[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you organize and name your papers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: papers.png (54KB, 525x453px) Image search: [Google]
papers.png
54KB, 525x453px
How do you organize and name your papers?
>>
making a lot of assumptions there
>>
>>7803955
Jesus that looks tedious.

Just use Mendeley.
>>
>>7803955
>>7803955
i don't bother renaming each individual paper as i have thousands of them

I just have different folders for the different topics i'm interested in and save papers in there
>>
>>7803955
That looks like a good strategy. Why do you need improvement?
Assuming you also sort them by topic somehow
>>
>>7803963
i just installed it and it's giving me unknown on a ton of stuff lol
>>
File: 2016-01-23-134151_1920x1080_scrot.png (1016KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-23-134151_1920x1080_scrot.png
1016KB, 1920x1080px
>>7803974
It's always worked for me.

All these files are still in their original download name. When I download a new paper I dump it in the appropriate folder and add on a folder basis to organise, Medeley finds all the information in pic related automatically, the advantages of keeping it in the original name is it can more easily find missing information too. That might be your problem, but it should be finding the meta data on your newer pdfs.

You can have it synced to the cloud too, which sounds unnessecary untill you're sitting bored at an airport one day.
>>
>>7803989
I tried calibre once and had the same problem with the other guy. Shit annoyed me and I uninstalled it immediately. Calibre is aimed at storybook plebs.

I'm worried this mendeley will have the same problems. Also, does it have an option to rename files? Ideally I'd want software that works like easyTag but for music.
>>
i just save the pdf under its designated name but I add first and last author names and title and year and journal abbreviation to it, if necessary. and i organize them simply in folders. filenames can be be long enough today, and searching files with the computer is easy enough. i never use reference manager, i hate it even if that means that formatting the reference section in a paper takes more time. it took me some years to get disciplined enough to do it that way, but i look down on people who are slaves to their shitty ms word refman plugins.
>>
>>7805171
How do you name documents with multiple authors?
>>
>>7805132
You can edit the meta text. I'm not sure if Mendelay has options to automatically rename the file names to the meta titles.
>>
AuthorName_Year
>>
>>7805171
>Being a slave to the MS Jew at all.
>Not just letting Mendelay generate your BibTex file for you.
>Not being a part of the seamless system all journals use for reference management.

I seriously hope you guys don't do this.
>>
File names go in the form AbrvJrnlName.Issue.Page
Organization is that all papers on a given overarching topic goes into one folder which has a spread sheet with all the citation information (Journal citation, authors, title, year), whether the paper is experimental, numerical or theoretical, and what particular aspect the paper looks at (the magnetic properties of the system, for example) along with a a few sentences summarizing the paper.
>>
>>7805378
I'm not that guy but I'd rather use a latex package than deal with bibTeX directly.
>>
>>7805442
Mendeley's export option lets you generate the bibTeX automatically, you don't have to edit it or anything. Just pick your bibliography style in the main source code.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.