[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Maxwell's Equations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: maxwells-equations.gif (12KB, 282x278px) Image search: [Google]
maxwells-equations.gif
12KB, 282x278px
I am interested in learning about Maxwell's Equations but am wondering as to how much math I will need to know in order to understand them
>>
>>7794782
Vector calculus and it's prerequisites.
>>
File: Maxwell.png (7KB, 212x209px) Image search: [Google]
Maxwell.png
7KB, 212x209px
>>7794782
Vector Calculus and Linear Algebra
>>
>>7794782
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/ocw-scholar/
Single var calc, then physics I, then multivar calc, then physics II. The final topic of physics II is Maxwell's equations and light waves.
>>
>>7794786
>>7794787
Cheers.
Any recommendations as to where I could learn more about vector calculus and linear algebra?
>>
>>7794789
Thanks man
>>
>>7794789
>He thinks Physics II is E&M

laughingwhores.jpeg
>>
>>7794792
Hubbard and Hubbard's Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach
>>
>>7794792
>vector calculus
Div, grad, curl and all that

>Linear algebra
Linear algebra done right. It's mathematical rigours and might be a bit of a challenge.
>>
>>7794792
introductory linear algebra in multivar calc from >>7794789 is enough, you don't need a full class in linear algebra

disclaimer: all the info thus far has been so you can have an idea of what they mean and think you can manipulate those. to "really" understand it you would need at least two semesters of analysis. just ignore this if you don't mind having cursory understanding (physicists do this too anyway generally)
>>
>>7794794
SHIT, they removed Walter Lewin's lectures. fuck those stupid libcucks and their nonsense scandals

anyway here's other versions of physics I and II:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/

>>7794795
physics II is e&m at MIT
>>
>>7794802
WALTER LEWIN NEVER WORKED FOR MIT, WALTER LEWIN WAS NEVER AFFILIATED WITH MIT. PLEASE CONTINUE WITH YOUR DAY, CITIZEN.
>>
>>7794782
>but am wondering as to how much math I will need to know in order to understand them

For the ones in the picture you just need vector calc.

For more generalized versions you will need more advanced math.
>>
Aight thanks everyone I really appreacite the help
>>
>>7794782

Make sure to read Maxwell's actual original writings first, they are substantially different from what is taught in universities today.
>>
>>7794842
why the hell would you read maxwell's actual original writings?
>>
For the math you just need fluency in vector calculus and in manipulating derivatives/integrals for utilization. I would pick up a typical vector calc text or multivariable calculus book (depending on how you call them, there really isnt a difference). For the practicality and intuition you must go to an EM book such as Griffiths or any other undergraduate book to read up on their use, properties, intricacies, and for problems relating to them. Once you have managed to gain an understanding, you can try your hand at expanding your knowledge and moving on to the tensor form of Maxwell's equations. I know Griffiths has an ending chapter on these but many other tensor books and even general relativity books possess this info. If you do not have knowledge of vectors just yet, pick up "A Student's Guide to Vectors and Tensors" by Daniel Fleisch (he also has a book on these very equations).
>>
>>7794802
There's a thread on /t/ with all his lectures in case you still want them.
>>
>>7794847

Why wouldn't you? Don't you want to learn about physics? Or do you just want to pass your classes?
>>
>>7794842
Is this the quaternion conspiracy theory? Or are you saying his physical interpretation of the equations or other remarks were insightful?

I've only looked at it briefly, but at least the equations Maxwell wrote down were, up to trivial changes in notation, the same as the ones we use today. He even came up with the A, B, C, D, E, ... names for the vectors, most of which are still in use.
>>
>>7794885

Useful insight. I find it much more enlightening to read the writings of the greats than to read textbooks aimed at churning through exercises.
>>
>>7794885
>Is this the quaternion conspiracy theory?
What's that?
>>
>>7794908

The idea that Maxwell's original works were stepping stones to a unified theory of physics, and were re-written by Heaviside in a way that discards some useful and fundamental insights that could lead to new discoveries. Questionable.
>>
>>7794921
>Questionable

That's being generous.
>>
>>7794921
Dont forget that that gauge transformations are a conspiracy by the oil companies to make us build electric devices such that the electric and magnetic fields cancel each other out, using energy that we could have used. By using a non-symmetric gauge transformation you can build over unity devices, but Heaviside hid this from us.
>>
>>7795043
No one really believes this, right?
>>
>>7795049
People who believe in perpetual motion machines do.
>>
File: bearden.png (252KB, 1096x1307px) Image search: [Google]
bearden.png
252KB, 1096x1307px
>>7795049
They published 3 books full of papers totaling about 3000 pages called 'Modern Nonlinear Optics'
>>
>>7795155
Christ alive.
>>
>>7795155
Some more from tom
http://www.cheniere.org/
>Two Nobel prizes were awarded in 1957 to Lee and Yang for substantiating the extraction process for this energy
http://www.cheniere.org/misc/flaws_in_classical_em_theory.htm
>>
>>7794795
>H 282 - Physics for Science & Engineering II
Credit Hours: 4.5

A calculus-based introduction to electricity and magnetism. Topics include electric field, Gauss’s law, electric potential, capacitance, current and resistance, DC circuits, magnetic field, Faraday’s law, inductance, RC and RL circuits, EM oscillations, alternating currents, Maxwell’s equations and electromagnetic waves.

please b8 better like the guy that called pluto photo
>>
File: em.jpg (14KB, 247x346px) Image search: [Google]
em.jpg
14KB, 247x346px
>>7795187

Those of us that have been through university physics programs know the difference between general calculus based physics and pic related.
>>
>>7795155
wew lad
>>
>>7795155
kek

Fucking engineers man
>>
>>7795043
>The equations were rewritten in a way that they work waaah!

Do these people even understand where mathematical models come from? Do they think an equation can control reality just because you wrote it down.

>>7795155
Chirst, guess so.
>>
>>7797538
Actually Heaviside was the engineer and they are the ones keeping us tied to reality, mathematical physicists are the ones trying to turn physics into a cult.
>muh innate beauty!
>>
>>7796796
>Griffiths

Stop unironically posting that cancer.
>>
2+2+2= 222 Trips bb
>>
>>7797557
Bearden is an engineer though
>>
>>7794782
How can a theory this elegant be this much of a pain to study? It's boring and tedious.

.t person with EM exam coming up in 2 days
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.