google]
rate.png
10KB, 563x215px
>>7805004

Yes.
>>
>>7804796
Oi mate watta put on da baabbie ye cunt
>>
>>7805074
There are about 100 mental illnesses which are believed to be 1%. How should this work?
>>
>>7804796
what are you on about OP?
no fucking shit stupid people exist.
I've met countless people who speak like retards, are bad at science/mathematics, are socially autistic, people who stay stubborn and ignorant when presented with evidence
And loads of other areas where this can apply
They're everywhere man, I reckon either you're just lucky or haven't spoken to the ones you meet enough to realise
>>
>>7806613
Because multiple people can possess more than a single mental illness. It's common knowledge that people diagnosed with a single mental illness are more likely to be predisposed to having other issues with mental health. Come on anon, this is a thread about stupid people, don't be one of them.
>>
>>7804969
Well I have schizophrenia and I'm not stupid at all.
>>
>>7806715
I can agree to this. Most mental illnesses are more likely to be seen on highly intelligent people
>>
>>7804796
Ok, i'm living in austria too and there are loads of stupid people.
I guess you live in a big city and only talk to people in college/near college?
Try growing up in a small inbred austrian moutain village.
Try talking to someone from the "poorer" working class district in your city.

You should definetely go out more often
>>
>>7806627
The only examples I have heard from people yet to prove that idiots exist are exactly the same as in this thread.
Not one example or report of exactly how he was stupid (Without having a mental illness like down syndrome, autism, whatever),
just "He can't talk to people", "He can't understand me, because I was using bullshit words nobody knows", "He believes simplistic ideals sprout by the media", "He wants to keep in his happy religious word and doesn't want to believe all the scientific facts I presented him"
It really appears very subjective, do you consider those examples I just gave to define stupidity or ignorance?

Again, what is stupidity, how do you define it? I want something specific, an exact report of a conversation with a normal stupid person that has no mental illness. If they are everywhere, that really shouldn't be hard. How did you figure out those people are stupid?
>>
>>7806737
I'm living near St. Pölten, so..
>big city
>academic
>>
>>7804796
I once knew a girl who was at a party and she kept insisting everyone watch vines of people twerking and talking about cocks. These people exist.

>I have thought about that, but since my IQ is 128 I ditched that idea
You do know IQs are subjective and even measuring your intelligence on a scale is incredibly stupid. Do you know the original purpose of an IQ test? It was invented to test way back when which kids were mentally handicapped and anyone below a certain score was locked in their parents basement and shunned by society.

>I still don't think I should have to search for them
>"Why don't stupid people exist?"
>"I'm not even going to bother searching for them"
That's why. It's not they don't exist, you're just incredibly stupid and lazy.
>>
>>7806742
I work at a store that happens to sell educational books for young children. A few days ago, a customer was examining one of these books when she came across a page with the instructions, "Draw a line between each animal and its home." The pictures of animals, on the left, included a pig, a dog, a bear, a bee, and a bird. The animal homes, on the right, included a bird's nest, a cave, a dog house, a pig pen, and a beehive.

I observed as the woman stared at this page for a few moments, before asking me, "What are you supposed to do?" I read the instructions to her. She stared at me. I told her that, for example, the dog could be matched to the doghouse by drawing a line. She didn't understand. I went on, telling her that, for another example, the bear could be matched to the beehive. Her husband urged her to go, as they had already paid for their things, and he was becoming embarrassed. Her jaw was slack. Her eyes burned a hole in my face. I continued, "The bee..."

This is just one of many, many, many encounters with genuinely stupid people I have had in my lifetime.
>>
>>7806839
* bear could be matched to the cave
derp
>>
>>7804796
it seems you are one of said stupid people op, obviously stupid people exist.
Therefore the point of this thread is either to show the world that you live in a haven of educated geniuses, or that you simply wish to shitpost on a Somalian raft critique website
>>
>>7804969
John Nash would like to have a talk with you.
>>
>>7804969
>schizophrenia makes people think in 'concrete' terms

Where did you learn this nonsense?
A psychology book from the 70's?

Schizo's are generally delusional creatives, often never taking things solely at their basic meaning.

If only psychology was a real science.
>>
>>7806839
I met this one girl who tried to join the Army. She scored on the 3rd percentile of the ASVAB after about 20 tries and she thought astronauts could hold stars in their hands.

I don't even know how she managed to tie her shoes.
>>
>>7804969
A schizophrenic would interpret the phrase "a rolling stone gathers no moss" as proof positive that the world is a simulation made by ayy lmaos and that the gubmint is watching them.

Their thought patterns are the complete opposite of stable and literal.
>>
>>7804852
Hats are black
Tophats are white
>>
>>7805099
Op says Austria,not Australia

I was literally about to post PRISON CONTINENT
>>
>>7806715
Maybe you aren't, but your original alter ego could be

Also
>trusting a schizophrenic person
Kek
>>
>>7806839
Was she hot though?
>>
File: 81057.gif (33KB, 600x275px) Image search: [Google]
81057.gif
33KB, 600x275px
>>7806715
>>7807092
>>7807139
>>7807108

My mother has schizophrenia so I know first hand what they are like

Schizophrenia is correlated with high intelligence, but that intellect degrades over time. Pre-onset, you're likely to have poorer than normal memory for instance. And once you get it, you can't think abstractly even if you have 'insight' (realize you have schizophrenia).

It makes you very forgetful and unable to even hold a proper conversation. They don't always have delusions in their heads, at least not if they're on medication, but if you try to explain how to do a simple task, they either won't be able to learn it properly or will forget it. I guess a small proportion of schizophrenics can still function adequately, but my mother has insight and she could never hold down a job for more than two weeks.

It's kind of like having dementia I guess
>>
>>7806839
That is a good example, but from your description are you sure she had no mental/genetical illness?
>>
>>7807386
She was some old, saggy black lady.

>>7809182
I don't think it's possible for a stupid person to not be mentally ill in some fashion or another. If you take a stupid person's brain and compare it to a normal person's, there will surely be some kind of difference in the stupid person's that could be said to be a defect or mental illness, even if it's not immediately obvious or discernible by modern medicine.

In other words, if you are stupid, then by definition, there MUST be something wrong with your brain.
>>
>>7807712
She could have been misdiagnosed, the symptoms you describe are much more akin to early onset dementia or any other degenerative disease (Parkinson's or Alzheimer) than to your typical paranoid schizophrenia. Unless, of course , she is a disorganized schizophrenic. There are 4 subtypes of schizophrenia: paranoid, disorganized, catatonic and mixed.

As for the concretist / delusional debate: both are possible, together or not. But concretism usually only appears on disorganized schizophrenics
>>
>>7809632

She had her first psychotic break when she was in her 20s when I was a baby and thought she was an angel sent by god, went on a rampage with a knife, announced she was going to kill me, etc.

Her mother has schizophrenia too
>>
>>7804796
>really exist
>>>/x/
>>
>>7807108
So... It's the polar opposite of autism?
>>
>>7807712
You're misdiagnosing the condition; Schizos are wrapped up in their own little world and don't know WHY they should pay attention to reality. It's a side-effect of creating too much comfort. There's no good solution to it because you can't use mental abuse to cure mental abuse; the mere existence of terms like gaslighting are evidence of that, if nothing else.
>>
>>7809282
>could be said to be a defect or mental illness
You are a toxic aspect of modern society. Highly.
>>
>>7804796
The way your naturally choose to communicate is the source of the selection bias you've described.

It's only when you meet a challenging new idea that you bother trying to communicate it to anyone else. If you tried to actually build up the reasons you have to believe in the thing you're talking about, people would be more attentive.
>>
>>7806745
you're probably surrounded by people with above average intelligence and as a result assume that this is in fact the average.
truth is, it really is not. there are a lot of dumb people out there. of course they are capable of understanding a simple conversation but when faced with an actual problem it becomes very apparent that they are just not as smart as you might be.
t. another austrian
>>
>>7810011
not you again
>>
>>7810013
No, the polar opposite of autism would probably be one of the Cluster B Personality Disorders, as they are dependant on sociability to avoid suffering.
>>
>>7804796
I'm a university professor and I can vouch for the existence of stupid people. Lord knows I wish they wouldn't exist... I swear I feel like I'm teaching a kindergarten class sometimes.
>>
>>7810574
Examples please
>>
>>7804969
>For example, one way of screening for schizophrenia is to do a 'proverb test'. The phrase "a rolling stone gathers no moss" would be interpreted literally, because schizophrenia makes people think in 'concrete' terms
You were somewhat correct in your assumption of schizophrenia up until this point.

Taking things literally is a large indication of being on the autistic spectrum. 4chan can benefit from learning more about Autism Spectrum Disorder but no need to spew misinformation about schizophrenia in the process. If people want that, they can visit /x/.
>>
>>7804796
teenagers are pretty stubborn. so are marines.

just spend 5 minutes talking to either one about politics and just see if you don't lose your temper.
>>
>>7810632
>all teenagers are dumb
what m8. they are just not fully developed
>>
>>7804969
>For example, one way of screening for schizophrenia is to do a 'proverb test'.
Are you getting all this from that one open Stanford lecture

that guy's full of shit, not only do schizophrenic people think like that but more often they take things the exact opposite of literally and spin it into a very odd interpretation.
>>
>>7804796
There are many people who can barely read and find managing a cash register or stocking shelves intellectually taxing. These people are not just uneducated, they have a hard time thinking abstractly.

I'm not saying this to talk myself up. I know many people like this and they are good people but they are just not clever or even average.
>>
>>7810645
no, they are fucking idiots.

I was a teenager once, and back then I was dumb as a fucking rock.

inb4 "not much changed"
>>
>>7810018
Tell me: What does a stupid person without mental illness look like? There's no such beast.

The human brain is a machine like any other; free will doesn't exist. Any errors in the output of a machine betrays a fault in the machine itself.

I have a feeling that you're getting ass-blasted over what you perceive to be my political leaning. The funny thing is that you couldn't be more wrong.
>>
A lot of stupid people are able to carry on conversations that they don't really understand by just going "yeah" and nodding or changing the subject. A lot of people will speak with authority when they have no idea what they're talking about, too.

It's pretty much impossible to know how well informed somebody is through casual conversation unless they're extremely retarded, like downs syndrome or fetal alcohol syndrome
>>
>>7806657
The diagnosis criteria are bullshit then, there's no way 1% of people are legit schizophrenic
>>
>>7810745
But everything in that age is just as dumb as the other. So they are not "stupid", they just need to grow up and develop more
>>
>>7804796
I know dumb people, I had many experiences, the last was this weekend, I met some friends of my cousin. They believed that they could plug a strip to itself and that way have unlimitted free energy by pluggin other things to the same strip
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.