[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The worst combination: Introvert in Biotech You are forced

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8

File: biotech.jpg (52KB, 350x270px) Image search: [Google]
biotech.jpg
52KB, 350x270px
The worst combination:

Introvert in Biotech

You are forced to become friendly with a group of people (that may or may not rotate shifts at ungodly hours) that are 100% confirmed normies that went to college and enjoy a white collar lifestyle. You have to work in pairs and teams for long shifts and constantly watch one another and verify one another's work.

You MUST be part of the pack and you MUST love football...or else you are a weirdo.

Oh, and don't worry. Diversity quotas make sure that there are PLENTY of women at work, too!
>>
>>7803655
I actually not sure if the woman part is sarcasm or he actually means it
>>
File: 1442851461571.jpg (46KB, 680x684px) Image search: [Google]
1442851461571.jpg
46KB, 680x684px
i'm interested in becoming an engineering technician. it's a 2 year degree and apparently you can paid like 75k/year. thing is, can i go back and become a legit engineer? do i have to take a full program or can i get equivalency? am i forever a trade slave? i'm torn up about making money but i'm worried about my education. doing CAD stuff is nothing new to me. i want to be able to study fluid mechanics later on.

thoughts?
>>
File: 1453208745513.jpg (146KB, 708x664px) Image search: [Google]
1453208745513.jpg
146KB, 708x664px
>>7803647
>mfw I'm an introvert who likes football and wouldn't mind meeting like-minded qt girls in research
>in CE
JUST
>>
>>7803749
If you're okay with capping out at the level then its fine. Otherwise if you really want to do engineering on the cheap, go to a community college and then transfer to a state school
>>
>>7803765
you mean like show a high GPA then apply to transfer credits?
>>
>>7803733
yea actually, just reread op, who knows?
>>
>>7803647
Wew lad

Any job is gonna require you to interact with people

This isnt school anymore dummy
>>
Dead physicist. Unable to work due to death.
>>
>>7803647

Biotech is a pretty wide industry. I'm sure you could get a gig doing computational work in big pharma (Genentech, Pfizer, etc.) that would have less normies.
>>
Fuck man there's nothing worse than being sorrounded by normies. I can mingle with them, but I can never be really close to people unless they have some kind of fucked up sense of humor. It feels like I have to put on a facade, gets tiring.
>>
>>7803772
They are cheaper, in some ways better, and you can change your major/make mistakes without them being such a financial burden.
>>
>>7803761
Nice meme program
>>
>>7804300
I FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME WAY.
I had lab partners this year (studying biochem, full of normies) that finally shared some of my humour.
It felt so fucking great being able to LAUGH for real.
>>
>>7804300
>finished undergrad in Psychology
>entire last two and a half years was exactly this with the addition of being surrounded by women
>don't see anything changing when I start my M.A.
>>
>>7804429
>BA Psychology
>not BS in neuro
>>
>>7804434
Where did I say I got a BA in Psych? An undergrad in neurosci wasn't even offered at my college so that was out of my control.
>>
>>7803647
I'd love to get into biotech. I'm a third year biochemistry and molecular bio/physics student. Would I need to get a post-graduate degree to get a good spot in a lab, or what?

Also:
>complaining about women in the work place
Autism knows no bounds
>>
>>7803749
>it's a 2 year degree and apparently you can paid like 75k/year
Mid-career yes, possibly more depending on your area and if you work in a place with danger pay.

>thing is, can i go back and become a legit engineer?
There's two "tech(s)" in engineering.
Engineering technician dimploma is very practical and won't give you any credits in a univeristy engineering course, the advantage being that there is currently a much higher demand for them and your training period is quicker. You'll out earn most university degrees holder period and out earn some STEM bachelor graduates on average too.
Engineering technologist degrees while also practically orientated have more theory and math up to diffyQs, but usually take ~4 years to complete, though the advantage is that you will get credits for most of the courses in the first two years of an engineering bachelors if you go back to university for it. AA degrees are similar to technologist, but less useful for employment.

>trade slave
I don't understand this meme in our generation. Working is not being a slave, you can quit any time, people (other than kids on the internet) handle you with respect, you get paid for it, you get to travel. It's far better than being a NEET with no money or real freedom to do what they want with their spare time.

>i'm torn up about making money but i'm worried about my education. doing CAD stuff is nothing new to me. i want to be able to study fluid mechanics later on.
In the first place nothing prevents you from picking up textbooks at any point in your life, just grab titles from:
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki//sci/_Wiki

Secondly if you aren't studying on scholarships etc. it's usually better to find work first as your company will often pay for further training.
>>
File: introvert-extravert.jpg (122KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
introvert-extravert.jpg
122KB, 1280x720px
>>7804300
> confessions of an Intj.
>>
>>7804422
Nice meme post and meme life you cock-inhaling faggot
>>
>>7803647

define "normie"
>>
I'm flustered by this. I feel like I should google "how to have conversations with coworkers during work" and "what to say to coworkers during manufacturing hours" but I'm sure the answers will be shit and probably written by people like me.
>>
>>7804947
People who know about football, talk about it constantly and laugh at dumb things they say to each other.
>>
Eh, in the workplace nobody really gives a shit so long as you do a good job. Sports are a joke, nobody really gives a shit about watching people play a game. It's stupid as fuck, the only point of sports is the shit-talking culture around it. Just pick a team and say all the other teams are garbage.
>>
>>7804480
should i try to do that or should i just go to university as a part timer in that time frame?
>>
>>7804947

Someone who shits in the toilet rather than in a paper bag.
>>
>>7804480
>In the first place nothing prevents you from picking up textbooks at any point in your life,

LOL. Kids actually believe this?

Yeah, technically, it's true. However, the older you get, the harder it is to muster the energy to pick up a textbook after a 50+ hour workweek. And, if you've got a wife or children, game over, man, game over. There are people who are exceptions, of course, but that's the general rule.
>>
>>7805469
>who is Leonard Susskind
>>
>>7805469
i don't have kids or any debt. i'm just stuck with trying to figure out whether i should go upgrade my marks taking classes in university so i can apply for a degree program, or if i should try to get a college diploma in technician shit then try to go apply for a degree program.
>>
>>7803733
As someone that left biotech for compsci
It was 80-20 F M ratio in the QC floors that op is referring to
>>
>>7803647
OP, I do biotech too and (unluckily) live in Brazil, you probably are a thousand miles from me, but the scenario is the same, just chance the "football fans" to soccer fans and the normies to religious people that is just too stupid to pass in cell biology, the most important theme here... So, you are not alone.
>>
>>7803647
>>7805488
>>7805617
As a student who has always been fascinated by biotech, why exactly do these kind of people work there?
Are they lab monkies that failed out of university degrees or something?
>>
>>7805695
Unless you PhD you will work as a pippete monkey
>>
>>7803647
no

worst in extrovert in stem
>>
>>7805262
How do I do this?

I'm from colorado fyi
>>
>>7805617
Fuck dude...I feel for you so much.

My training is in synthetic organic and my snapchat is pyridinium. Get ahold of me.
>>
>>7805469
>selling out your dreams for the familial jew
you deserve whatever misery and regret you get, cuck
>>
File: statistical heaping.png (21KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
statistical heaping.png
21KB, 800x600px
>>7803647
What's wrong with liking football? It's one of the most intelligent and strategic sports if you approach it from a stats perspective, second only to baseball. I'm a non-normie math major, too.

Pic related, an example of statistical heaping in referee ball placement between plays.
>>
>>7805251

I don't know shit about football and I don't talk about it because I could not give less of a fuck about some idiots chasing a ball but I laugh at dumb shit that I and other people say to each other.

What does that make me?
>>
>>7805427
Depends on what you want, tech is probably the more secure. I don't know about doing uni part time because engineering is competative as fuck nowadays. Also never study on loans, it's pointless and will ruin your life.

>>7805469
That's not my point, my point is you could do it if you really want to, of course it's hard as fuck to study that material, but contrary to popular belief it's just as hard to study doing university full time because in engineering you usually have a shitton 40+ hours/week of projects, labs and tests etc, which is more draining that real work and then you also need to muster the energy to pick up a textbook.

As for getting older it depends, studies show if you keep up self-study after graduation and/or work in an intellectually stimulating environment your mind stays more malleable. Unless you're one of those fuckwits who traveled/partied for years after school you still have a shot at getting back into the game.

What you're saying really only applies to lazy people.
>>
>>7806131
You can't argue with these /r9k/ faggots. They honestly believe that not talking about sports makes them seem more intelligent.

The majority of /sci/ consists of what they refer to as "normies" ironically enough, I don't know why these faggot freshman keep posting here.
>>
>>7806222
A failed normie
>>
File: Rory-Gallagher.jpg (44KB, 620x388px) Image search: [Google]
Rory-Gallagher.jpg
44KB, 620x388px
Is anyone here doing any kind of lab tech work up in ON, Canada? Just got my bsc in chem and I would honestly be happy >>7805907. I'm also not quite sure how the medicinal weed business is but that may be an alright path as well.
>>
>>7804300
Yeah you are such a special little snowflake.
>>
File: 1409453687192.jpg (33KB, 432x330px) Image search: [Google]
1409453687192.jpg
33KB, 432x330px
The worst combination:

Ugly or introverted in anything.
>>
>>7804300
Most people grew out of their edgy phase manchild
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.