[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why Science?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: RPF.jpg (123KB, 1037x765px) Image search: [Google]
RPF.jpg
123KB, 1037x765px
1) What got you into science?

2) What keeps you going?

3) Why not something else?
>>
>>7801783
Was unpopular so I just picked up it at school

I want to prove to everyone I'm smart

No one is smarter than the physicist
>>
1. I dunno, I think I had it from early childhood, you know being curious about shit around me
2. It pays off more than anything else, somehow
3. I'm pretty fucking old to start something else, but at this point I do sciencey schtuff almost intuitively, so I even have enough free time to get bored
>>
>>7801788
how old are you?
>>
>1) What got you into science?
Always enjoyed when findings were actually practical in real life, which I believe makes my life easier than people who don't know all these odd science facts. Hence why I took chemistry, I think it covers most of those real life applications.

>2) What keeps you going?
Besides always being passionate about it, I think also my partner being an EE keeps me going. I like to imagine we could cross our specialties and make some cool things :D Once I graduate and get deeper into my own field of course.

>3) Why not something else?
Science is one of those things you never stop learning new things from. Life would get sad if you learnt everything you could from it.
>>
>>7801783
Money and I'm good at it
Also it's pretty cool sometimes
Getting more money
Best money/difficulty ratio for me at least
>>
>>7801790
lol, I'm 18

srsly though, it's pretty late for me to start anything else - I started the CG in 3ds max, but it's not going well. I really do lack some basic things apparently after years of neglecting art in any forms, and I don't really have SO MUCH free time for CG
>>
>>7801799
This is bait
>>
>>7801801
what?
>>
>>7801804
>18
>too late to do anything else
>>
>>7801806
busy boy
busy lyf
(not enough motivation, desu)
>>
File: 1448584110685.jpg (53KB, 792x612px) Image search: [Google]
1448584110685.jpg
53KB, 792x612px
>>7801783
because I fell for the meme ''math and physics describe the reality, DUDE black holes LMAO, DUDE science gives people computers LMAO'' when they do not.

so now, I just do math.
>>
>>7801817
Why math, though?
>>
Quantum mechanics exposing me to the uncertainty principle and wave particle duality. I couldnt accept it so i studied it to try and disprove it but now i feel like i understand the balance in not being just one or the other.
>>
>>7801817
How is that a meme you dip
>>
>>7801798
Which field ?
>>
1 - The desire to know why everything happens; I believe that everything happens for a reason.
2 - The more you get into science, the more complicated the problem will get, and the more you will get to use your brain, at something you feel is actually relevant.
3 - In the end science is the only thing that matters, we might know everything about everyone on earth, but if we do not know how we came to be in the first place; or how we will end, what is it all worth?
>>
I have always been fascinated by everything. I love to figure stuff out on my own and I think that that is what keeps me going. Sometime a few years ago it clicked for me that methematics is literally the greatest thing that humans have ever made, and since then I have become INTERESTED in calc. Also a burning passion for spacecraft and and airplanes is what made me want an aerospace engineer.
>>
>>7801852
so you want to know why things are or you want to know how they are? one is science the other is philosophy
>>
>>7801798
This
>>
>>7801879
How?
>>
>>7801783

1. I really enjoyed math when I was younger. Had a few fantastic math teachers, and one fantastic chemistry teacher.

2. Before, it was the fact that my research was really cool. Now, I just want to finish my degree.

3. I'm likely going into something else immediately following graduation. I took a practice LSAT and got ~163. So, I think with some practice I can break into 170, and go to a good law school. Plus, my dad's a big-time lawyer, and has some hook-ups basically everywhere. He's going to let me take a gap year as a paralegal at the law firm he owns to see if law is for me.
>>
>>7802009
What is your major?
>>
>>7802012

Mathematics on the Applied Chemistry track.
>>
>>7801783
Being an autist myself I had no choice but to go into pure math. In sure you guys understand
>>
>>7801867
I want to know how rain is made, I want to know why black holes are formed, I want to know why time is relative, that sort of thing.
>>
>>7801783
1. A desire to know why everything.
2. Not knowing everything yet.
3. Everything else feels shallow and unsatisfying after science.
>>
1. My own curiosity, as memetastic as it sounds that is really it

2. The fact that after much exhaustive thinking, nothing else really gives me that deep sense of fulfillment like studying does

3. I have lots of hobbies aside from my studies, I'm studying engineering and from an ethical standpoint I can appreciate the work as being beneficial to the greater good of society while at the same time it is involved in problem solving and requires me to know a lot about things that generally interest me. I wouldn't enjoy being a physicist only to come out as a banker.
>>
>>7801783
Drugs; more drugs, drugs.
>>
>>7801783
why the fuck would i waste my time doing anything else?
see: 1)
see: 1)
>>
>>7803300

Don't cut yourself on that edge
>>
>>7803296
Some are good, some are bad
>>
>>7803306
but seriously, what else is as important to society, pay as well, and satisfy my egotistical need to appear superior to everyone else in the room?
>>
>>7803309

>important to society

admirable

>pay as well

understandable

>egotistical need to appear superior to everyone else in the room

short-sighted, there has existed a human being who has surpassed you or done more than you in virtually every endeavour, the only thing you are the best at is being yourself.
>>
>>7803315
>there has existed a human being who has surpassed you or done more than you in virtually every endeavour
in the room
it's easy to win arguments when people accept you're more intelligent than them. i'm not saying that studying STEM makes me more intelligent, rather than it makes me appear more intelligent
>>
1. Ironically religion did. I was brought up in a southern baptist home and always felt as if people turn to a religious or spiritual reason to the fundamental questions of life, just because we don't understand it yet.
2. I feel as if I'm not living up to my potential if I'm not constantly challenging myself.
3. Anything else I just couldn't picture myself doing for the rest of my life
>>
>>7801783
1) What got you into science?
When I was 5 I got a huge rock collection, came with cards about minerals, ores, crystals, fossils, etc. That hooked my interested throughout elementary, middle, and high school.

2) What keeps you going?
>Curiosity and it has been fun

3) Why not something else?
Nothing else is stimulating
>>
File: 6ZyHUag.jpg (74KB, 236x347px) Image search: [Google]
6ZyHUag.jpg
74KB, 236x347px
>>7801783
1. Feynman
2. Feynman
3. Feynman
>>
File: seed_066.gif (2MB, 900x725px) Image search: [Google]
seed_066.gif
2MB, 900x725px
>>
>>7804373
'nuff said
>>
1) picked it as an option in high school out of curiosity and carl sagan's tv show
2) the interest mostly and it's fucking cool
3) anything else doesn't seem as rewarding as science does
>>
>>7801783
1) It gets results while philosophy doesn't

2) Not much really, temporarily storing knowledge in my brain while I'm alive doesn't really matter but it's more fun than bullshit like politics or movies.

3) See 2.
>>
>>7801783
1.) Probably my dad overall. He's a practicing MD now but he did a lot of neuroscience research and I always loved him teaching me stuff and doing experiments with me at home.

2.) It's interesting, mainly. I'm a third year undergad now. I like the difficulty too, and the job availability is a bonus.

3.) Other areas are cool but I slack if I'm not being pushed very hard. Maths and science have always been challenging enough to me that I love studying the concepts and trying to understand material. Other subject areas, I just slack and procrastinate and act like a retard because it seems more trivial (even though it's not).
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.