[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Confidence interval bullshit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: formula.gif (8KB, 700x374px) Image search: [Google]
formula.gif
8KB, 700x374px
Let's assume I have a relatively large sample (500) from an unknown distribution. I can calculate sample mean and variance, can I calculate confidence intervals for them? I've googled and found that because of the central limit theorem it should somehow work out for the mean (what distribution would I use in the formula tho? Normal? T?)
What about variance?
Pls help?

Also stats thread or whatever.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_limit_theorem

First. Fucking. Sentence.
>>
>>7788853
kek.

I think you misunderstand the meaning of the CLT.
>>
>>7788853
Relax, if I understood everything I've read I wouldn't post here, would I? I'm shit at stats (and don't really understand confidence intervals), so I was hoping someone could explain this to me. Clearly, you're not the person for the job?

>In probability theory, the central limit theorem (CLT) states that, given certain conditions, the arithmetic mean of a sufficiently large number of iterates of independent random variables, each with a well-defined expected value and well-defined variance, will be approximately normally distributed, regardless of the underlying distribution

Okay, so how does that answer my question? From this I can learn that the average value is approximately normal if I have a large enough sample. Is that sufficient enough reason to use the z table? What about variance/standard deviation?
>>
>>7788773
students t distribution?
>>
>>7788889
Your problem, as you already realize, is that you know nothing about the distribution of the population from which your sample has been selected. Google bootstrapping. You're welcome...
>>
>>7788889
>Is that sufficient enough reason to use the z table

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution

First two paragraphs.

Step your game up senpai.
>>
>>7788899
For the variance/deviation? Why not chi square?
>>
Why does everyone here always kick up dust when they can't answer simple questions succinctly? Even if you knew what you're talking about, you're not going to impress some beginner who can't even into CIs with nuanced arguments about assumptions...

Use a t-test because you don't know the population standard deviation.
>>
>>7788946
>t-test
Fucking thank you. You mean Student's t distribution, not t-test (I don't want to test hypotheses), I presume?
Am I to assume these formulas I've found are incorrect?
>>
God I hate statistics. So fucking boring! Thank God I don't have to deal with that shit anymore. Thanks for bringing back the memories and ruining my mood OP!
>>
>>7788993
Misery loves company.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.