[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do you get in life as a mathematician and with a degree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: Math_e41332_1607602.jpg (55KB, 731x461px) Image search: [Google]
Math_e41332_1607602.jpg
55KB, 731x461px
Where do you get in life as a mathematician and with a degree in mathematics? For those who have reached this level, where are you at in life and what are you doing?
>>
300k starting
>>
>>7794307
Pure mathematics grad here. I work as a software engineer in a private company. I do not use 'math' beyond arithmethic, algebra and algorithms but math is math.

Pay is good, job is mildly interesting, life is good.
>>
>>7794330
Any job you want?
>>
>>7794330
Where did that meme come from?
>>
>>7794334
From PhD in Mathematics like Terence Tao who earn 350k a year and from PhD in Actuarial Mathematics who earn around 300k.

However, getting to this point takes being a genius (like Tao) or investing a lot of time into academia and career growth (Actuary).
>>
>>7794307
Wrong place... /sci/ is full of engineers.
>>
>>7794339
where do I go?
>>
>>7794337
Except there is a big difference between starting salary and late carrier salary, and what the top 99......9th percentile makes. Also sauce on the actuary thing? That sounds really cool if true.
>>
>>7794351
Yeah. The 'starting' part is the exagerated bit. The idea is that mathematics is a degree that creates you many paths for success.

Anyways, payscale: http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Actuary/Salary

If you scroll down, you will find that Actuaries working for 'ACE Group' are paid nearly 200k.

The average is just 100k though.
>>
I'm a mathematician and my financial situation, which I credit entirely to my education, allowed me to retire at 42.
>>
>>7794307

I'm assuming you're referring to industry. A ton of jobs are available if you specialize in statistics such as actuarial. Pair it up with a hard science for modelling. Or go for a doctorate and become a financial quant.

All of these requires you to be actually good at both math and socializing, however. Industry ties deeply with social connections.
>>
>>7794375
Care to elaborate on that?
>>
>>7794383
Sure. Do you have a specific question?
>>
Learn a programing or database language, have a good GPA, and with a Bachelor's in Math you can get a decent 70k starting job.

Inb4 neckbeards with no social skills who do nothing to make their degree marketable.
>>
>>7794395
Okay.

>How far did you go regarding your mathematics education?
>What jobs did you do that were related to mathematics?
>How much were you earning before you retired?
>Why not keep going?
>>
>>7794307
cost = 1 + something
something = 0.5*cost = 0.5(1+something)
something = 1$
cost = 2$
>>
>>7794404
Fair enough.

I have a PhD in Applied Mathematics from a top university. I also picked up a M.S. in CS from the same university along the way.

For the first ten years or so after I left academia, I worked in private industry. I primarily worked in applications of machine learning. I also dabbled in some cryptography-related projects. My last few years were spent at a startup. I received a humble salary and a lot of stock options. The options became quite valuable.

Why not keep going? Good question. I made enough money to meet my needs for two lifetimes, so I retired. I sometimes do a bit of consulting, but only on my terms. Now I only work on projects that truly interest me. And I travel a lot...
>>
>>7794442
You seem stupid and are a poor writer.

You don't even start taking "real" math classes until after linear algebra because most of it before then is computation. So don't fall in love with math just yet
>>
>>7794447
english is not my first language i'm sorry
>>
>>7794442
>emotional trouble
>doesnt communicate well to others
>chooses 4chan to discuss feelings
You need help. This isnt normal. You also need to quit talking yourself down, it's self-fulfilling prophecy to always say "hate talking to ppl, everyone hates me etc".

I'm sure those people seemed "rude" to you because you were standoffish to them in the first place.
You're even standoffish in your post here asking for help.
>>
>>7794364
Which isn't that insane, engineers make the same. It's still really interesting though, I may consider it in a year. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>7794442
All I can say DO WHAT YOU NEED TO DOFORYOU! You can only rely on yourself. People will sure enough trip you as soon as you start progressing. You are your only advocate. Even I was going to put you down down then I realize you were like me and need to be told something. Only care about you and your immediate family.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.