[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it scientifically possible to measure the intensity of pain?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1436208031604.jpg (378KB, 1200x1383px) Image search: [Google]
1436208031604.jpg
378KB, 1200x1383px
Is it scientifically possible to measure the intensity of pain?

If it is, then what is the objectively most painful form of torture?
>>
>>7800409
>what is the objectively most painful form of torture?
Browsing /sci/
>>
>>7800409
It's possible with psychophysical methods, but good luck getting IRB to approve the study.
>>
File: Pain_Scale__Arvin61r58.png (186KB, 2400x1252px) Image search: [Google]
Pain_Scale__Arvin61r58.png
186KB, 2400x1252px
>>7800409
>Is it scientifically possible to measure the intensity of pain?

Yes: here you go, no brain scanners or other plecebo bullshit that impresses plebs required.
>>
>>7800788
this is handed out to patients who experience pain to assess it. No ethical quandries or research grants required. The most painful conditions should be already published comprehensively all the way from 1955
>>
>>7800788
LOL if you have ever worked in a hospital you will know that everyone's pain is a "10".
>>
>>7800409
Sort of. We know electrical shocks have a perceived intensity of around 3.5 times actual intensity. We also know that neurons can only fire around ~500-800 times a minute, usually closer to 500. So if you could devise a test where participants rate their pain as you increase voltage, you'd would eventually find the point where a person's perceived pain tops out

As a stimulus increases in intensity eventually it becomes harder to distinguish increases, pain is probably no different. So if you shocked someone until they topped out/died and then used that same voltage to stimulate the neurons of your deceased participant you'd find the max neuronal firing a person can differentiate from anything lower
>>
>>7800409
Not right now. However torture is not really about pain, it is about suffering. The worst torture is just what is the most unbearable thing.
That might be being skinned for one person, or watching their children killed for another.
In terms of the worst pain someone can experience in a short time I know the answer but can't give it to you because the world should not have that knowledge.
>>
another measure of pain, usually seen in torture victims is that at some point blood vessels in the brain just burst from the high blood pressure strain. Similarly, others will have heart attacks from the agony they're in.
>>
>>7800827
10 means "3, but I want opiates".
9 means "3, and I'm a recovering alcoholic"
>>
>>7801704
>someone is in a lot of pain
>let me ask them how bad the pain is
>be surprised that patients that are in pain are in pain
>patients are lying sheep
>>
>>7801704
kek anon was playing this game with the nurses.
Anon decided 4 was acceptable pain and that anon's pain would periodically return to a 5 or 6.
>>
>>7801296
Of course you should tell us. You can't just say you know the answer and not say it.
>>
>>7802998
It's too horrible, I wouldn't use it on a person who had killed my entire family before me and spread lies about me throughout the world.
All I will say is you have less than an hour before the person dies unless they die of a heart attack or stroke from the pain, which is highly likely.
>>
AIUI, the soles of the feet are a uniquely painful torture method. Caning the soles produces an escalating pain response which quickly becomes unbearable. The nature of the application means that the subject is relatively unharmed and application can continue for extended periods. producing incredible pain.
>>
>>7803185
Then how did you learn about it?

Also, I would think any amount of pain that induces fainting be equally painful, as that's kind of an objective threshold.
>>
>>7800827
Not true

my dad broke.my nose when i was 15

Told the doc he pain was a 3
>>
>>7803869
why'd he break your nose? were you shitposting loudly?
>>
>>7800409
“The human body can withstand up to 45 (units) of the pain, but pain in childbirth is as high as 57 (units),”
That's pretty amazing desu
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.