[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>in QM class >lecturer lists the topics we'll be going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

File: 1424626194222.jpg (32KB, 680x583px) Image search: [Google]
1424626194222.jpg
32KB, 680x583px
>in QM class
>lecturer lists the topics we'll be going over this semester
>writes SUSY on the board
>hear people snicker, laugh, ask 'did he write susy on the board?'

>in complex analysis class
>going over metric spaces
>learn about the word 'clopen'
>nobody had heard it before
>people laughing, asking 'is he serious?'

Why do people go into these courses if they have no interest beyond getting a degree? It's like no one has read about the topics they're studying.
>>
>people laughing about names
Punch those middle schoolers, OP. Punch 'em right in the balls.
>>
>>7797512
>It's like no one has read about the topics they're studying.
people have other things to do, surprisingly.

why would you go to a course if you already know the material.
>>
>>7797512
It's because you're studying a meme degree instead of a professional degree. That's the kind of quality classmates you can expect untill you get to grad-school.
>>
>>7797512
>Why do people go into these courses if they have no interest beyond getting a degree?
Because they want to get a degree?
Are you retarded OP? Might explain your lack of sense of humor.
>>
>>7797523
I don't know the material, but obviously i've read around the topics i'm studying before i choose them... who goes to a class completely oblivious to what they're going to learn?

>>7797532
what's the point if you're obviously not interested? i mean, SUSY is probably mentioned even in popsci at this point.
>>
>>7797547
everyone but you, you tryhard virgin
>>
>>7797512
They are not laughing because of the names but because SUSY is an outdated pseudo-scientific theory that has been proven wrong and superseded by better theories.
>>
File: very_good.jpg (55KB, 444x504px) Image search: [Google]
very_good.jpg
55KB, 444x504px
>>7797553
>>
>not laughing about silly names
>>
>>7797512
My algebra professor once acronymized the category of Finite Abelian Groups as "FAG", before quickly erasing it.
>>
>>7797512
>>in QM class
>>lecturer lists the topics we'll be going over this semester
>>writes SUSY on the board

What QM class does SUSY? Don't tell me you're taking a popsci class

>in complex analysis class
>going over metric spaces
>learn about the word 'clopen'

What complex analysis class does metric spaces without requiring real analysis/topology as a prerequisite?
>>
OP's meme courses aside, this is pretty common stuff. Normies also laugh off things they don't understand because it's okay to be stupid as long as you're "being funny."
>>
>>7798288
lol

If I ever get to publish a paper, I'm gonna use that acronym.
>>
>>7797512
Who calls it 'clopen'? Just say the set is open and closed. Math is about specificity.

>>7798292
All complex analysis classes do, welcome to 2016. I'm taking CA as a freshman.
>>
>>7798292
>What QM class does SUSY?
^This

SUSY requires knowledge of QFT.
>>
>>7798427
>Math is about specificity.
It's also about compactness. Clopen is more compact than "open and closed".
>>
>>7798427
>definition: A set U is called clopen if it is both open and closed.

Look, now we have specificity.
>>
>>7798482
>math is about compactness
Not OP, but really now?

>>7798487
That's just retarded.
>>
>>7798495
You're really uppity about something that gets used all the time for a freshman in college.
>>
>>7798495
Clopen is literally completely standard throughout mathematical literature. I have literally no idea what your problem is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clopen_set
>>
>>7798482
Can't tell if trying to be punny or just retarded.
>>
>>7798499
>>7798503
>People getting mad about math
The autism of this thread is killing me.

>gets used all the time
Really? All the time? Oh no, better give it a new word that sounds so retarded people laugh when we introduce it in classes.

>Or we could just say the subset is both open and close, and rely on definitions and axioms to do math

No, we need a word, a good, solid word that combines two words that would have worked perfectly well to create some twisted juxtaposition of English syntax.

I bet you're one of those people who "likes" things on Facebook.
>>
>>7798542
You claimed nobody in math uses it (despite being a freshman and literally having seen next to no math), when in fact the term is standard throughout the literature. Whether you think it's stupid is irrelevant; when you have to write the phrase "let U be a subset that is both open and closed" enough times, you start looking for shorthands.
>>
>>7797512
>QM

Thanks for the hint. My respond to your question is that I wouldn't ever expect anything more from literal memers. Physics majors disgust me.
>>
>>7798547
>Implying I'm OP (I'm a senior, feel better?)
>Implying "let U be a clopen subset" doesn't just sound mentally retarded.
>>
>>7798552
>engineerfag detected
>>
>>7798554
>engineer

No, but thank you for the compliment. I see you recognize that I will be paid more and in general just live a better life than you.

However, that is not because I am an engineer. I'm a mathfag instead. Also

>Trying to defend a group of retards who chose their major because of black science man, veritasium and the big bang theory

Oh boy do you have low standards for what you are willing to defend.
>>
>>7798560
>I will be paid more
Only if you work hard and your job market doesn't become oversaturated. The fate of every engineering major except for maybe Civil and Nuclear will be that of the ChemE's. And really? Math major? Have fun with your cubicle job.
>>
>>7798578
>Cubicle job

>Data Analyst
>Statistician
>Software Engineer
>Applied/Pure researcher
>Actuary

You are right. All comfy jobs that can be completely carried out in a small office. No need to stand up and get shitty equipment. My only apparatus is my brain and my computer.

>Not realizing people who study math want these kind of jobs
>Being this retarded

So yeah, I'll have fun. Good luck, getting any job at all. And now don't make me post the link of the 30-something physics guy who literally killed himself because after decades of work, the best job he could get was in a fucking call center because he made the shitty decision of studying physics. Don't make me because I willl!
>>
>>7798553
>feel better
I guess. You're still incorrect, just less annoyingly arrogant.
>>
>>7798611
Employers are interested in far more than just what course you did at university.

As long as you aren't a complete sperg physics keeps a lot of employment options open that other degrees do not
>>
>>7798553
>"let U be a clopen subset" sounds mentally retarded
At this point I'm pretty sure you're baiting. No-one is this ostentatiously moronic.
>>
>>7798611
>All comfy jobs
>comfy
>desk jockey
>only apparatus is my computer *fixed*
Oh no, don't post the physics meme guy! A 30-year-old couldn't find a job because he got a degree with no real job experience! How could that happen!

Anyway, I'm really enjoying my work with the South Pole Telescope, have fun at your desk.
>>
>>7798642
Not bait, I swear, I'm derailing this thread because I'm for real.
>>7798631
Thanks
>>
>learning category theory
>"a subcategory is called full if..."
>makes sense, on to next definition
>"a subcategory is called lluf if...
>Did they just fucking spell full backwards?
Category theory is really interesting but this one takes the cake for the stupidest name for a math term.
>>
>>7798665
hahaha, we didn't cover that term in our category theory course. What is the definition? I'm curious now.

Did you also have a backwards version of a faithful functor?
>>
>>7798665
Category theory is bad about that. It's tough, you really have nothing to base names off of sometimes. You could try to use the name of a similar property of set/grp/rng, but that is often misleading. Sometimes it's just far too abstract to even make the connections.
>>
>>7798665
Another name for lluf if "wide". Use wide instead.
>>
>>7798663
>Not bait, I swear, I'm derailing this thread because I'm for real.

You are an idiot, anon.

Let X be a topological space. Let U be a clopen subset of it X. Then consider the complement of U with regards to X, call it V. In other words, let
[math]V=X\setminus U[/math].
It follows that V must also be clopen (complement of a closed set is open and complement of an open set is closed).

This means that if U and V are both non-empty then they partition your space into two disjoint open sets.

We can now say that a space is connected iff it has no clopen proper subsets.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connected_space
>>
>>7798651
top kek the way you downplay the professions I listed just shows how butthurt you are. 2 of the jobs I listed were ranked in the top 5 best jobs of 2015. And the entire top 5 were all mathematician jobs, but the rest required a PhD and I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Anyways, two can play this game.
>Being a telescope technician
>Being a telescope monkey

They are like cats. Follow the bright light! Follow the bright light!
>>
>>7798687
I never downplayed the professions you listed, you did

>Being a telescope technician/monkey
That's what we hire engineers for. And contrary to your belief, we prefer looking for the things that you, and cats, can't see.
>>
>studying almost any area of advanced maths
>homo homo homo
eheheehehhhehehhhh
>>
>>7798684
Nice try, I bet you just made that up.
>>
>>7798731
It's a standard result in topology.
>>
>>7798750
It's not a result, it's the definition of a connected space. Which is stupid, because it's just one space then.
>>
>>7798672
It's the same thing as a wide category but sometimes it's called a lluf category.
I'm tempted to use lluf instead because of how ridiculous the name is.
Also, calling an epimorphism an epic morphism.
That always sounded dumb to me as well lol.
>>
File: 1450795077920.jpg (55KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
1450795077920.jpg
55KB, 480x720px
>>7798754
>Which is stupid, because it's just one space then
Is this your first time trolling? You gotta at least attempt to make it sound like you're serious.
>>
>>7797547
I've read a million popsci books and only just now am I finding out what susy means
read about it but never saw that name
>>
>>7798763
>look, it's a new /sci/ poster
Hello fellow member!
How's that science today? Don't you love all the science we're doing here at /sci/? Disproving and proving theorems? Oh, don't look at that thread, they're just arguing semantics, that rarely happens.
Eyes up here, the tour is starting!
To your left, you'll see a thread all about global warming and its effects on weather patterns. Very interesting stuff if you ignore some of the posters from /pol/. They come here sometimes, but rarely.
On your right you'll see...No, look here, not at that thread discussing whether 4/2(2) is 1 or 2, that never happens! Oh, and ignore that alien thread. And that one about Donald Trump. And that one that's just about how everyone hates popsci. Pretend those don't exist! Hahaha, now back to real science!
>>
>>7798763
You dumbass, have you even taken any classes on set theory, or did you just jump over to this thread because you wanted to look cool?
>>
>>7798783
Kek 2bh
>>
>>7798578
>Nuclear
lol

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/nuclear-engineers.htm
>>
>>7798503
>Clopen is literally completely standard throughout mathematical literature
Nope. It's more of an inside joke / meme footnote in introductory american point-set topology books. I haven't ever seen the wordd "clopen" used in higher maths.
>>
File: 1439315570550.png (782KB, 490x1015px) Image search: [Google]
1439315570550.png
782KB, 490x1015px
>>7797553
>superseded by better theories
like what
>>
>>7798445
No it doesn't, You can teach the basics of SUSY even using just classical mechanics
>>
File: 1452779972374.jpg (1MB, 5628x3348px) Image search: [Google]
1452779972374.jpg
1MB, 5628x3348px
>>7797512
>STOP FINDING HUMOUR IN THINGS
OP you sound like a really insufferable shitstain

being a joyless faggot doesn't mean you take math any more seriously than someone who can laugh at things

I bet you think being contrarian means you're insightful, too.
>>
>>7799813
I have; it's used in the context of Baire space and forcing notions.
>>
File: Untitled.png (554KB, 533x675px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
554KB, 533x675px
>go to school bookstore to laugh at all the fools who are about to get their wallet raped
>see this
>snicker
>>
>>7797512
They are. No one wants to be around an insufferable asshole OP.
>>
>>7799869
>You can teach the basics of SUSY even using just classical mechanics

That doesn't make sense, it is a theory of particle physics. The most basic way to describe it would be like [math]{Q_{SUSY}}\left| {boson} \right\rangle = \left| {fermion} \right\rangle[/math].
>>
I laughed at HOMO in chemistry. Didn't laught at LUMO.
>>
>>7800076
this desu senpai
>>
>>7798427
>All complex analysis classes do, welcome to 2016. I'm taking CA as a freshman.

HAHAHA there are still people who don't know what metric spaces are even in 1st year...

Are you in the US ? Your undergrad are so poor...
>>
>>7800076
>spell mathematics wrong
>put it near music

Is your school like the biggest troll or what?
>>
>>7800318
No, I'm in Finland, american universities are so much worse though
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.