[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how long does the brain take to repair itself after 5 years of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8

File: ayyy.jpg (39KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
ayyy.jpg
39KB, 709x765px
how long does the brain take to repair itself after 5 years of heavy marijuana smoking?
>>
The brain does not repair itself.
>>
The damage is permanent.

Actually I'm not really sure. From drugabuse.gov (probably biased)

Marijuana also affects brain development. When marijuana users begin using as teenagers, the drug may reduce thinking, memory, and learning functions and affect how the brain builds connections between the areas necessary for these functions.

Marijuana’s effects on these abilities may last a long time or even be permanent.

For example, a study showed that people who started smoking marijuana heavily in their teens and had an ongoing cannabis use disorder lost an average of eight IQ points between ages 13 and 38. The lost mental abilities did not fully return in those who quit marijuana as adults. Those who started smoking marijuana as adults did not show notable IQ declines (Meier, 2012).
>>
you were probably middle-class underachieving trailer trash before, you will be middle-class underachieving trailer trash after

there is no effect
dont blame weed for you being an unmotivated loser
>>
>>7794938
This. You're brain damaged op, you're brain might compensate some how (a bit like it does with people who've had strokes). But it'll never repair.
>>
Marijuana doesn't cause damage that needs repair.
>>
>>7794942
However for adolescents, the case is different.

http://news.meta.com/2016/01/18/twinsstudy/
>>
>>7794943
says the squirmy kid barely making Bs in intro to computer science
>>
>>7794942
How significant do they say the change is?
Is it towards a 2% change or a 10% change?
>>
>>7794937
Could be months to years, if you've been smoking daily for years don't quit cold turkey, you'll have to taper or else your going to have a nasty balancing out period, if Piracetam is available over the counter then get that, if not visit your GP and tell him/her your quitting cannabis consumption, it'll help you recover quicker and ameliorate the memory problems that come with quitting.
http://www.excli.de/vol12/Abdel-Salam_12032013_proof.pdf
Although you wont experience any physical withdrawal due to lack of CB receptors in peripheral tissues, your symptoms will be mostly psychological, expect depression, mood swings, boredom and lack of appetite.
Good luck!
>>
>abused amphetamines, weed and booze for years
>no observable brain damage, verifiable by pre and post drug-use EEG
lel, sucks to have shit genes and a fragile brain, cucks.
>>
>>7794987
Not OP.
But...
I want to thank you for giving useful advice and valuable information on /sci/
>>
>>7795003
Especially since everyone else on here is busy mocking OP rather than sharing knowledge.
>>
File: DaturaInoxia.jpg (14KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
DaturaInoxia.jpg
14KB, 400x533px
>>7794991
You wasted your money on getting an EEG.
>>7795003
No problem. Make wiser choices next time etc.
>>
It was hard OP. I was probably smoking consistently for a year and half. I quit last August and I'm still recovering. If I were to go back I would've never started, but, no need to cry over spilled milk. Good luck, quitting was pretty easy, just say no when someone offers you a toke, and don't buy kush.
>>
>>7794937
>2016
>Still buying into the reefer madness and believing weed causes even a tenth of the damage liquor does
>Not realizing your one of the only ones who have smoked themselves retarded, or atleast blames it on the smoke.
>>
File: 1442420607021.jpg (26KB, 342x401px) Image search: [Google]
1442420607021.jpg
26KB, 342x401px
>>7795104
>DUDE WEED DOES NOTHING LMAO
>>
>>7795265
This is what is stopping cannabis and cannabis derived compounds from becoming medicines. Philistinism and ignorance of blatant fact thanks to the 'DUDE SMOKE WEED ERRE DAY ITS JUST A PLANT' movement.
>>
>>7795104
> highly polluted lungs
> dead braincells
> memory loss and damaged cognition
> DUDE WEED ISNT DANGEROUS SNOOP DOGG SAID SO
Typical stoner
>>
4 years and 20 months
>>
we dont know
not many studies have been done for long term marijuana use and its effects on the brain

anecdotally once i quit smoking it took a few months and i was back to normal
>>
>>7795311
Kek
>>
>>7795310
physiological damage is irrelevant compared to the damage to motivation and work ethics caused by being a worthless pothead
>>
>>7795315

pretty much this

just get it out of your system OP
>>
does it even have withdrawal effects?

also OP your brain shouldn't need repairing unless someone put fucking anti-freeze in your weed, THC isn't a neurotoxin
>>
>>7794937
You can't heal from that.
Your first thought 5 years ago "i think weed is a good idea" pretty much revealed your destiny as a eternal idiot.
It's inevitible.
>>
>Great student & worker when on speed, otherwise a slug
>Can't consistently cope with the crash without the aid of marijauana
>Tried all kinds of replacements for both, none of which is a fifth as effective as the competition
>Can do things like a 2-week family vacation with no durgs, and handle it just fine
>But still can't be productive without amps, and can't do amps without wod on hand for the comdown
>autastically driven to be productive
>hence use amphetamines & weeed just about every day
>plus a fair bit of caffeine (~8 cups of tea per day)

how fugged am i /sci/
>>
>>7797046
Dude chill the fuck out and stop trying to type while on speed
>>
>>7797046
you're going to die after about 2 years in the real world.
>>
>>7795265
It doesn't, being depressed on the other hand, does.
>>
>>7797267
>It doesn't
That's not what the literature says ;)
>>
File: 1381265884659.gif (143KB, 246x238px) Image search: [Google]
1381265884659.gif
143KB, 246x238px
>>7794937
I R R E V E R S I B L E
D
A
M
A
G
E

I know it doesn't line up but fuck it
>>
>The brain does not repair itself.

As you can see OP, It's a mistake to ask /sci/ a biology related question
>>
>>7796372
Some people can experience headaches and irritabilty for a week or two after quitting cold turkey, but thats about the extent of it. Alot of people struggle with nightmares for awhile, sometimes months aftrr quitting because they are used to going to bed stoned for so long and not remembering their dreams.
>>
>>7794953
>being this butt ruffled
>>
>>7794943
Are you upper class? What did you achieve?
>>
>>7797591
Eternal. Glory.
>>
>>7794937
Go read Pardini et al 2015 in j abnormal child psych. Tldr: abstain for a year and you should be back to normal in terms of attention and academic function.
>>
>>7794942
>delinquent teens gradually slip in IQ versus people who stay in education followed by a challenging career
studies, when will they learn?
>>
>>7794970

90 % deal with it stupido
>>
>>7797286
>The brain repairs itself
Ok, here is bullet, now go repair
>>
>>7794943
>middle class trailer trash
>>
>>7794937

Lol, got a source that cannabis damages the brain? Last I checked, cannabis is a potent neuroprotectant.
>>
>>7794937
I've met a girl who smoked marijuana during all her teen years and still got a CE degree at a strong uni.

>>7797726
this.
>>
About a month. Three to five days to eat, sleep, and behave normally, a couple weeks to really return to your sober mojo, and then a couple months to get all the thc out of your system.
>>
Does light marijuana use affect the brain in a significant manner? I haven't smoked since late August, and don't plan on starting any time soon.
>>
>>7797632
nothing
>>
Just to inject a bit of reality into this thread, a recent drug trial using cannabinoids as painkillers resulted in one dead and 3 comatose.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/france-clinical-trial-one-person-brain-dead-and-five-more-in-hospital-after-drug-testing-a6813791.html
>>
>>7797988
>http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/france-clinical-trial-one-person-brain-dead-and-five-more-in-hospital-after-drug-testing-a6813791.html

Nice dubs.

Also, I'm assuming they must've been using a massive dosage or had some other similar medical mishap. The only reason people don't overdose when they smoke weed is because they pass out long before they smoke too much. However, when injecting, this may be entirely different.
>>
>>7797988

>the pill did not contain cannabis or its derivatives but acted on the body's endocannabinoid system.
>did not contain cannabis or its derivatives
>did not

people don't even read over their fucking arguments you should be ashamed honestly

the only thing you contributed are your dubs
>>
>>7794942
You're misimformed. A recent study debunked this eariler study by finding out that people with low IQ's are more likely to smoke to begin with, albeit change chronic users showed an IQ difference of 1 point when compared to non smoking teenagers. Read this like a week ago so shouldn't be hard to find via google search.
>>
>>7797975
Yes it does. Light cannabis use is a strong nueroprotectant which protects you against neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's. I suspect it also helps your brain heal after a night out of alcohol-induced brain damage.
>>
>>7798060
I saw this study too a few days ago. Basically confirmed what we already knew, which is that cannabis does not lower your IQ.
>>
File: 1451423081236.jpg (2MB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
1451423081236.jpg
2MB, 2550x3300px
This thread is a prime example why /sci/ is no better a board than any others on 4chan. Most dipshits here can't even help themselves from trolling and spreading blatant misinformation.
>>
>>7794947
This.
>>
OP, light to moderate use is GOOD for you. Heavy use is minimally damaging, and not in a permanent way.
Don't worry about it, light up, enjoy.
>>
>>7794947
This. If you think weed causes permanent damage to the brain thats noticeable you are fucking retarded. This board is trash and you are all trash. So much for applying all the logic and common sense your science educations have given you, fucking morons.
>>
>>7798073
Is there actual proof for your claims? This would make me want to vape once or twice a month, if this was the case.
>>
Based on your question OP, I strongly suspect you were retarded before you started blazing, so I wouldn't worry about it
>>
>>7794947
>Marijuana doesn't cause damage that needs repair.
lol, meaning the brain damaged caused doesn't need to be repaired, eh? It's the kinda brain damage that good for you!
>>
>>7798151
>brain damage
there is none w cannabis use, despite what questionable research, funded by govt agencies with a preconceived agenda to be used as propaganda tell you.
>>
>>7798093

Pothead detected

Even a few sessions of cannabis smoking is sufficient to induce neurological changes in a human being that are irreversible
>>
File: 1448414621245.png (330KB, 330x319px) Image search: [Google]
1448414621245.png
330KB, 330x319px
>neurons
>repair
pick one, and only one
>>
>>7798205
said changes are neutral though, not harmful in any way.
>>
>>7794937
idk man
I was heavy smoker in my teens, now in my early 20's i lack any motivation to do anything productive. Just cant force myself to do anything.

not sure if it's because of weed or because i'm just lazy piece of shit by nature
>>
>>7798325
You lack self-disipline, not motivation. You cant force yourself to do anything because you are so used to taking the easy way out whenever a challange of any kind arises. So DO that shit even when you dont WANT to, senpai. Think of that as lart of the training, part of improving yourself every single day. Part of growing up.
>>
>>7798405
*part
>>
>>7794937
Your brain is fine but your endocannabinoid system is likely off kilter if you smoked all day every day, you should be back to normal in a few months.

Keep in mind cannabis does not hold people back from achieving their goals. If you struggle with motivation cannabis will not help, but it doesn't necessarily hinder, it all depends on your own setup.
>>
>>7798078
>stops at 77 years

My grandfather hit 91 just last year

Neck yourself
>>
Did they take and study for the test high? Were they male or female? What was they're socioeconomic status? Arguably, smoking during puberty more than likely effects brain development.
>>
>>7799169
how much has he done since he hit 77
>>
>>7794937
the question is, is it worth it for just getting high, to risk damage on your brain? Its not like science is 100% sure about it. And furthermore it can cause problems with the heart and most scientist would agree on that. I mean if you are using medical marijuana because you have some real sickness like cancer and it help to calm you down and lower the pain you feel its of course worth it, but if you are just like most people using it just to cope with your shitty life, I think its bad.
>>
>>7798096

Neuroprotective antioxidants from marijuana
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10863546

A patent has actually been granted for using cannabis as an antioxidant and neuroprotectant. Interestingly enough, the owner of the patent is the US government, I kid you not:
Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants
http://www.google.ca/patents/US6630507

"This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia."
>>
>>7798205

>Even a few sessions of cannabis smoking is sufficient to induce neurological changes in a human being that are irreversible

What nonsense. Every study I've ever read on the long term effects of cannabis has either concluded that any effects are temporary and go away after ceasing use or say more research is needed. I know if no study that says any effects of cannabis on the brain are permanent.
>>
>>7797988
Synthetic weed. Not. Even. Once.

It does kind of amaze me how the plant's cannabinoids are so relatively harmless, yet all the synthetic cannabinoids are meth-tier horrible for you.
>>
>>7799494

>the question is, is it worth it for just getting high, to risk damage on your brain? Its not like science is 100% sure about it.

Valid question but of the research we do have, cannabis appears to be exponentially safer than alcohol - which is something most of the population uses and we know it damages the brain and causes cancer. Science is about 99% sure cannabis doesn't damage the brain. And people are like, until we know about that last 1%, we can't have legal cannabis and in the meantime, we are 100% sure alcohol damages the brain and no one has a problem with it or speaks out agaisnt it.
>>
>>7799877
My nigga Niels Bohr used to throw beer parties on the weekly. Proof that beer makes you a great quantum physicist.

Seriously though there's no strong evidence that moderate drinking in adults causes long-term mental impairment.
>>
>>7799891

We know that drinking heaviky shrinks brain volume by a few percent. Small amounts of alcohol are probably not too bad, but I know a lot of people who flirt with heavy alcoholic consumption and think it's "moderate."
>>
>>7794937
There is no hope, kill yourself.
>>
>>7798151
I think your lost in the lexical ambiguity of the guys post. You know god and well he didnt need that
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.