[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /sci/ I'm doing work for my organic chem 2 class and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: problem1.png (13KB, 375x257px) Image search: [Google]
problem1.png
13KB, 375x257px
Hi /sci/

I'm doing work for my organic chem 2 class and it's been about three years since I did the first class in the series. I think I'm understanding the current material being presented but there are a couple of blanks in the middle that I think I'm missing out because lack of background knowledge.

This question is based on carbene addition to alkenes.

Two points I'd appreciate being clarified:

1. In (c), through what mechanism is there a carbene being formed to be able to attack the double bond on the cyclohexene? I'm assuming the third molecule in the equation reacts with tribromomethane to remove an H.

2. In general, the carbene attacks the double bond on the alkene to form a cyclic formation (epoxide?). When I was comparing my answers on chegg, I noticed that in (b) and (e), the carbene's carbon in the product is no longer bonded with I, while in (c), the carbene's carbon in the product *is* still bonded with the original two Br. Why is this?
>>
Okay, I just figured out the reasoning for question 1. I'd still appreciate input on 2 though.
>>
>>7801361
>In (c), through what mechanism is there a carbene being formed to be able to attack the double bond on the cyclohexene?
That's the Simmons-Smith reaction, and the mechanism generally gets ignored in undergrad organic classes b/c no one gives a fuck.

>2. In general, the carbene attacks the double bond on the alkene to form a cyclic formation (epoxide?).
Not an epoxide, but a cyclopropane.
In c) the carbene is dibromocarbene (deprotonation of bromoform followed by alpha-elimination of bromide from the anion).

In b,d,e it's a zinc carbenoid. (CH2 bound to Zn)
>>
>>7801372
argh I fucked up the lettering at the beginning of my reply b,d,e are all simmons smith, c is not
>>
>>7801372
Ah, sorry, that's right, epoxides are triangular structures with an O.

So what happens to iodine in b, d, and e?
>>
>>7801387

Nevermind, looked up the Simmons-Smith reaction and apparently the Zinc grabs the 2 I's.

>>7801372
Thank you for the help!
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.