[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will we ever be able to see the multitude of colors and stuff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 25.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
25.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
Will we ever be able to see the multitude of colors and stuff that the 3 cones in our eyes don't allow us to?
Is it really completely impossible without implanting more cones or something? Would even doing that work?

Please respond, it bothers me that there's stuff I'm not seeing.
>>
Maybe if we could design retinal pigments that react to different frequencies than our own do, and then implant them into stem cells and let them grow in there.
>>
>>7796020
>>7796020
this means that you would have to design enzymes that anabolize those new pigments and then introduce genes for those new enzymes into that stem cell, too. we are talking about up to hundred genes plus all their regulators sequences introduced in a way that does not switch off any important original shit
seems more or less impossible to me because designing those new synthethizer genes alone could take hundred years or so.
>>
*forgot:
and it would be much easier to simply modify the already existing pigments with highly selective drugs, bound to aptamers or something
>>
File: colors.jpg (56KB, 1282x867px) Image search: [Google]
colors.jpg
56KB, 1282x867px
>>7796014

>Will we ever be able to see the multitude of colors and stuff that the 3 cones in our eyes don't allow us to?

Not realistically any time soon. I mean you could say that anything is possible in a long enough timeline

Other animals can see IR and UV, who knows how they perceive it:

"The ability to sense infrared thermal radiation evolved independently in several different families of snakes. Essentially, it allows these animals to "see"[1] radiant heat at wavelengths between 5 and 30 μm to a degree of accuracy such that a blind rattlesnake can target vulnerable body parts of the prey at which it strikes.[2]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_sensing_in_snakes#Anatomy

Nectar guides are markings or patterns seen in flowers of some angiosperm species, that guide pollinators to their rewards. Rewards commonly take the form of nectar, pollen, or both, but various plants produce oil,[1] resins,[2] scents,[3] or waxes... in some plants, such as sunflowers, they are visible only when viewed in ultraviolet light. Under ultraviolet, the flowers have a darker center, where the nectaries are located, and often specific patterns upon the petals as well. This is believed to make the flowers more attractive to pollinators such as honey bees and other insects that can see ultraviolet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nectar_guide

It's like that philosophical idea of qualia, who knows if the red that I see is the red that you see? What if what I see as red you see as orange, what you see as red you see as violet? Like the spectrum is shifted over.

There's nothing special about colors. It's just a sensory mechanism to help our depth perception and object recognition that utilizes the differences in frequencies of light that are absorbed or reflected between different materials
>>
>>7796014
The pigments in retinas provide an image with contrast. It's neural networks that decode and construct visualized models which are then perceived. If we wanted to alter our perception, we would tinker with these networks rather than the retina.
>>
>>7796014
I think you're confusing colors and frequencies
>>
With a diet that regulates vitamin A and gives you a variation of it you can see a little bit into IR.

With a trivial operation you can see UV but that is not recommended since the retina is damaged by it over time.
>>
>>7796014
>Will we ever be able to see the multitude of colors and stuff that the 3 cones in our eyes don't allow us to?
if only there would be some kind of device
a sort of electronical mcguffin that could register, amplify and visualize the stuff you're not seeing

man can only hope that one day such magnificent device will become reality
>>
>>7796104
Thing is that we don't have to start from scratch since human tetrachromats(four cones) already exists due to nature being wonky. See article.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrachromacy
>>
File: 136.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
136.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>7800196
>implying that will ever happen
>implying such a device is even possible
>implying we will ever see beyond what our cones allow us to
why even live?
>>
>>7800262
>Humans cannot see ultraviolet light directly because the lens of the eye blocks most light in the wavelength range of 300–400 nm; shorter wavelengths are blocked by the cornea.[24]

Even if you had the cones to detect it, you still wouldn't see ultraviolet light.
>>
>>7800395
The point is that we do know something about the people with four cones and the genes that cause it. It will be easier in the future maybe inmplant it into other people if they want it. And as other anon mention you can see UV with a operation, it is dangerous for now but it may change.

>http://www.popsci.com/article/science/woman-sees-100-times-more-colors-average-person
>(Ignore the name of the website)
>The average person has three cones, which enables him to see about one million colors. But Antico has four cones, so her eyes are capable of picking up dimensions and nuances of color—an estimated 100 million of them—that the average person cannot.

Regardless of UV seeing 100 times more colors with one extra cone, around 100 million of them, is still pretty neat imo
>>
>>7796014

IR would be useful but it'd get annoying. UV is just a nice way to make going outside painful
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.