[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the general consensus about this here? Pardon me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Math_monk.png (49KB, 992x389px) Image search: [Google]
Math_monk.png
49KB, 992x389px
What's the general consensus about this here?
Pardon me if it has been asked before.
I'm in high school and want to excel in mathematics. Wanted to know the opinion of all you /sci/entists.
Thanks.
>>
>>7800502
That picture is retarded as fuck. First of all it won't make you a "math monk" but only puts you on the level of a first semester undergrad. Secondly it is impossible to study PDE before analysis.
>>
>>7800516

>first semester undergrad has learned all of calc, linear algebra, set theory, mathematical logic, combinatorics, graph theory, number theory, numerical analysis, differential geometry, probability, PDEs, abstract algebra, topology, and analysis

am i retarded? is this normal somewhere? are there high schools teaching PDEs, abstract algebra, analysis, and topology? are there high schools teaching math quickly and efficiently enough that you could learn all this going into you first semester as an undergrad ? what are you learning in undergrad if not this stuff?
>>
>>7800984

Short answer: no, no high school teaches these things

However I did take most of those classes in high school, but that was at a local college, and was highly unusual.

The pic in OP outlines what an undergrad should know upon graduation, more or less
>>
>>7800984
Thomas Jefferson High School. It's not normal, know a guy getting his PHD at Stanford that attended. When I found out what he was doing in high school, made me jealous and feel like a retard.
>>
>>7801043
https://www.tjhsst.edu/research-academics/math-cs/math/index.html
bloody hell
>>
>>7800984
No, it is not necessary. Even the math geniuses need to suffer through their requirement classes.
>>
>>7800516
>Secondly it is impossible to study PDE before analysis

Tell that to the engineers and physicists.

>but only puts you on the level of a first semester undergrad

Only at Princeton.

>First of all it won't make you a "math monk"

The context was someone wanted to self study math up to the undergrad level.
>>
This is better and more in-depth: http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics
>>
File: Fixed education.png (119KB, 1216x970px) Image search: [Google]
Fixed education.png
119KB, 1216x970px
>>7800984
>is this normal somewhere

It's /sci/'s dream curriculum
>>
Thanks for all your input guys.
But I wanted to know where to begin to get at Math?
Can I trust the /sci/ wiki recommendations?
>>
>>7801710
>Can I trust the /sci/ wiki recommendations?
It's not a bad place, but the wiki section on math is heavily aimed at studying math autistically rigurously.

If you just want to get started, Paul's Online notes and Schaums Outlines are more than good enough.
>>
>>7800984
It's a sci meme... like $300k starting salary. "Differential Geometry should be taught to 12 year olds" blah blah blah.
>>
>>7802005
>not learning different geometry at 8
>pleb
Usually it's is not necessary but if you want to prepare for your PhD in triple integrals every little helps
>>
>meanwhile in Korea 5th graders learning Calculus
meme more, white men.
>>
>>7801943
>the wiki section on math is heavily aimed at studying math autistically rigurously.
It's aimed at those whose chosen field is math, and this is what mathematicians do.
>>
>>7801943
>the wiki section on math is heavily aimed at studying math

No shit nigger. The chem section is heavily aimed at studying chemistry without theoretical physics.
>>
>>7801092
Jesus that faculty is ugly
>>
>>7802005
>not studying the Jacob Bennet formula everyday
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.