[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im a neurological novice. Im being put on medication for chronic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: z56.png (7KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
z56.png
7KB, 224x224px
Im a neurological novice. Im being put on medication for chronic anxiety. Whats the science behind changing brain chemistry with medication? Is it a "permanent" fix?
>>
>>7796513
It alone is not permanent. It will stop the effects of your problem for a while and that is why you take it again. You have to keep taking it until you get over your problems but usually the reason you can even get over those problems is because the medication helped you be 'normal'.
>>
>>7796513
It is meant to help you in getting on the right track. Combining medication with psychotherapy yields best results. But you are supposed to quit your mediaction at some point.
>>
>>7796514
Yes this is why im doing it coinciding with therapy. Makes me feel better thanks.
>>
>>7796534
Also you should stop hanging out with mentally ill losers like everyone on 4chan. Get yourself some good influences.
>>
>>7796538
This board has genuinely interesting conversation sometimes. I do plan on using the internet less, it can be over stimulating at times especially when you feel like shit
>>
>>7796513
Well, what are you getting?
No drugs used for anxiety (or nearly anything else) cause permanent changes.
We usually give Benzodiazepines like Diazepam (Valium), Chlordiazepoxid (Librium), Alprazolam (Xanax), Lorazepam (Ativan)... Their duration of action is very variable, Diazepam might work for 24-48 hours, while Lorazepam is just 6-8 hours. By this point your kidney excretes nearly all of the drug, your liver deactivates it, etc.
Sometimes Barbiturates are used (pretty rare today) and even Beta-Blockers, especially if there are also CV indications.Their mechanisms are different, but all these drugs generally increase the GABA activity in your entire brain (hopefully one day we will have more specific drugs, but CNS drugs are currently still pretty bad n that regard).
>>
>>7797293
I should note though that with chronic use, they do cause quite a few changes in the synapses (which is where both the tolerance and the withdrawal symptoms come from), but those are generally also reversed shortly after your stop taking the medications.
>>
theres alot of psycho meds that are literally
>IT JUST WERKS

basically becuase we can't look at the brain while under the influence of theses drugs
but their guesses are pretty educated that it regulates either amount or how your neurotransmitters act in synapses
>>
Solid album, OP
>>
>>7797293
Bupropion. It doesn't appear to increase my GABA activity which seems to be an important part of anxiety in the brain? The psychiatrist refused any Benzos.
>>
>>7797587
They have a new album coming out this year :)
>>
>>7796546
do something that makes you proud. learn something practical and valuable like fixing motorbikes or programming computers or cooking.
practice sport
stop caring about others
>>
>>7797671
Well, obviously he knows a lot more about this than I do (med-student). I do know antidepressants are often prescribed for anxiety, but don't really know why.
>>
>>7797738
Because they work obviously.

Also, benzos lose their effect rapidly, needing higher and higher dosage, and eventually you have a physical dependency. They should not be used daily for more than a few weeks at a time.
>>
>>7796513
>Whats the science behind changing brain chemistry with medication? Is it a "permanent" fix?

we basically throw shit at your brain and see what werks

we have no idea why it werks when it werks, and no idea why it doesnt werk when it doesnt, welcome to the well understood world of mental health medication

As a matter of fact only about 11% of all medical practices are based on "science-based evidence" ie we undestand what happens, how it happens, why it happens, how to fix it. the rest 89% is "evidence-based medicine" which means "if we do this it gets better, see all these people here, it worked for them"
>>
>>7797745
Absolutely agree on both accounts, but I do believe there is least a proposed mechanism
>>
>>7797752
Well the direct effect is an increase in extracellular serotonin. How that leads to its effect is unclear. Possibly an increase in BDNF.
>>
>>7797751
For any treatment, not only drugs, a "science-based theory" are never acceptable by itself. I always has to be verified by evidence. Our entire scientific understanding of complex biological systems relies on simplification, and there are still many things we don't understand. Obviously we've made a lot of progress from the old "try random shit and see if it works", and today there are brilliantly designed drugs based on years of research that are showing great results, but there are just as many drugs that were great in theory but didn't work in practice. Many great discoveries have actually been made by trying to figure out why drugs that were supposed to work don't work.
>>
>>7797755
I read about an increase of glucocorticoid receptors in the hippocampus. This is supposed to increase feedback in the HPA axis resulting in less anxiety.
>>
They treat symptoms and not the source of the problem.
>>
>>7798114
what if there is no root problem?
>>
>>7798114
True. Feel free to develop any alternative treatments you come up with, Neuro is very much a growing field.
>>
OP, try a strong dose of ketamine for your condition.
It can potentially alleviate your anxiety for quite a while. Please do try this.
>>
>>7798224
mdma worked. I felt great for a month after but it faded eventually. I don't like dissociates, but I have never tried ketamine. How does it help anxiety?
>>
>>7798295
>I felt great for a month after but it faded eventually
Why not do it once a month instead of medicating every day and suffering possible side effects?
K-hole doses of ketamine have been shown to have the same effect on depression that you got from MDMA. Would be logical if it worked for anxiety but then again, if MDMA does the trick then do utilize it.
>>
>>7799551
You can't do it every month safely. You're supposed to wait 3 months or else its possible you will get a serotonin deficiency. I will look into ketamine though.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.