[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

US vs UK

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (13KB, 172x232px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 172x232px
What the fuck is wrong with the US education system?
>every school having different standards of GPA
>taking some shitty multiple choice test to decide where you'll be
>can take as many as possible, rewarding people who can go for tuition and spam tests like nobody's business
>people with no money fuckin just lose out
Unlike the UK,
Where
>A levels always test what you learn in school
>open ended questions show actual competancy instead of "maybe its C", "oh i run out of time on ACT let's just spam C for the rest of the questions"
>Has actual experimental component in Physical science exams, e.g. Science Practical Exams, which test your experimental and analytical skills as well as theory
>Overall actually rewards people who gives a shit and studies instead of muh IQ and also less muh private tuition
Would like to hear what you guys think
Glad i went into a UK university instead
>>
>>7787205
we're no longer a colony. We don't care.
>>
>people with no money fuckin just lose out

Reagan's America is a delusional meritocracy full of victim blaming shitheads that unironically believe pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is possible.

Literally a satanic country, not the good kind either.
>>
>>7787205
US uni admissions are almost pridefully antimeritocratic. Standardized tests aren't as influential or as useless as you think, though. The SAT is a fairly good measure of reasoning ability, and many schools here are now "test-optional."

The issue of grades is where it really fucks up big. Especially in humanities classes. Look at an IB english rubric. Take time to really appreciate the level of ambiguity and amount of "professional discretion" assessing someone's work takes. Now imagine none of your papers are eternally moderated, that your one teacher is the first and final authority on what you score, and that the rubric itself has been replaced with one -the teacher wrote herself- to include as much discretionary power as possible so she may block students with whom she disagrees or ones she dislikes from top universities with artificially low grades and give out artificially high grades to students she likes, agrees with, or is successfully manipulated by. You have imagined American high school.

I shit you not, I even got this treatment in math. One test question asked to find lim x->0 of sin(x), so I wrote "sine is continuous on R. By the def. of continuity, lim x->0 sin(x)=sin(0)=0" and got no points. Turns out I "hadn't shown my work" because his markscheme explicitly said I had to say sin(x) "gets closer and closer to 0 as x gets closer and closer to zero." Which, call me crazy, seems precisely a verbal restatement of the equality I wrote down after my actual fucking argument. And yes, I raised the issue very respectfully with him. He gave me the runaround for a good fifteen minutes and made it clear he wouldn't correct my score. There were about a hundred of these landmines throughout the course, and he was much more sympathetic when they hit certain people.

Now you fill me in on how UK uni admissions, offers, predicted scores, etc work. Is whether you get a spot just based on your A-level results, are there other (exploitable) factors?
>>
>>7787744
>1 university
>Marking 1 exam
>no one, no teacher has any authority in the grade you're gonna get, just in charge of collecting and sending test papers
You tell me
>>
>>7787205
I'm British, I have a degree from an English university. I am now studying in America, I think America has a better education system. Fuck... off.
>>
>>7787760
>Got a degree
>Could not immediately get a 6 figure job
>Went to America

Sounds about right. Since the beginning of time, we have been sending the retards and the scum to the traitorland.
>>
File: 195.png (10KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
195.png
10KB, 300x100px
Thinly veiled shitflinging thread?
>>
>>7787763
>More pay in America
>More money back for degree
>Happily left
Nice being in denial, heh?
>>
>>7787774
>More pay in America
Hand in hand with higher costs for literally everything, including education.

>Nice being in denial, heh?
I'm happing looking at a retard who thinks that if the numbers are getting bigger in his pay check, he is earning more. If that is your logic then why don't you go to Zibabwe and earn a salary of one trillion trillion dollars huh?
>>
>>7787777
Nice quads
You know he's right
pounds>USD
>>
>>7787777
>More expenses
Not enough to mean I would end up with anywhere near the same amount, I would get FAR more in America.

>Comparing Zibabwe with America
I'm the retard? Kek
>>
>>7787744
You think that's bad my friend.
In highschool accounting we were doing an open book test and there was a definition question. So I went to the page and jotted down the definition word for word. Bitch marked me wrong. When I got it back I went to her and asked her which book I should be using instead, because this book says the definition is <whatever> and I copied it word for word. She gave me the marks.
>>
>>7787774
>>7787777
>>7787779
>>7787781
>Did medical degree
>Aiming to be cardiothoracic surgeon
>Pay in UK:"Doctors in the specialty doctor grade (which would include surgeons) earn between £37,176 and £69,325. Consultant surgeons can earn a basic salary of between £75,249 and £101,451 per year, dependent on length of service."
>Pay in US: "a range usually between $342,901-$536,141"
Gosh yeah, I'll be 'broke' compared to if I worked in the same profession in England/Britain.
>>
>>7787788
>£240,522-£376,067 (USA) compared to 37,176-£69,325 (UK) or £75,249-£101,451 (UK)
Just thought I'd like to convert it to prove my point a little more.
>>
>>7787791
Who's gonna hire a fuckin foreigner?
>>
>>7787810
>implying whites don't blend in with controlling WASP/Jewish upper class
Riiiiight, I'm not a fucking Mexican.
>>
>>7787813
Are you seeing what you are typing?
>>
>>7787810
If they good English and are well respected anyone. America isn't as xenophobic as you think. Only the shitty half of the country is.
>>
>>7787813
>>7787817
>Is already of White Anglo-Saxon origin
>has nicely clipped English accent
>applying to jobs with bosses who are also WASP
I don't see the problem?
>>
>>7787821
I've heard how UK people talk, it gives me cancer.
>>
>>7787824
Likewise, but I can't help my accent, my classist grandparents raised me. :(
>>
>>7787754
I mean, tell me specifically what the process is over there for sitting A-levels and applying to universities. I'm curious.
>>
File: the shiznat.jpg (956KB, 616x5370px) Image search: [Google]
the shiznat.jpg
956KB, 616x5370px
the source of all our plight can all be traced back to....Niggers.
>>
>>7787958
> stormfront propoganda

also, remind me where the majority of top universities are located?
>>
>>7787964
> White genocide propaganda
Stay in jail if you love them so much
>>
>>7787947
Use the UCAS to apply schools
Get A levels first
rule of thumb: you can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge at the same time which is quite dumb
>>
File: 1452804825954.png (133KB, 279x316px) Image search: [Google]
1452804825954.png
133KB, 279x316px
>>7787958

>implying your ancestors aren't to blame

Just like how Blacks need to be blaming their ancestors for promoting slavery within their own countries.

Whites need to blame their ancestors for being lazy, greedy shits for bringing blacks to America for cheap labor.

Once again our greatest enemy is not others but ourselves, once you can accept that then you will be closer to personal peace.
>>
>>7787983
> schools, factories, hospitals, instutitions, research programs, facilities
look at all those accomplished by the evil whites. but i'm glad we had slaves around, what would we do without all the cotton...
>>
>>7787987

Doesn't excuse the fact that whites only have themselves to blame for this.

No amount of mental gymnastics can change this fact.
>>
>>7787995
blame for what exactly ?
>>
>>7787995
The white guilt is strong with this one.
>>
>>7787205
Did you go to Oxford or Cambridge? No? Then shut the fuck up because your school is worse than American schools.
>>
>>7787744
I would give you half a point for not proving that sin(x) is continuous on R.
>>
A-Levels are shit and so is our education system. Its entirely based around learning facts rather than the actual ways of thinking to derive those facts. England is probably the most anti-intellectual, do-everything-your-told place on the planet.
>>
>>7788059
Butthurt and assumption is strong with this one
>>
>>7787744
(I hope this isn't too patronising) Basically just
>Study ~10-12 GCSEs in Year 10-11 (about 60% are mandatory subjects like English, Maths, Science)
>If you did well, go into Sixth Form. If not go to a college, which is not at all the same as the US meaning, or some other vocational training (as of 2013 IIRC you have to be in some sort of education or training until 18)
>Study 4 or 5 AS levels (half an A Level)
>Get results from those
>Often people drop 1 AS Level here, continue studying 3/4 A2 levels (second half of an A Level)
>Apply to up to 5 unis before you get your results (this is done with a system called UCAS)
Here's the main bit:
>Uni will judge you based on your GCSEs (to some extent), AS results, predicted A2 results, personal statement and sometimes interviews at the university on applicant days
>Each uni may make you an offer. These are usually conditional based on your A2 results, sometimes pleb unis offer unconditional offers if you put them as your first choice
>Select a firm offer and an insurance offer
>Wait for results day
>If you fucked up, you can go through 'clearance' and find places in shit-tier unis, or re-take a year, do a gap year, etc.
>>
>>7787744

>IB English
>designed to test proficiency in writing, literary analysis, and appreciation of literary works
>hurr the rubric should be black and white and multiple choice questions only

please. you're what's wrong with the US's treatment of the humanities. Sorry if you think it's subjective, but it's a fucking literature course
>>
>>7788144
Forgot to add that many high-tier unis require passing tests such as STEP, an advanced maths test (more advanced than Further Maths (an A Level)) with several levels. It's also a much less formulaic test than standard maths exams. Getting into Oxbridge for physics or maths requires passing STEP3 IIRC
>>
>>7788150
Fuck step, i'll take A levels
>>
>>7788071
Bear in mind this was cookbook calculus in high school. All "use integration by parts to find an antiderivative of x*e^x" and no "show that Γ(n+1)=n! for all nonnegative integers n." It didn't treat exp, log or the trig functions in any remotely analytic way. Honestly I'd have put some shit down like the easy series convergence argument on (-1,1) if I thought it remotely necessary. It was also like the third week.

My point is that the "justification" he penalized me for not having was neither justification nor absent from my work.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.