[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>getting in computer science major >calculusishard.png

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1435452614801.jpg (136KB, 800x899px) Image search: [Google]
1435452614801.jpg
136KB, 800x899px
>getting in computer science major
>calculusishard.png
>first semester passed full of luck with a quiet satifying GPA

is it worth it? can i become rich after graduating?
>>
>>7801581
No, stop clogging up my majo- I mean, No. It's a meme field with no money in it whatsoever. Change your major to business, there's shitloads of money there.
>>
If you have a good enough idea or are extremely talented and hard working you can become rich. Otherwise at best you'll be upper middle class, which is still better than a large majority of the country if you're a burger.
>>calculusishard.png
As a math major comments like this trigger me. Honestly I'm convinced that anyone who can think and follow an argument should at least be able to become good at math, it's just that most people aren't interested enough in it to devote the time required to learn the terminology, notation, syntax, etc. Sort of the same reason most people don't really learn to read a foreign language.
>>
>>7801591
The upper middle class you talk about is what rich is to OP.
>>7801581
So yes, you can
>>
>>7801581
You don't have to even graduate to get rich. Just learn Java, slap together another dating app, and bam, money
>>
>>7801581

>can i become rich after graduating?

First of all, if you're so empty as to choose a major for money, you're making a mistake. You will be miserable. Money does not buy happiness and you will not feel fulfilled if you're doing this for the money.

If you actually enjoy CS, and you're just curious what your salary and job prospects will be when you graduate I'll give you as best of an answer as I can.

To start, it really depends what your idea of "rich" is. Some people think making 60k/year makes them rich. Other think that making minimal 6 figures ($100,000 or somewhere close to that) makes them rich. To be considered a "1%er" last I heard you need to make about 300k. But this is the truth. For the average person, no 4 year BSc/BA will enable you to get a starting salary that will make you rich right away. If you're extremely lucky, talented as well as personable, some companies might offer you 100k or a little more starting. But generally people with CS degrees, even engineering degrees get jobs making anywhere from 50k-80k starting. Now that, as a single male I am presuming, can give you a very comfortable lifestyle. But if your idea of rich is millions of dollars, there isn't a degree that will get you that. You need to be innovative, smart, and the only way you can do that legally as an average person is by coming up with a good idea and turning your company into the next Microsoft. I don't even know if half of what I said makes any sense as I am quite hammered but I swear to you anon. Don't ever major in something for the money, and don't expect a red carpet of life, rolled out for you after you graduate. There are many, many people with degrees in various fields of engineering, computer science, and other STEM fields, that are unemployed and even resort to tutoring people via craigslist for income.
>>
>>7801581
>is it worth it for the money?
Sure, if you don't mind a midlife crisis when you realize you hate your job
>>
whatcha advice to MSc CS working as a developer, who aims to get promoted? (and possibly no to spend 8h coding daily)

Let's say, I'm an average programmer (how the fuck can I even compete with nerds spending more than half of their lives in front of computer since early ripening), but got hella better interpersonal skills and more devloped "economic-level" thinking.
>>
>>7802064
}

youre already a nerd just a shitty nerd
>>
>>7801612
>Money does not buy happiness and you will not feel fulfilled if you're doing this for the money.

I hate this fucking meme. A meme older than dirt that still gets regurgitated cause it's been baked into peoples brains.
Money may not buy happiness, but being poor doesn't make you happy either. If you have to choose between being miserable and poor, or miserable and wealthy, which would it be?
>>
>>7802091
>Being this retarded

He is not saying that you should forget about money. He is saying that you should make money doing something you like.

If he is in CS only for the money he should go find something. There are so many other fields that make money and certainly, CS does not make you a millionaire. Being a businessman makes you a millionaire.

Study something you enjoy and then found a company that does work in that area, so that you can enjoy your job as well as make money.

And if you only care about money then just study actuarial mathematics or petroleum engineering. Starting salary there is double the starting salary in CS.
>>
>>7802091
The fact that you consider it possible to be "miserable and wealthy" kind of proves his point that money doesn't buy happiness, doesn't it?

It's a meme for a reason. You spend 1/3 your life working -- you really want to piss all that time away on something you hate?
>>
Below 3.0 is not satisfying.
>>
>>7801581

Degrees don't make you rich. Doing something that people want to give you money for makes you rich.

Protip: you will never get rich by being hired, you have to work for yourself.
>>
>>7801581
Who is this semen demon?
>>
File: MARIO LAUGHS AT YOU.webm (273KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
MARIO LAUGHS AT YOU.webm
273KB, 320x240px
>>7801590
>He thinks people insult CS to scare other people away
>>
>>7803533
t. CS Major
>>
>>7802091

It is true though. I went to law school after getting my undergrad in physics thinking I would do patent litigation. Got a job my last semester of undergrad at a law firm, started law school, wanted to kill myself every day. The work was easy, but it was soul-crushing nothingness day in and out. Every evening I got home and wanted to blow my brains out because I hated what I did all day so much. So I quit and bought a pick and place machine, started a business, and couldn't be happier.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.