[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the fact that most people are right handed a result of biology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1453134797760.jpg (37KB, 800x467px) Image search: [Google]
1453134797760.jpg
37KB, 800x467px
Is the fact that most people are right handed a result of biology or culture? Or both?

Could it be because those language regions are found in the left hemisphere?
>>
A better question is, why can't people naturally use both hands equally effective ? It's not like we can walk so well with one foot but just keep dragging the other one.
>>
>>7797282
Probably just a lack of practice. There's really not much point learning to use both hands equally well at difficult fine motor tasks, and dedicating the time and neurons to such a feat would be costly.
>>
>>7797285
But even though you're not tought to use a certain hand, babies tend to use one hand for holding objects or pointing at stuff or scratching. Just as people tend to use a certain foot when kicking a football or jumping while running.
>>
>>7797281
First of all
>left hemisphere

I'm not a biologist but IMHO it's first the biological asymmetry of the brain causing toddlers to generally prefer the right hand, which makes it more likely for righthanded devices to be created, further reinforcing the righthandedness.

Alternatively, there's nothing inherently better about the right hand, but because ambidexterity is not a stable equilibrium (I'll need to kill myself after using this many pretentious words), if one protoengineer started creating right-handed tools (prolly because he was left handed and busy wanking with the other) then that creates an incentive for preferring the right hand, I.e. The ability to use tools, effectively pushing the equilibrium off-balance
>>
>>7797282
Depending on the style of guitar you play, your left hand is probably doing the more dexterous task, however when you start playing you're just holding chords so it makes more sense to have the right hand strum/pluck.
>>
>>7797282
You probably can't use both feet equally well either. Ever played soccer? For most people it's much easier to kick with the one foot than the other.
>>
>>7797281
most of the universe is right bias go tho the beach and find a spiralling shell that goes left
>rear see shells
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.