[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your guys' opinion on the Microsoft Surface for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: surface.jpg (149KB, 760x450px) Image search: [Google]
surface.jpg
149KB, 760x450px
What is your guys' opinion on the Microsoft Surface for note taking as a student? The one note software seems pretty neat but I'm not sure if electronic notes is a good idea.
>>
>>7799142
I have one and use it alot (using it rn).

In my calc3 class, there were a couple of people that took theirs to take notes.... srs

I used it mostly for doing practice problems and stuff. Saves me mad paper yo.
>>
>>7799142

PEN AND PAPER
E
N

A
N
D

P
A
P
E
R
>>
>>7799147
Do you have a seperate laptop or desktop as well or is your surface your primary computer?
>>
>>7799155
I just use the surface. It's more than enough for me right now desu.

it has an i5 and 4gb of ram + 180gb hd.

I'm using the first one though, planning to upgrade to the pro4 in the summer. I recommend it.
>>
>>7799166
Thanks boss
>>
>>7799152
What is this 1960? We have laptops now to take notes. Stay up to date Granpa
>>
>>7799152

C H A R C O A L + P A P Y R U S
H..............................................U
A..............................................R
R...................................##.......Y
C..................................##........P
O.................................##.........A
A................................##..........P
L................................##...........+
+...............................##............L
P..............................##............A
A.............................................O
P..............................................C
Y..............................................R
R..............................................A
U..............................................H
S U R Y P A P + L A O C R A H C
>>
>>7799215
10/10 post

OP get a galaxy note for real tho, esp if you have an android phone
>>
Better than a laptop?
They're about the same price range
>>
>>7799215
sick
>>
you can use pen and paper and your surface can click a pic of it and scan using ocr. if your needs arent heavy consider the surface 3 instead of pro line
>>
>>7799218
I support this post. The note was my most reliable accessory in math and physics courses
>>
>>7799142
Eh, you have to write pretty large, but it's better than using a keyboard.
It also occasionally fucks with you if your palm re-adjusts and it suddenly reacts to touch input because you raised the pen too much.

I just suggest to not get the Surface 3. Get the Pro 3. And avoid the Pro 4 until they fix Win 10.
Seriously, the Surface RT was a better device than the Surface 3, despite running Windows RT. It did everything better, outside of running software and pen input. Hell, even the physical button placement was better. No idea which Chinaman decided to put the standby button on the wrong side even though they'd already done it correctly in prior iterations.
Also, Surface 3 uses micro-USB to charge. Which takes at least three hours when shut off and never stops when it's actively in use.
>>
>>7799430
Sometimes you need a hammer, sometimes a screwdriver and some people need a screwdriver with a heavy handle.

Just take the thing that's got the best position on the sliding scale for you.
And always have a proper PC for any real work, at least as a backup. It removes an infinite amount of hassle that you would get if you relied exclusively on mobile devices.
PCs are simply more reliable. And cheaper.
>>
>>7799744
How is it better than a keyboard?
>>
>>7799751
Because you can write your equations directly.
I guess some people can Tex quickly enough, but most will find the pen more comfortable.
>>
>>7799752
I switched to Tex in my first semester, after one or two lectures it went swimmingly. Just use some higher level editor like lyx, don't go emacs/vim + basic tex on the first day
>>
>>7799757
Yeah, in the end it's a matter of personal preferences.

Still, you can't exactly draw with Tex, can you? I like to make notes on my script pdfs and do explanatory drawings in OneNote.
Though I had a bit of a rough time understanding how that shit actually works. Turns out the Metro App is actually better than the x86 app for drawing purposes.
And, while the PDF reader allows for note taking, it's really restrictive.
>>
>>7799761
One can, I can't yet. There's libraries like tikz, but they seem too code-intensive to do a graphic on the fly.

But I agree, sometimes I wished I could have just written something down, but in most cases I felt more comfortable with tex. A laptop with touchscreen might be the optimal solution (for me)
>>
>>7799765
Well, in five years or so we'll have notebooks whose keyboards can roll up into pens, with cameras that can read hand gestures while you use the pen.
We'll have the best of all worlds.

Or maybe they'll start getting so good at voice recognition that they device will automatically make your notes. Though that would kinda defeat half of the point of making notes.
>>
I have a question. I have pretty crappy handwriting in general which I can read so taking notes on paper works fine. My question is how good is the tablet at interpreting my handwriting?
>>
>>7799776
Even worse. You'll have to relearn writing on a tablet basically.
>>
>>7799142
I have to surface 3 ( non pro, 4 gb).
Its amazing for school, I can work out problems on the screen and email them to other students.

It can also run tf2, so that's a huge plus.
>>
>>7799810
Have you found a way to disable scaling?
I tried to install the Intel control center, but that requires the standard Intel driver, which the tablet blocks.
It's like the plebs don't understand 4:3 gaming.
>>
>>7799810
it can run basic cad as well. the surface 3 is amazing bang for buck
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.