[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There must be a way to make this work. What could a person use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (27KB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 500x269px
There must be a way to make this work.

What could a person use to stop the water from pouring out?
>>
>>7790415
shaft seals require a specific amount of radial force to properly seal up
that force will be orders of magnitudes greater than whatever buoyant force the submerged balls can exert
>>
>>7790457
Are you saying it would work if you had a frictionless seal?
>>
File: kyjelly.jpg (135KB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
kyjelly.jpg
135KB, 1920x1920px
>>7790467
<- The solution to the energy crisis.
>>
>>7790415
>>7790467

It's not about friction, it's about pressure. The force needed to to push the ball into the tank from the bottom is greater than the total buoyancy of balls on the right + total weight of balls on the left. Specifically, it is equal to the weight of the column of water over the valve.
>>
>>7790415
Think about this smartass, if it were that simple, all the years and years of Ph.D.s and Professors would have thought of it. The fact that you found it instead of them, in that scenario, your finding would've been deserving of 2 nobel prizes.
>>
>>7790496
"The fact that someone else hasn't discovered it instantly disproves your theory"
Not OP, and the pictures retarded, but come on
>>
>>7790457
How about this? No shaft seal, just a glass cylinder going into the tank which has a very very slightly larger diameter than the balls, also reduce the length of the string connecting the balls.
>>
File: PicsArt_1453043279509.jpg (29KB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_1453043279509.jpg
29KB, 500x269px
You lack imagination OP
>inb4 9000 replies saying this won't work
>>
File: 569bad16012a5.png (64KB, 808x557px) Image search: [Google]
569bad16012a5.png
64KB, 808x557px
>>7790512
>>
>>7790476
>The force needed to to push the ball into the tank [...] is equal to the weight of the column of water over the valve
you're completely mixing up pressure, force and weight in your post

>>7790512
>a very very slightly larger diameter than the balls
that's not how sealing things up work, let alone with this whole system being submerged and pressurized by the water column above
>>
>trying to make anal beads produce electricity
>>
>>7790541
>you're completely mixing up pressure, force and weight in your post

No I'm really not. Pressure is just force per area. Weight is just force exerted by gravity. The sentence you quoted is 100% correct.
>>
>>7790540
>muh adiabatic compression
>>
>>7790415
Delta-P simply won't allow it.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pflu.html

https://www.easycalculation.com/physics/classical-physics/differential-pressure.php
>>
>>7790529
I'll bite:
Why would the water not instantly try to get into equilibrium? What keeps the water from going up on the left side?
>>
>>7790415
>There must be a way to make this work.
Your contraption does not depend on the number of balls, right? Simply replace them all with a closed flexible air-filled tube (makes sealing much easier). Would you still expect it to work?
>>
>>7790810
>What keeps the water from going up on the left side?
Magnets of course.
>>
>>7790579
It makes your mom produce more electricity than normal once I pull them out.
>>
Here's an idea. Pay one poor soul to just sit there for several hours a day, letting the water pour out a little bit in a bucket underneath each time the hole opens up before the next ball comes up, and the guy just picks the bucket up, and dumps the water back in at the top? Give me my nobel.
>>
>>7793605
Even better, why not just pay a whole warehouse full of people to ride on stationary bikes to provide energy. Each worker rides for an hour at a time, then gets a break afterwards, then comes back for another hour. Schedules are arranged in such a way that the energy flow never stops. Little movie screens with tv shows and shit on them for the workers to watch while they work. Arm machines that can be used too. Workers get in great shape while getting paid.

In fact, we could just equip all the gyms in the world with weight machines linked to creating energy for their town. You get in shape and you help out your community. There'd be a little readout on the side telling you how many carbs you lost, and how much energy you just created for the town.

Wow.
>>
>>7793613

I got a great business idea: a specialized gym that markets to fat people

On the top floor of the building fatasses would pay money for spinning class memberships. The stationary bikes would run generators to create electricity to cover the lights, heat, AC and run the deep fryers in the burger bar downstairs which I would own as well. Vents from the restaurant would be routed to the changerooms. Fatasses would have to pass by the restaurant every time they come in and out of the gym and won't be able to resist the delicious burgers. The burgers will keep them fat and they will need to keep going to the gym.

Pure profit from perpetual energy
>>
>>7790415
I thought I was on /sci/.
Does no one here know what physics is.
You recognize that the balls would flow from high pressure to low pressure, but you ignore the fact that the same amount of energy is required to get the ball for low pressure (air) into the water at the high pressure point.
>>
>>7793703

>thought you were on /sci/

you must be new because this is exactly what I expect from /sci/
>>
>>7790625
>The sentence you quoted is 100% correct.
>"force needed is equal to weight of water column"
a force never equals a weight, period
just because you multiplied the projected area with the pressure exerted by the water column to get a force in your head doesn't mean that you can omit it in writing when trying to explain someone else the concept of it
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.