[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come you divide by the permutations that are identical rather

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: permutations.png (30KB, 1261x324px) Image search: [Google]
permutations.png
30KB, 1261x324px
How come you divide by the permutations that are identical rather than subtracting?

I have been spending quite a bit of time thinking about this, though I have not come up with any formal reasons.

The closest thing my brain can put together is that you have some multiplicative rather than additive "overcounting".

Is it even possible to formally prove counting formulas like this without appealing to intuition?

Why is the product rule correct even?
>>
>>7798300
Think about grouping the original [math] 5 ! [/math] permutations into groups of two, each one containing the two permutations of [math]P_1[/math] and [math]P_2[/math] within that particular permutation of HAPPY.

For instance, one of the groups might be { H P[math] _1[/math] Y P [math] _2 [/math] A , H P[math] _2[/math] Y P [math] _1 [/math] A }.

The two elements in each group are identical, and elements in different groups are not identical, so we care about the number of groups. If there are 120 elements and we put them in groups of 2, there are 120 / 2 groups.

You can generalize this visual understanding to the general case, and to formally prove counting formulas like this without appealing to intuition.
>>
>Is it even possible to formally prove counting formulas like this without appealing to intuition?
It is more subtle than that.
Math is defined in such a way that these intuitive rules are correct. If you accept the fact that it is a reasonable model (which it is), then you might say that you have "proved" this intuitive thing.
But really, all you did is create a mathematical model of what you were talking about, prove things about your model, then interpret the result as a property of the initial object.

>Why is the product rule correct even?
If you have a bag containing objects coming in m shapes and n colours such that, for each shape, there is exactly one object of each colour, then you have mn objects.
Indeed, to count the objects, you may group them by shape: you then get m disjoing groups, each containing n objects. The total number of objects is the sum of the number of objects in each group, that is m times n.
You may formalize this argument using sets but that's basically the idea.
>>
>>7798321
so with 3 identical elements, each group would have 3! elements one for each ordering that otherwise appears identical? Diving makes sense to me here I think, the grouping explanation helps.

How does the multiplication (or repeated division) of group numbers when there are several groups of repeat elements like AABBC work out?

>>7798351
Well putting it that way makes it sound pretty sensible.
>>
>>7798406
AABBC
5! / (2! * 2!)
>>
>>7798834
Though why the multiplication of the two group permutations?
>>
>>7798857
There are 2! permutations of the two A's, and for each of these, there are 2! permutations of the two B's. So we add 2! to itself 2! times, which means multiplication.

It's the same reasoning as why the number of permutations of n objects is n*(n-1)*(n-1)*...*2*1.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.