[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did you force your self to learn math /sci/? The concepts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: 1365884267163.png (33KB, 800x566px) Image search: [Google]
1365884267163.png
33KB, 800x566px
How did you force your self to learn math /sci/?
The concepts seem very simple but I can't make my self remember any of it knowing that it's probably the most useless information I can put into my brain.
Remembering some stupid fact about some random celebrity can still be used in normal conversations later on.
Remembering how to work with polynomial equation will never have any application after I finish the class.
How did you trick yourself into remembering this stuff?
>>
nice b8 m8
>>
Eat some glycine. Shit's good for memotizing(might be a placebo effect, though it works to me)
I'm not into math myself, it's just a trick for your memory.
P.S glycine is not dangerous at all, any dose will do.
>>
>>7799970
I'm being serious.

When was the last time you went to the store and needed to multiplying radicals or simplify a polynomial equation?
>>
File: 1379234167719.gif (89KB, 179x203px) Image search: [Google]
1379234167719.gif
89KB, 179x203px
>>7799977
That's interesting. My problem is more that I can't convince myself that it's worth memorizing but il keep that in mind if I ever have trouble with memorizing stuff I want to memorize.
>>
>>7799978
The last time I had to use math was the last time I was in my job. Which is right now, from where I am posting it. A job which, by the way, pays me 85k a year.

That is when I use my math.

Have fun in poverty, faggot.
>>
>>7799978
But this is core stuff. I don't memorize it because I'm used to it. In the same way that I don't need to memorize how to walk or talk.
>>
>>7799960
>How did you force your self to learn math /sci/?
I went to class and did assignments. It's a time-tested method for learning.
>Remembering some stupid fact about some random celebrity can still be used in normal conversations later on.
>Remembering how to work with polynomial equation will never have any application after I finish the class.
You remember facts about celebrities so you can talk to normies. Intelligent humans (and there are plenty) want to talk about ideas, and would hate you for bringing up the kardashians in conversation.
Polynomials are interesting. You don't have to talk about them with people though.
>How did you trick yourself into remembering this stuff?
It's not a trick if you understand their importance to your development as a person.
>>
>>7799998
Are you seriously incapable of comprehending that not everyone is ether a mathematician or a burger flipper?

Or this is just bait, good job you epic rused me. Clap clap.
>>
>>7800020
I'm not a mathematician even though I did study mathematics.

In average, STEM jobs pay overwhelmingly higher than any other jobs. And because math jobs include finance, which includes shit like wallstreet, I'd say that in general, STEM is the path for becoming rich and succesful.

Or you could be a lucky businessman. But then you are not part of anything. You just put money into things and see them from a point of view so far removed that you don't even understand your own domains. While working in STEM you will get 6 figures and work in something and that something may be big and may be the pride that you take home with yourself.

In other words, STEM is the sure way to happiness.

Now out you sperg. Go collect your food stamps.
>>
>>7800020
Yeah, there's also medicine and law, but those are shittier intellectual labour jobs.

Everything is quite literally either service jobs ala burger flipper or support jobs like secretary, accountant, nursing and other low paying plebshit.
>>
>>7800030
>Medicine

8 years of bullshit for decreasing salaries, when you could easily get 6 figures with a 4 year degree in shit like Petroleum Engineering.

>law
This is not even a job. Memorize paragraphs of shit and then talk a lot. Makes money but then I would say it brings the same problem of being strictly a businessman.

STEM #1
>>
So basically, work in a field that heavily requires mathematics so it's actually important to you or just buckle down and force yourself to remember it.

Alright thanks anons.
Also >>7800027
Yea, so what your saying is you are incapable of comprehending that not everyone is ether in a math field or a burger flipper.
Thanks though anon, this post made me feel better.
>>
>>7800049
>and force yourself to remember it.
No, you just actually learn it to the point that it is intuitive.
>>
>>7800049
Say what you want.

There is a heavy, heavy correlation between high salary and the math requirements to excert the profession.

First, liberal arts majors who do no math, starve to death and/or get shitty jobs which will never pay them beyond 40k - 50k

The same goes for business in general because the most jobs they get are as simple managers and that is in the range of 50k and 60k. Of course, business people need some math.

Then we get into STEM. The least math requiring STEM degree is biology. And as such, biology is literally the lower bound for STEM salaries, being 40k.

Now the upper bound of STEM which is actually actuarial mathematics. Where starting salaries are between 80k and 100k.

And 100k is actually the absolute upper bound for starting salaries.

So, again, say what you want. If you learn your math, you will set yourself up for big money. Be a retarded faggot and set yourself up for minimum wage.
>>
>>7800073
>Be a retarded faggot and set yourself up for minimum wage.
Thanks anon, have fun with your incredible wealth of 80k a year once you finish with whatever program you are in.
>>
>>7800085
>Thinks I'm still in school
>Doesn't realize that I am actually giving him the most informed and correct opinion in this regard. Taking not only objective data (see payscale to confirm my numbers) but also what I have observed in half a decade of working and talking to my non-stem friends about their own work and salaries.

You know, OP. I know that you can't pull yourself up to make an informed, point by point, refutal of my argument. First because you know I am right and second because you are afraid that your own laziness will bring you an inferior lifestyle.

You know how you fix all of this? Drop the bullshit facade and start hitting the books. Need recommendations? They are in the wiki. Need more? Khan Academy.
>>
>>7800099
This has been an incredibly insightful conversation, thanks anon. :)
>>
>>7799960
>>7799978
>>7800020
>>7800049
>>7800085
>>7800106
>I'm a passive-aggressive child who goes on the 4chan STEM board, indirectly shits on math, and then gets upset when shown that most lucrative careers require a lot of mathematics, some of those fields requiring non-trivial (post-calculus) math

Kill yourself. Please.
>>
File: 1451518580445.jpg (457KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
1451518580445.jpg
457KB, 1000x667px
>>7799960
Insane amounts of bait
>>
File: 1365161564321.jpg (128KB, 421x323px) Image search: [Google]
1365161564321.jpg
128KB, 421x323px
>>7800160
>saying calculus is not useful in day to day life = indirectly shiting on math

>gets upset when shown that most lucrative careers require a lot of mathematics

This post proves you are the only one upset anon.
You can stop posting any time. I already had my question answered.

If a mod could delete this thread that would be great since only shitposting like this is going on now.
>>
>>7799960
Is pic related to Amsterdam
>buy fair bro
>yolo
>>
>>7800180
Yea the tulip crash. Shocked anyone on /sci/ would know about that.
>>
>>7800173
>People who don't use math beyond the rational numbers for day to day life don't see the value of calculus and beyond

Hard to believe am I right?
>>
>>7800197
>Be me
>At the grocery store
>Buying some candy
>It amounts up to exactly pi dollars
>Fortunately, I know how to construct irrational numbers, as I studied analysis. Otherwise I would be facing a demand from the store because I would not be able to pay and therefore would be stealing
>Leave the candy
>Go to the bank
>Ask to get access to their core systems. They allow me after showing them my pure mathematics license, like that one time I needed acess to the FBI's database.
>I program a script that will, for an infinite amount of time, perform a transaction every second with the store, giving it the next decimal part of my payment that will be calculated by an algorithm that calculates pi to as many digits as I desire, forever. Start with 3 dollars, then 10 cents then 4 cents, and so on.
>Get receipt of the transactions going on
>Go back to store
>Show receipt and get my candy
>As I leave I see a faggot liberal arts major getting arrested. He was buying the same I was but he only paid 3.14 dollars, obviously missing the rest of the payment.
>He deserves it.
>>
File: LIfq5NV[1].png_fb.jpg (48KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
LIfq5NV[1].png_fb.jpg
48KB, 480x270px
>>7800217
>>
File: a2z2W6k4.jpg (42KB, 610x610px) Image search: [Google]
a2z2W6k4.jpg
42KB, 610x610px
>>7800217
fucking screened
is this pasta?
>>
>>7800073
>>7800099

This guy is correct on his facts, just saying.

There's also a big correlation between CEOs of the richest companies and the amount of math background in their education.
>>
>>7800235
His constant use of "retarded faggot", insistence that 85k a year is a good salary for an 8 year degree and constant boasts that he makes more money then me just hit my funny bone in a rare way.

His facts are correct but he never actually answered the question and just offered a bunch of unrelated statistics and insults. It's something I would expect on /pol/.
>>
>>7800255
>8 year degree

Where is that said? Now you are just lying out of your ass.
>>
File: 1379228072063.jpg (49KB, 680x511px) Image search: [Google]
1379228072063.jpg
49KB, 680x511px
>>7800257
Im sorry I assumed you had more then a bachelors degree.
>>
>>7799960
I don't remember it, I understand it.
Math rules are clear and well defined.
I think about it a lot and play with the concepts until I have the intuition required to solve the problems easily.
I find the best way of doing that is coming up with your own proofs for the theorems you must learn. You can do it your own way and as long as it is logical, it will be correct.

To me, people are much more harder to understand than math. They are usually unpredictable and unreliable, they make me uncomfortable ...
>>
>>7800017
>Intelligent humans (and there are plenty) want to talk about ideas, and would hate you for bringing up the kardashians in conversation.
Polynomials are interesting. You don't have to talk about them with people though.
You would think so.
>history major friends talk about history
>everyone listens and is impressed
>english major friends talk about literature
>econ major friends talk about economic systems
>engineering and cs major friends talk about projects they're working on or their jobs
>everyone listens and is really impressed
>physics major friends talk about physics
>engineering majors think they know enough of it anyway so they tune out, everyone else is impressed the physics major can talk about meme shit like quantum physics but get mad when the physics majors don't want to just talk about outer space for hours
>i try to talk about math and what i'm studying
>engineering and cs major friends start covering their ears because it hurts their brains, physics major friends passively pay attention because they can at least appreciate it, everyone else just groans and gives a "that's cool anon"
Most of these people aren't dumb at all, they just don't give a shit about math at all since they haven't learned to read it and can't visualize it.
>>
>>7801608
maybe they just aren't mentally defective and don't find numbers beautiful or sexy or whatever
>>
>>7800040
>Memorize paragraphs of shit and then talk a lot

dumbass shit like This is why /lit/ hates this board
>>
>>7799960
A lot of things can be modeled by approximating polynomials and polynomials are nice to work with. If you want real world applications of mathematics, look into statistics, physics and engineering. Applications are not that hard to find. You really are poorly informed if you think polynomial manipulation is useless after class. Being serious though, you, with your disposition, will probably never use them after class; go ahead and forget and feel good.
>>
>>7799960
it's very rewarding. if you're not learning polynomials at 25,, that is. at 10 it's socially rewarding to be good at this stuff.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.