[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>my phd supervisor is rarely in his office >replies to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

>my phd supervisor is rarely in his office
>replies to my emails like once every 2 months
>literally don't know what I am doing
>supposed to sink or swim
>sinking

what do /sci/

i like my research (something to do with "room-T superconductors") but I'm just not the normie type here to figure out the secrets of the universe by just partying on friday's and smoking weed
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-01-18 23.59.47.png (49KB, 118x158px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-01-18 23.59.47.png
49KB, 118x158px
read some self help books and convert to psychology
>>
>>7801835
>working for hands-off guy and lost
You need to find post-docs and 'senior' grad students in the group and talk to them.

Find someone who knows more than you do and who is willing to talk to you about the most recent literature on a daily basis.

Find someone who has published with your boss and ask them how they brought the project to completion.
>>
>>7801835
>what do /sci/
Stop being weak. Swim, you goddamned faggot.
>>
>>7801844

Everyone who I asked for help/helped me last year has graduated or left. I'm completely alone this year
>>
You are meant to be a genius, right?

Somehow you manged to get the stellar grades that got you into that PhD program.

Figure it out yourself.
>>
>>7801854
small/newish group?
Two options: impose on the boss, insist he give the guidance you seek, or GTFO.

If you can't do the former... then you joined the 'wrong' group for you. Find another PI, shit happens.
>>
>>7801862
>Two options: impose on the boss, insist he give the guidance you seek, or GTFO.
What the fuck no.

OP don't listen to this guy he's an American exam babby.

You're a grad-student not a fucking child, you're supposed to do most of it yourself.

To get your project on track think of one think and one only. What work do you need to do to get PUBLISHED. It's not uncommon for PhD projects to completely change direction from their original proposal. That's research and it's to be expected.

Don't to your 'viser that he isn't holding your hand enough, that's a career killer.
>>
>>7801871
Examining the thread as a whole, I no longer take you seriously.

You present yourself as at least a 2nd year grad student with some knowledge of the origin of your own funding. Yet you claim ignorance of whether that already granted funding is attached to you as a student or your advisor as a PI.

If you are not a troll: seek advice from departmental staff and graduate college ombudsman.

Else, fuck off.
>>
>>7801881
>Else, fuck off.

where do i fuck off to. appreciate your advice
>>
>>7801885
>>>/r9k/
>>
This thread was moved to >>>/adv/16716109
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.