[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you remember the time when you weren't a PhD student?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: pepes.jpg (104KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pepes.jpg
104KB, 500x500px
Do you remember the time when you weren't a PhD student?
>lots of free time
>girls
>shitposting about barnett on /sci/
>>
As an undergrad I was a drug addict. Can't do that anymore. I still think about it every day.
>>
>>7802785
I thought drugs were only okay in grad school. A little bit of crystal meth but just don't bring it to class?
>>
i thought PhD students just wrote shit like once a week. what's the big deal?
>>
>implying i'm not still shitposting on /sci/ in grad school
>>
>>7802554
This week I logged an average of 3.2 hours of sleep per day.

It was sort of worth. I'm the type of person that puts my health above everything else, but I made tremendous progress. The rush of my code finally working properly also keeps me going. I'm really anxious to see results.
>>
>>7802554
>>lots of free time
I still have that.
>>girls
No, I don't remember that.
>>shitposting about barnett on /sci/
Those were the fun times.
>>
File: jacob_barnett.jpg (246KB, 1200x794px) Image search: [Google]
jacob_barnett.jpg
246KB, 1200x794px
So is this guy really a genius, /sci/?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXmss3exFsA
>>
>>7803012
Wouldn't surprise me. Many geniuses showed signs of autism, tho maybe not to this degree.
>>
>>7803012
Yes, definitely.
>>
>>7802785
what drugs m8
>>
>>7803070
oh you know, illegal ones
>>
>Be postdoc
>Same as PhD, but better paid and in a much better location
I think I even managed to climb up a few tiers going from my PhD advisor's lab to my current postdoc lab.
>>
I'm finishing my PhD and I've spend more time on private unrelated projects than my PhD work, I have more sex now than ever and I shitpost a great deal, although it's more the educational math kind of stuff
>>
>>7803012
Phew, thanks to this video, I'm satifisfied I don't have autism like 4channers always tell me I have :D
>>
>>7803012
The first part of this video says it all: he's just good at parroting the textbooks. That's it.
>>
>>7802554
phd students i know love to yap about how they dont have time for anything, yet they have time to shitpost on facebook or post comics about how phd students have no time
>>
File: 1350657329933.jpg (213KB, 717x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1350657329933.jpg
213KB, 717x1024px
>>7803076
>Be postdoc
>better paid

Haha nice meme, friend! ;^)

In the UK my postdoc paid less than my PhD after tax
>>
>>7804009
>My anecdote == universal

Post docs are paid more at non-meme schools and most universities in general.
>>
>>7802798
Don't be so harsh with the truth, you will scare them away
>>
>>7803076
>postdoc
>bringing anything but shame to your famiry
>>
>>7802554
>/sci/
>PhD student
>>
>>7804320
There are quite a lot of PhD's here boy. They are just outnumbered by shitposters or are shitposters themselves.
>>
>>7803012
>Hesitated between Physics and Mathematics
>Chose Physics over topology
He’s not autistic at all lmao.
>>
>>7804009
Keep in mind that there are postdoc positions in the US that pay over 80k. [I didn't get one of those (maybe in a year or two I will actually apply), but I still more than doubled by PhD funding].

>>7804266
How many people that recently received tenure track positions did not have a postdoc? The answer is a rather small number of people that won major awards for their PhD work (unless we include teaching colleges, but I didn't get a PhD to work at an adult day care facility).
>>
>>7803070
All of them but PCP.
>>
>>7802785
And here I thought I was the only fuck up. I am an undergrad CS student and I do crack cocaine every once in a while, but I am not addicted. If I thought I had a chance of being addicted to it, I would avoid it like the plague. It turns out that you can't just print infinite money with student loans so I am wondering what I'll do this semester since I've already blown 2k on drugs/sex with fellow druggies. My student loans will only be enough to pay off my credit cards. Shit sucks.

I was making 40 an hour as a software programmer so I don't mind wasting money by the way. I know that I can pay these student loans off with ease. No more dope for me this semester. ;_;
>>
>>7804656
As that poster, I was a cocaine and oxycontin addict for a semester. That was the only semester I got a B. (And by that point in my undergrad, I was taking only grad classes.)

Currently a doctoral student at a top-tier. But suffering. I'm pretty sure the drugs made me dumber. At the least, they impaired my memory.
>>
>>7804656
But it's funny. After doing just about every recreational drug and then some, you want to know what, in retrospect, my favorite drug is?

Freaking benadryl (diphenhydramine), which at high doses induces a hallucinatory delirium.
>>
>>7804678
>oxycontin

I don't know why people fuck with stuff like that. I personally never messed with anything that is both mentally and physically addictive. I'm not sure how you got addicted to cocaine. Powder cocaine and crack are two different experiences. In its powder form it only made me feel more awake and alert. It never gave me actual pleasure. In its rock form (i.e., crack) the second you hit it your brain is overloaded with pleasure. The only analogy I can use to explain it is this. It feels like you are having 10 miniature orgasms that last for like 30 seconds. I'm not sure where I am going with this.

How did you pay for you addiction? With student loans? Also, was sex involved during your addiction?
>>
>>7804691
I was friends with the dealer, who sold to me at bulk prices.

I almost always did drugs alone, per preference. Drugs involved sex when I did mdma, which was seldom due to neurotoxicity — for those times I would invite a math/cs grill friend/fuckbuddy over to partake with me (damn was I lucky).

After the semester with cocaine and oxy, I quit both — I couldn't handle them.

The previous semester, I had been a psychonaut who did mushrooms every weekend while taking three grad math classes, and the drug use kept me a week ahead in all of my classes because a psychedelic trip is fun only if one feels on top of one's life.
>>
>>7802554
well you're still here shit posting so I can only assume you're still not a real PHD student.
>>
>>7804855
>Bu-but educated people don't shitpost!

Lol, cry moar bitch.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.