[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Potassium Dichromate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: KCrO.jpg (425KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
KCrO.jpg
425KB, 800x600px
Alright /sci/ Chemist needing some help here, trying to make up some crystals due to the cool orange look. Something has gone wrong obviously, I think I know what it is but if anyone has any other ideas they would be appreciated.

I melted a Stainless Steel spoon in 1 mol/liter HCl. This produced a mixture of FeOH, CrOH and NiOH, evidenced by a green colour of the Cr3+ ions. After this I added Sodium Carbonate to precipitate the Chromium Hydroxide then filtered, the dried slurry was then but in a container and I added concentrated H2O2 and then filtered again producing a yellow solution, this, I believed, was Chromate in solution. As I believed that the Iron would be left behind and the chromate would filter through into the flask. however on acidifying no orange colour was observed. I now believe I may have made FeCl3 aswell as Chromate but I cannot be sure. It would make sense as the Iron Chloride would over power the colour change of Chromate regardless of pH due to higher concentration. Any thoughts ? If this is not the case, what have i made? Also is there anyway to remove the FeCl3 or should i restart the process instead using Sulfuric Acid?
>>
>>7800704
trichloro chromium III is supposedly green as a hydrate too, and certainly water stable. How does the carbonate work?
>>
>>7800704
Couldn't you try adding some silver nitrate to a sample portion see if any silver chromate falls out of solution?
>>
I believe upon the addition of sodium carbonate you also precipitated out Iron(II) carbonate,making with the other salts.
>>
Evaporate a portion of the solution off, and note the colour of the crystals. Mix them in with magnesium powder and heat them up with a blowtorch in a spoon. When the salt melts, if you are still alive then it's probably not dichromate.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.