[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Analysis of neural spike data

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: fnins-05-00009-g004.jpg (250KB, 708x635px) Image search: [Google]
fnins-05-00009-g004.jpg
250KB, 708x635px
I have been recording from neurons processing olfactory information in mice.

How should I analyze my single cell neuronal spike data? Anyone working with spike analysis and possibly would suggest some literature?

pic not directly related
>>
sorry to highjack your thread, but you seem to have a neuroscience background (which i find pretty interesting). is it currently possible to selectively and reversibly "switch off" specific brain functions like seeing or hearing in lab-animals?
>>
>>7787606
Fairly sure that counts as cruelty.
>>
>>7787606
>>7787615
Not to mention, that would differ in animals, so be more specific.
>>
>>7787615
>>7787618
yes, it would count as cruelty, of course. but i'm just asking if this is generally possible by current means. and to be more specific, is it possibe to temporarily make a mouse go deaf by influencing the brain areas responsible for the hearing-process?
>>
>>7787650
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_brain_stimulation
>>
>>7787606
OP here. To some extent, yes as >>7787655 have linked. In mice and insects like for instance drosophila (fruit fly) optogenetics is widely used, inwhich one can use light to inactivate or active specific neurons (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optogenetics). While optogenetic stimulation requires inserting a light into the brain to excite the light-responsive receptors, a more recent approach is the use of ultrasound as a non-invasive technique. However this requires more studies (google sonogenetics).
>>
>>7787665
>sonogenetics
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/sep/15/sonogenetics-allows-brain-cells-to-be-controlled-by-sound-waves
>Dumb mainstream media
>>
>>7787671
Thanks, I don't know what Im looking for myself. Fairly new to the field, and just interested to see what spike data analysis includes basically.
>>
>>7787684

sorry I was ashamed of my post so I deleted it, because I did not read the 'single cell' part

may I ask how you stimulate and record stimulation of the cells?
>>
>>7787721
The stimulation is controlled by a data-acquistion program (spike 2), which result in blowing an odourant toward the animal. The stimulus is thus stored as an event in the recording, and can be compared to the recorded neuronal spike train from the cell to see how the particular odorant alter the activity.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.