[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does pain stop us from doing things? Why is it a *must* that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: 1448311967192.jpg (62KB, 262x570px) Image search: [Google]
1448311967192.jpg
62KB, 262x570px
Why does pain stop us from doing things?
Why is it a *must* that we survive? What is the final purpose of reproduction?
>>
pain indicates that body is recieving damage, and as a survival defense mechanism it pushes you away from the thing that hurts you.
>>
>>7788135
Pain is pleasure
>>
>>7788135
>Why is it a *must* that we survive?
It's not. In fact one day you will stop doing it.

>What is the final purpose of reproduction?
Nature doesn't have purposes. It doesn't have a mind.
>>
>>7788135
There is no final purpose of reproduction. I don't even get the question. There is no main purpose to anything in life besides spreading your genes.
>>
>>7788141
Why though? Why do we take life, and fight for it? Not metaphorically but biologically

>>7788200
For what reason
>>
>>7788135
The purpose of reproduction is to reproduce.
/thread
>>
>>7788135
Because only the organisms that have mechanisms allowing them to live long enough to reproduce get to reproduce, transmitting these mechanisms to their offspring, and so on.

Thoso born without the need to live and to reproduce don't do these things.
>>
File: basicbitch.gif (845KB, 500x352px) Image search: [Google]
basicbitch.gif
845KB, 500x352px
>>7788298
Stop looking for meaning in a meaningless 'creator-less' (probably) universe, I think you'd probably fit in more on /his/terectomy, so would this thread.
>>
File: John.jpg (43KB, 483x343px) Image search: [Google]
John.jpg
43KB, 483x343px
>>7788298
It's an inbuilt urge. We don't have much control over instincts, we're just born that way. The beings who didn't have survival instincts are all dead now, so the only ones left are the ones who are willing to survive.
>>
>>7788298
>Why though? Why do we take life, and fight for it? Not metaphorically but biologically
The simplest explanation is because your body is made that way. What part of that don't you get?
>>
>>7788135
Holy shit is that Keiko. I just noticed
>>
Entropy.
>>
>>7788317
Meaningless? So limited to even our own galaxy, and you've got the balls do deem an entire universe as meaningless ??

You're toxic.

>>7788318
That makes sense. There are only survivors because they survived, duh.

I wonder why we hunt other surviving organisms though. Such as carnivore and herbivore.

You could say plants are organisms too, but they have a different genetic makeup.

Do we just eat whatever's around and develop a taste for it over the years?
>>
>>7788363
What drugs are you on?
>>
>>7788363
>I wonder why we hunt other surviving organisms though. Such as carnivore and herbivore.
To eat them.

You really do sound like a 5 year old asking stupid questions for the sake of it, though.
>>
>>7788365
Drugs are for the weak-willed individuals. It's called being high on life.
>>
>>7788367
>You really do sound like a 5 year old asking stupid questions for the sake of it, though.

IMO he sounds like almost everyone who isn't STEM oriented. But hey at least he is trying to learn something, unlike some people who are too afraid to ask questions
>>
>>7788363
Universe is uniform you brainlet, so if this galaxy doesn't have meaning, chances are nor does the universe.
>>
>>7788298
Things either propagate or not. If they propagate then more will exist. If they do not propagate then less will exist. The reason we strive to survive is because if we did not we wouldn't exist in the first place.
>>
File: 265-1-1447357896.png (1MB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
265-1-1447357896.png
1MB, 1200x675px
>>7788367
There are no such things as dumb questions.
Don't ever play yourself.

>>7788380
How does one become STEM oriented? I'm going into CompSci next year and this is crucial

>>7788383
What do you mean by there's no meaning
>>
>>7788135
>Why does pain stop us from doing things?
Because those who didn't stop didn't reproduce.
>>
>>7788422
> What do you mean by there's no meaning
What do you think I mean? There is no 'meaning', I don't understand why you think there must be a meaning for everything. A cup of coffee falls off of a table because of gravity, not because of some deep spiritual meaning. This is the same for life, we just exist, deal with it.
>>
>>7788422
>How does one become STEM oriented?
Be persistent in asking questions. Everything else will follow.
>>
>>7788422
lemme inspire u
>>
>>7788135
It triggers mental responses that inhibit working memory, awareness, theory of mind, and more direct and meaningful social connection. You grow to fear failure, and the absence of a negative is judged to be better than the potential for a positive.

That's just the tip of the iceberg with chronic pain, but it all builds on itself and unless you outright die inside or do some psychological fucking about, you don't tend to seek out new experiences or relationships with qts. You just want to be left alone.

It's not. Things come, things go, species included. Humans are partly wired to treat it as a must. But apathy disengages that pretty quickly, I've been to places where if I had a kill switch that would immediately get rid of every single one of us, myself included, with no meaningful collateral damage, I might have seriously pressed it. Deep down, part of me really doesn't like other people, and I don't really like myself. It's a tenuous relationship.

Purpose is a human idea. The universe, and ourselves, might very well have a purpose. But it's not anything you or anyone else here knows, or ever probably will know. Useless questions.
>>
>>7788435
That was a bit of a cheeky joke I'll admit lol.
--But everything, even at rest has some cause-and-effect to things in their environment or outside. Regardless just as their was a cause to it's presence there will be an effect in their end.

How did gravity break the cup?

You see what I mean? What does it mean for gravity to have broken a cup, was it JUST gravity? What were the conditions? Height? Hard floor?

Not spiritual at all.
>>
>>7788435
>This is the same for life, we just exist, deal with it.
>deal with it.
That is where the problem lies. From neuroscience we know that brain likes to be in the center. He is the main actor in this movie called life and everything has to have a meaning from his POV. IIRC its helpful in the survival of the organism which is why it has remained embedded. It's kind of a small biological limitation that we have to get through that says that everything has to have a meaning, even though it's not really so. It simply takes time for some people to "deal with it". Or software had evolved but we are still running on the same outdated platform
>>
>>7788463
I have no idea why some people struggle with the basic idea that meaning is self created, and self maintained. Sometimes the mean for you to inter[ret meaning are shared, or generated elsewhere and pushed on you, but nonetheless the brain itself is creating, it is not discovering or searching.

Stupid. I don't know why people are so deficient.
>>
>>7788463
I certainly don't see myself as the center of the universe or any protagonist for that matter.
If anything when I see an event I often wonder how it'll effect an unrelated event later, unseen by me.
>>
>>7788474
You know how older people don't like messing with computers a lot because they fear they are going to break something? The same could be said about people that can't accept something that at first glance seems like a foreign concept to their brain. Basically it's the fear of the unknown. What would happen if I pushed this button kind of thing. Sorry if I don't make much more sense and I hope you understand me, cause I seem to be losing my focus and can't express myself clearly. Damn you overworked brain
>>
>>7788458
I get your point, but there is no meaning, as everyone else has said. This concept of meaning, of 'purpose' is self created. We are, we exist and we do. That is all.
>>
>>7788484
>I certainly don't see myself as the center of the universe or any protagonist for that matter.
There is no shame in it since you don't have a choice in the matter at first. It used to be a useful thing to survival so your brain has kept that add-on. Of course it doesn't have to dictate your every decision and though and with tone you will learn to do and think things desires that outdated instinct, like we learned to ignore some other instincts of ours. It just takes time.
>>
>>7788501
And with tone you will learn to do and think things desires that outdated instinct,
Jesbus muh atrocious spelling.
With time* you will learn to do and think things despite* that outdated instinct
>>
>>7788501
No, really. I do it for social reasons, more than scientific. Helps in being more fair.
Fundamental distribution error just applied elsewhere.
>>
File: entropy.jpg (244KB, 544x493px) Image search: [Google]
entropy.jpg
244KB, 544x493px
>>7788135
To increase our chances of survival
So that we can reproduce
Ok now we're getting somewhere

>>7788340
>Entropy
In 2nd year Biochemistry this was briefly discussed, with a very interesting sidenote:
we observe in the inorganic world moving towards disorder; however biological systems act contrary to this.
This incorporates obviously the system of an individual organism, which interacts from it's niche with it's biota, which in turn interact with others to make up the biosphere as a whole.

>>7788363
>I wonder why we hunt other surviving organisms though. Such as carnivore and herbivore.
Carnivores exist to keep herbivore numbers in check. If you start at the 'top' of the cladistic tree and work backwards through the history of evolution, it becomes evident that the emergence of new species, and even as far as new kingdoms, came about to bring balance to the system as a whole by filling very specific niches.
eg. carnivores keep herbivore numbers in check for the sake of the plant species.
eg.herbivores help plants spread seeds, provide a fertile medium for seeds (dung) etc
eg.(skipping along quite a bit) plants through photosynthesis provided balance to the respiration of the existing bacteria.
>>7788383
>Universe is uniform
Well, yes and no.
On the macro level it seems to be, but on smaller scales there is much variation.
Back to my point about entropy, things move towards disorder as energy disperses throughout the system. But here on earth we recieve energy from the sun constantly (see enthalpy). Once the sun dies out that will obviously change.
As for the universe, well that depends on which model you take into consideration.
>eg.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbruPR3o0Zc
That was long-winded, but I just woke up.
>>
>>7788298
>Why though? Why do we take life, and fight for it? Not metaphorically but biologically
Think about it: if an animal doesn't have a sense of pain it wont avoid dangerous situations and thus is far more likely to die and far less likely to reproduce and far less likely to pass on the genes for not feeling pain.
>>
>>7788602
>we observe in the inorganic world moving towards disorder; however biological systems act contrary to this.

Could you elaborate?
>>
>>7788298
Because evolution ya doofus. There wouldn't be living things right now if they didn't have the innate programming to protect themselves.
>>
>>7788298
There is no why or why not you fucking dumb ass. You're looking at it from a certain preconceived lens. Stop it.

Things are the way they are because they are.
>>
>>7788298
>why

That's a philosophical question, not a scientific one. Tbh.
>>
>>7788646
This is idiotic. There is a reason for everything. Self referential truths are to be noted as such before you move on. In this case you're a lazy prick who doesn't care to know how anything works, so you've taken things you can resolve further as self referential and stopped trying.

Ignore this poisonous lazy frightened man's mentality. His truth comes from self delusion.
>>
>>7788655
>There is a reason for everything

Reason isn't the same as reason. The reason we're here is because our fathers, grandfathers and great-grandfathers didn't die. There's absolutely no meaning behind it.

Meaning is a intent to communicate a thought or idea without directly expressing it, which implies that another completely different being "meant" for us to be? That's backwards thinking.
>>
>>7788661
Reason isn't the same as meaning*
>>
Since we're asking impossible questions here: Do you guys think that the hierarchy of complexity stretches on infinitely in both the positive and negative direction? Could we even determine this? I know that since we are organisms we are only capable of so much but it's interesting to think about.
>>
>>7788661
>There's absolutely no meaning behind it.
There is if you think there is, there isn't if you don't.

That more or less says it all. You're injecting unnecessary elements into the conversation.
>>
>>7788633
Could you elaborate?
I'll try, but it's been 15 years since I studied this.

In the inorganic world things move towards disorder (or higher entropy). They disperse essentially.
In an organism things move towards order. We eat, drink and our bodies assemble rather than disperse matter. That is until we die.
It's a bit simplifyed, as when we die we provide nutrients to other species in the food chain, but thats where we start to look at the ecosystem as a whole, which seems to act in the same way, or at least a balance between order and disorder with a dynamic equilibrium.
>>
>>7788680
>>7788680
>You're injecting unnecessary elements into the conversation.
>Is asking why things are

I don't know what to tell you. You seem extremely confused.
>>
>>7788663
>Do you guys think that the hierarchy of complexity stretches on infinitely in both the positive and negative direction?

As I explained here:
>>7788602
and here
>>7788722
...complexity (if I'm understanding your use of the term correctly) is a result of lower entropy, and thus a function the energy contained within.
If the universe is expanding the energy is becoming less concentrated (law of conservation of energy) it is becoming less complex.
As for negative complexity, I don't that's a thing-or at least I can't wrap my mind around it.

That said, we just don't enough to be absolutely certain. While on the whole it sounds right, it presupposes that there is a limit on variation. If there is no limit to variation within the whole then infinite complexity is a possibility.
Is this a paradox?
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.