[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does doing a maths/physics double major give any tangible advantage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 3d magnetic field.jpg (36KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
3d magnetic field.jpg
36KB, 1280x720px
Does doing a maths/physics double major give any tangible advantage over just physics? I've read that you encounter a concept in physics quite often before you learn the math to explain such a concept whereas with math/physics double you have already encountered the math to explain the fundamental theory behind the physics concepts as you find them. Is there any element of truth/legitimacy to this?
>>
do it if you want to dont if you dont
>>
>>7794192
I want to do it I'm just wondering if this claim is true and if so, to what extent?
>>
>>7794187
Not really. I feel like you encounter the math in physics before you see it in math(with the exception of vector calculus and ODEs). However, if you want to do grad physics, I would encourage math because you'll actually understand how the math works and can learn more complex math faster.
>>
>>7794193

it doesnt matter
>>
>>7794187
Hell yes. If you take a course in Differential Geometry or Smooth Manifolds before you take a course in GR, GR will be infinitely easier.
If you take a course in functional analysis before upper level QM, or even more so QFT, it will also be extremely helpful.

On a more advanced note, taking Abstract Algebra will really help you if you want to go into high-energy physics and/or theoretical particle physics so you can understand the group theoretic construction of the SM and how elementary particles correspond to irreducible representations of the respective lie group.
>>
>>7794187
>Not doing math/CS double major
>>
>>7794222
Fuck off
>>
>>7794245
>not fucking off himself
>2010+5
> i shiggy diggy
>>
>>7794187
Are you planning on getting your doctorate in physics or perhaps going to law school to become a patent attorney? If not, I would avoid physics altogether. Not much you can do with it in the real world with a BS in physics that will actually relate to your major.
>>
>>7794187
There is no point... Except for bragging rights.
>>
>>7794257
Not even engineering physics in which your degree is abet certified, the only thing that is useful about engineering degrees?
>>
>>7794278
I'm not familiar with enginnering physics degrees, but if you want to do engineering, you might as well get an engineering degree. You will learn much of the same physics, but you will be able to apply it and know what can be ignored in the real world. I have known many physics majors who have applied for engineering positions who were far smarter than me and failed to get the job while I had no problem getting an engineering job coming out of college with my mediocre grades in an engineering degree.
>>
>>7794187
I don't really think so, at least not at an undergraduate level. If you wanna go deeper into theoretical physics, then yes, more math lectures will be necessary. For the "elementary" stuff you learn it's not massively helpful though.
>>
>>7794187
Look up the video where Feynman explains how the mentality of a physicist is completely opposite from the mentality of a mathematician.

So doing that double major would be like being an atheist and getting a PhD in Theology. Enjoy getting schizophrenia in your early 20s.
>>
>>7794336
>Read as I´m in highschool and I F*cking love science.
>>
File: 1452822699007.jpg (8KB, 155x177px) Image search: [Google]
1452822699007.jpg
8KB, 155x177px
>>7794248
>2010+5
>>
>>7794210
this anon speaks the truth
>>
>>7794336
I know some theologicians and theyre all atheists
You can study religion without believing in it
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.