[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As of today, the new largest prime number we know of has been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

As of today, the new largest prime number we know of has been confirmed of being [math] 2^{74,207,281}-1 [/math]
It is the 49th Mersenne prime and is 22,338,618 digits long
>>
>>7795758
And?
>>
>>7795769
/thread

mathfags still trying to prove their field is useful
>>
>>7795781
>science and math board
>OP posts thread related to math

Im guessing you're failing your civil engineering courses right OP?
>>
>>7795758
that's a big ass number
>>
>>7795781
The discovery of it was useful, GIMPs is used pretty heavily to benchmark computer hardware
And anyway, it's another added bit of human knowledge, why would you be against that?
>>
>>7795781
>what is encryption
>>
>>7795785

It's as if you think math doesn't belong on this board, or is a subject of last resort.

>>7795781

We would keep doing our thing regardless of application. We have long since earned our keep.

t. not the OP
>>
>>7795809

Anon, by arguing the utility of the find, you are falling into the plebians' rhetorical trap. He always has to have some sort of an application, never appreciating anything for its own sake. Meanwhile, a cuck with a chip on his shoulder, he his obliged to write, speak, and think in my language.

Although I have to admit that a computer bruteforcing a big number isn't such a big deal to me. Hardly knowledge.
>>
>>7795829
Well fuck you then buddy
>>
>>7795758
>largest prime number we know of
How computationally intensive is constructing an additional one? Of course Euclid's shit would take forever; can you discuss modern methods for constructing these large primes, how this number was constructed/found and speculate on how soon we'll supplant it?
>>
>>7795923
>>7795758
there is no limit to the largest prime number we know of.

Take all the primes numbers we know of
multiply them together
add 1
congratulations, we have a new largest prime number.

But we need the prime numbers between the new largest and the old largest to construct an even bigger one.
>>
>>7795943
>Take all the primes numbers we know of
>multiply them together
>add 1
It's funny you don't recognize this as exactly what I meant by "Euclid's shit" or realize I'm asking about explicit representations like the one in the OP. Sure is summer in here.
Go ahead, multiply every prime from 2 to 2^74207281-1 and add 1. I'll wait.
>>
>>7795943
Are you retarded?

First, do you know how computationally intensive multiplication is in computers?

Second, do you know how many multiplications we'd have to do to get the end result?

Third, do you know how fucking fast the multiplication time would increase by the amount of digits we would be handling.

Are you literally, completely retarded and ignorant of computation implications?

>>7795995
There is an organization that does this with a more specific algorithm that can just find mersenne primes. Check out the details
http://www.mersenne.org/various/math.php

However, even that takes a bunch of multiplication and that is why they share the burden of all those multiplications between the computers of everyone who volunteers.
>>
>>7795781
>mathfags still trying to prove their field is useful

basis for every exact science and all engineering fields.
>not useful

kek
>>
>>7795943
you do realize that would just give us a number that is coprime with those primes in the product? it could still be divisible by other primes not included

for example, pretend we only knew about the primes up to 19
the primorial 2*3*5*7*11*13*17*19 = 9699690
+1 = 9699691 = 347*27953
not prime
>>
>>7795995
>>7796059
>computational difficulty
How about the fact that it won't even give a prime in general?
>>
>>7795781
lol

i love this board.

goodnight guys.
>>
File: euclid[1].jpg (37KB, 620x320px) Image search: [Google]
euclid[1].jpg
37KB, 620x320px
"I proved there is no largest prime. Two millennia later, these morons are *still* looking for it. I ain't even mad."
>>
>>7795769
shhhhh, don't take away their fun, it hurts them
>>
>>7795758
I'm looking at the trend on the graph.
Why is there an inflection point around 2000?
I'd intuitively expect that graph to be exponential (and that's roughly what it is until 2000).
Is it because the digits in the largest known prime correlate more with advances in number theory than with CPU power available?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.