[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1452958318351.png (451KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1452958318351.png
451KB, 1080x1920px
this is just a meme right?

Some sort of joke that mathematicians tell eachother and have a great time when people act like they've understood it, right? RIGHT?
>>
>cant comprehend basic probabilities
>>
Suppose there are 1000 doors
The host opens all but two and the one you selected
Do you switch?
Now reduce the number of total doors to three
>>
>>7788333
They did a MythBusters episode on this, apparently it actually works.
>>
>>7788333
I have one of the easiest explanations:
If you guess right the first time, you have to stay to your choice to get the right door.
If you guessed wrong, you have to switch.
Basic probability says:
1/3 times you are right from the first time.
So 1/3 times you need to stay, 2/3 times you need to switch. So: switch to get it 66% of the times correct.
>>
File: 1449820269820.png (85KB, 299x287px) Image search: [Google]
1449820269820.png
85KB, 299x287px
>>7788355
Oh shit, I think you actully just made me get this thing. It's been tormenting me since Twilight.
>>
>>7788361
>Running a physical experiment to 'prove' a trivially provable mathematical fact
Fucking normies bring the quality of the show down, no wonder it's ending
>>
>>7788948
It was never oh high quality.
>>
>>7788355
Wrong analogy. In the 1000 door scenario the host opens only 1 door.
>>
>>7788954
no
>>
>>7788388
If you're having trouble explaining to people just increase the number of doors and they give up on there intuition.

Nobody is going to say stick when there are a 1000 doors initially and the host opens 998 other doors.

Or at least if you did you're probably stupid enough to warrant scientific investigation.
>>
>>7788333
There are 3 doors
If the door you chose didn't have a Goat, then the other 2 doors has goats behind them and the one you chose has the car.
You wouldn't change doors, you chose the car.
Its pretty simple
>>
>>7788333
Think about it, when the host opens door 3 instead of door 2 he gives you the information that there it is less probable that door 2 hides a goat.
>>
Probability is a meme.
>>
Everyone claims their explanation is the easiest, but anyway here is mine.

The crucial fact is that the host cannot reveal the door that you have already chose.

All other doors had an equal chance of being revealed, while the initial pick had not.
>>
It's also possible to write simple programs that numerically demonstrate the fact that switching is better.
>>
It's ez. Consider the following:
Pick door 1 chance of winning is 1/3
Pick door 2 and 3 chance of winning is 2/3.

I don't see how you cannot understand. Picking 2 doors is always better than picking one.
>>
>>7790825
Follow up, I presume it's because most people assume the chance after a door opens becomes 1/2 of the car being behind a door, while in reality it stays 1/3 for door one, and by switching you gain a 2/3 chance.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.