[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /sci/ I have the opportunity to graduate with two degrees

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Sup /sci/

I have the opportunity to graduate with two degrees in chemistry and mathematics.

I've taken enough classes and earned enough credits to get BS degrees in both however my college is really bizarre and will let you graduate with only one BS degree (the other has to be BA, MS, etc.).

So my question is this:
Should I graduate with a BS in Chemistry and a BA in math or a BA in Chemistry and a BS in math?

I'm not really sure if BS vs BA makes a difference in the job market.
>>
>>7804478
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say get the BS in Chemistry. There are a lot more industrial applications, and if you're American, you can become an ACS certified chemist with a BS (I believe you can't with a BA). A degree in maths will look good no matter what.
>>
>>7804478
>I'm not really sure if BS vs BA makes a difference in the job market.
It probably doesn't, but I'd go with BS in chem, personally.

More importantly, wtf is going on in that pic?
>>
>>7804514
>A degree in maths will look good no matter what.
I feel kinda gypped though. I've earned enough credits for two BS degrees :(

Does the ACS certification really matter that much?

>>7804515
>It probably doesn't, but I'd go with BS in chem, personally.
That's what I was leaning towards. Chemistry is a science and math is an art so it only makes sense to do a BS and BA in the respective fields.
>>
>>7804478

what the fuck is a Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry? I get that Math could be considered under science or art, but chem?

brb, getting a Bachelor of Social Work in Physics
>>
>>7804592
I wouldn't get too hung up on the "art" element of the BA. In short, it's a degree that is a bit more broad in focus, whereas a BS is requires a more narrow study of the field. BA's require fewer credits in the specific area of study, which is why OP has good reason to be mad that he can't graduate with two BS's.
>>
>>7804592
At my low tier university, a BA in chemistry only requires a"Fundamentals in Physical Chemistry" and the BSc requires regular P.chem 1 and 2. Basically, the BA is geared to students who want to go to med school; it's a preprofessional degree.
>>
>>7804586
I can't say for sure if the ACS really matters a whole lot, but I think it's more of a resume thing and it adds another aspect of judging your competence when applying for jobs. There are tons of jobs for a BS in chemistry regardless though, so it most likely wouldn't be a deal-breaker.
>>
>>7804478
BA verses BS in math usually doesn't imply anything in most schools. Plus you can always say you've completed both BS's on your resume.
>>
>>7804478
I'm getting a BA in math and a BS in EE. In my case however, there just no BS option for math. There is no restrictions on degree limit though.

I just take the opportunity to take it like a joke and call my self a science artist. That pisses off the Arts students I know.
>>
>>7804603

it's a retard's degree
>>
>>7804478
Speaking as a person with a chemistry degree, the job market is kinda shitty, and you're better off focusing in math
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.