[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Radioactivity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: radioactive.png (23KB, 600x525px) Image search: [Google]
radioactive.png
23KB, 600x525px
Hey do you guys know what the best radioactive material is to keep you warm while being as safe as possible?
Preferably from like 0 to 5 meters distance from the source of the heat decay. I'm in my 2nd year of applied physics at Uni and may get some access to certain useful elements
>>
This is because I'm going camping in some shitcold country soon and I was just curious what could keep me warm in my tent
>>
>>7799742
>what could keep me warm in my tent
Charcoal fire.

> I'm going camping in some shitcold country
And you expect to fly there with twenty pounds of refined uranium in carry on luggage?
>>
I was just curious if any such radioactive isotope exists and could safely warm me
>>
>>7799756
Yes but it would be heavy and you won't have access to it.
>>
>>7799758
what's the element/isotope called?
>>
>>7799738
>I'm in my 2nd year of applied physics at Uni

I'm worried that this might be true and you're asking this question.
>>
>>7799764
pick any of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator#Fuels

Encase it in a metal capsule to cut the gamma to acceptable level
>>
>>7799769
I am, just had stat phys, numerical programming and waves and optics and next period we're gonna get structure of matterI&II and zeeman effect lab which deals with this stuff I haven't learned properly about

>>7799772
thanks!
>>
Anything emitting enough radiationto keep you warm is 1) also emitting enough to kill you very quickly and 2) OBVIOUSLY not going to be something you will be allowed to just walk off with.
>>
>>7799738
Lay off the weed.
You are not going to have access to radioactive material.
>>
>>7799878
You would be surprised (and scared) if you knew what you will find in a normal university. A small inspection where I studied found enough neurotoxins to kill the entire city.

As for radioisotopes you can get hold of it ... in small quantities but not enough to keep you warm.

What you want is an alpha emitter having a shortish half life and where the daughter products do not emit dangerous levels of beta, gamma and neutron radiation.

Oh and just for fun: buy potassium based salt ersatz (KCl) and wave your Geiger counter around ... and hear it scream. This stuff is quite radioactive yet you buy it off the shelf and even worse: you are meant to eat it.
>>
>>7799738
Why don't you just set yourself on fire to keep yourself warm?
>>
What if I was trapped on Mars?
>>
>>7799830
You can block (most of) the radiation with thick metal and foil that will still radiate the heat out
>>
pu-238 but you wont get ahold of it
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.