[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is there one field that covers all these areas?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Untitled.jpg (228KB, 1560x344px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
228KB, 1560x344px
is there one field that covers all these areas?
>>
>/sci/ help me change fields give me a reason to exist look at all these pdf's i'm hording that i have never opened
>>
I bet you haven't read even one of those pdf files faggot
>>
>>7802830
>>7802832
i have read some of them, but i will admit not all. i started on lattice gauge theories, solid state physics, NPDEs, large cardinals, and molecular electronics.
>>
Some stuff to the far left is too applied, but most of those topics could appear in some way shape or form in the various theories that resulted from the Ads/CFT.
>>
>>7802851
string theory? i'm more for expiremental physics though, like solid state and condensed matter. thing is, i think there's value in being an accredited engineer, and i like to develop algorithms/simulations for navier stokes equations and lattice gauge models of quark confinement.

what degree can i take that has the least amount of compromise between these three aspects? i like CS, i like Engineering, and I like physics/math. i just don't have a hierarchy for it.
>>
>>7802818
Device Fabrication or MEMS
>>
>>7803656
is engineering physics or Electronic Engineering a good pathway to this?
>>
chemical physics
>>
>>7803506
>i like CS, i like Engineering, and I like physics/math.
you could do analytical chemistry or materials science or something along those lines
>>
materials science and engineering
>>
>>7803506
The Ads/CFT is a result of string theory that allowed for the discovery of various relations between different physics subjects

Some Examples:

Ads/QCD - Duality between QCD and Gravity

Fluid/Gravity Correspondance

Gravity dual Thermodynamics

There are results of Holography in Gauge/Gravity duality that lead to interesting applications to strongly coupled condensed matter systems, high temperature superconductors, etc.

And of course it is ultimately String Theory so it involves pretty much every type of math those books cover in some way shape or form.
>>
>>7803712
>Over the decades, experimental condensed matter physicists have discovered a number of exotic states of matter, including superconductors and superfluids. These states are described using the formalism of quantum field theory, but some phenomena are difficult to explain using standard field theoretic techniques. Some condensed matter theorists including Subir Sachdev hope that the AdS/CFT correspondence will make it possible to describe these systems in the language of string theory and learn more about their behavior.[47]

So far some success has been achieved in using string theory methods to describe the transition of a superfluid to an insulator. A superfluid is a system of electrically neutral atoms that flows without any friction. Such systems are often produced in the laboratory using liquid helium, but recently experimentalists have developed new ways of producing artificial superfluids by pouring trillions of cold atoms into a lattice of criss-crossing lasers. These atoms initially behave as a superfluid, but as experimentalists increase the intensity of the lasers, they become less mobile and then suddenly transition to an insulating state. During the transition, the atoms behave in an unusual way. For example, the atoms slow to a halt at a rate that depends on the temperature and on Planck's constant, the fundamental parameter of quantum mechanics, which does not enter into the description of the other phases. This behavior has recently been understood by considering a dual description where properties of the fluid are described in terms of a higher dimensional black hole.

damn this is pretty cool.
>>
>>7803715
Lubos literally just posted something about an application of it.

http://motls.blogspot.com/2016/01/sachdev-on-adsgraphene-duality.html
>>
>>7803718
>lubos
stop.
>>
>>7803747
He physics posts are always good. It is his other stuff that is kinda /pol/ tier.
>>
>>7802818
Yes the field is called "use your freetime"
>>
>>7803688
EE here, one of the specialization branches you can pick in my uni is MEMS. Yes.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.