Im a neurological novice. Im being put on medication for chronic anxiety. Whats the science behind changing brain chemistry with medication? Is it a "permanent" fix?
It alone is not permanent. It will stop the effects of your problem for a while and that is why you take it again. You have to keep taking it until you get over your problems but usually the reason you can even get over those problems is because the medication helped you be 'normal'.
Well, what are you getting?
No drugs used for anxiety (or nearly anything else) cause permanent changes.
We usually give Benzodiazepines like Diazepam (Valium), Chlordiazepoxid (Librium), Alprazolam (Xanax), Lorazepam (Ativan)... Their duration of action is very variable, Diazepam might work for 24-48 hours, while Lorazepam is just 6-8 hours. By this point your kidney excretes nearly all of the drug, your liver deactivates it, etc.
Sometimes Barbiturates are used (pretty rare today) and even Beta-Blockers, especially if there are also CV indications.Their mechanisms are different, but all these drugs generally increase the GABA activity in your entire brain (hopefully one day we will have more specific drugs, but CNS drugs are currently still pretty bad n that regard).
I should note though that with chronic use, they do cause quite a few changes in the synapses (which is where both the tolerance and the withdrawal symptoms come from), but those are generally also reversed shortly after your stop taking the medications.
theres alot of psycho meds that are literally
>IT JUST WERKS
basically becuase we can't look at the brain while under the influence of theses drugs
but their guesses are pretty educated that it regulates either amount or how your neurotransmitters act in synapses
Because they work obviously.
Also, benzos lose their effect rapidly, needing higher and higher dosage, and eventually you have a physical dependency. They should not be used daily for more than a few weeks at a time.
>Whats the science behind changing brain chemistry with medication? Is it a "permanent" fix?
we basically throw shit at your brain and see what werks
we have no idea why it werks when it werks, and no idea why it doesnt werk when it doesnt, welcome to the well understood world of mental health medication
As a matter of fact only about 11% of all medical practices are based on "science-based evidence" ie we undestand what happens, how it happens, why it happens, how to fix it. the rest 89% is "evidence-based medicine" which means "if we do this it gets better, see all these people here, it worked for them"
For any treatment, not only drugs, a "science-based theory" are never acceptable by itself. I always has to be verified by evidence. Our entire scientific understanding of complex biological systems relies on simplification, and there are still many things we don't understand. Obviously we've made a lot of progress from the old "try random shit and see if it works", and today there are brilliantly designed drugs based on years of research that are showing great results, but there are just as many drugs that were great in theory but didn't work in practice. Many great discoveries have actually been made by trying to figure out why drugs that were supposed to work don't work.
>I felt great for a month after but it faded eventually
Why not do it once a month instead of medicating every day and suffering possible side effects?
K-hole doses of ketamine have been shown to have the same effect on depression that you got from MDMA. Would be logical if it worked for anxiety but then again, if MDMA does the trick then do utilize it.