[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have sites like khanacademy, veritasium, minutephysics, vsauce

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

File: einstein.jpg (54KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
einstein.jpg
54KB, 640x425px
Have sites like khanacademy, veritasium, minutephysics, vsauce and movies like The Martian etc oversaturated all the STEM fields with hurr durr science wannabes who'll (lets be honest here) never work in a STEM field anyway?
>>
>>7785197
Khanacademy is just a resource for education, like a book. Retards could always pick up books so nothing is being changed.

The rest you list is simple entertainment. No one watches the martian and then thinks he wants to be a botanist. At least I hope so.
>>
>>7785197

Does it matter? They're going to get weeded out by their second year.
>>
>>7785197
>>7785201
Veritasium, MinutePhysics and Vsauce are good for a few things, getting the gist (in layman's terms), teaching children and entertainment. Anyone who is serious about learning a STEM related subject should then go on to do proper research, or enroll with an academic institution.
>>
>>7785197

Have boards like /sci/ created a place for neckbeard losers to say things they'd never have the balls to say in public?
>>
>>7785231

I also really liked KhanAcademy when I just wanted to get an introduction to economics/finance. It turns out that's the field he works in. So, they may be higher quality than the other topics.
>>
>>7785197

Have boards like /sci/ created a space for people, that have achieved nothing themselves, to feel superior to others?
>>
>>7785241
Being more intelligent than an impressive percentage of the population... I would consider that an achievement.
>>
>>7785233
>>7785241
>Talks shit about /sci/ posters
>Posting on /sci/

I will never get this attitude.
>Everyone here is such a retard! E-except for me! I am just here to tell you how retarded you are!

It is also ironic because by posting this, you want to show that you are superior to other /sci/ posters, meaning that the only person you are complaining about is yourself.
>>
>>7785234

He has a degrees from MIT up to masters level in ele eng, mathematics, and comp sci. High level speciality vids in biology, for example, are done by people in that field.
>>
>>7785234
Which is why entry points like these are actually important, they help to educate and decrease ignorance (hopefully).
>>
>>7785244

No, I'm just not an asshole and don't need to mock others to make myself feel better, like most of you do.
>>
>>7785247
You are mocking other /sci/ posters by saying they are all egotistical assholes but you are not.

Why does it bother you anyways? You do know that everything said here is ironic right?
>>
>>7785243

Lmao. An achievement implies you've done something to earn it. Popping out of the correct vagina is just luck. Is inheriting 10 million dollars also an achievement? Grow up child.
>>
>>7785250

You need to taste some of your own medicine. If it were up to me, I'd have a boxer punch most of you full force in the face. It'll do wonders for your character.
>>
>>7785261
>I'd have a boxer punch most of you

For fuck's sake man who buttraped your wife? I cannot logically explain why someone would be so butthurt at some anonymous people.
>>
>>7785257
I was talking about the /si/ board in general, many of us are clearly intelligent. Unlike you, I'm not being a self-centered narcissistic taenia solium for all of your merger life.
>>
>>7785264
>>7785261
Trying to dominate someone over the internet is fine, but not over a medium that leaves us anonymous. That is like threatening your imaginary friend.
>>
>>7785265
>I was talking about the /si/ board in general, many of us are clearly intelligent.
Yes, this cesspool of egotistical undergrads is really the pinnacle of human intelligence.

It's a clear sign of intelligence when you spend all day posting IQ threads and other stupid shit on a Japanese anime forum.
>>
>>7785197
I have never understood why people could possibly oppose the popularization of STEM fields through content like youtube videos. If it leads to a more widespread better understanding of science, why not? Quit with the hipster attitude already
>>
>>7785273
I'm glad you agree. ;)
>>
>>7785279

Muh elitism. Nerds want to feel special.
>>
>>7785265
> /si/
xD
>>
>>7785264

Getting punched in the face will be a positive experience for most you. Not initially, of course.
>>
>>7785273
>Anime

I'm almost sure that anime increases IQ and intelligence in general. I remember my teenage years when I was a really fucking retard at everything. Then I started watching anime and for a couple of years I was a fucking weeb, talking pseudo-japanese and watching anime all day and once I grew out of it I was all of a sudden really good at mathematics.

I think that this is the mechanism:
You start watching anime
It makes you really fucking autistic, so you get the kind of IQ boost that people with autism have
Then when you grow out of it you stop being autistic but you keep the high IQ.

That is why I know 50% of the people in 4chan are autistic and the other 50% are ex-autists like that me that now have >130 IQs and are also really smart in general.
>>
>>7785288

Lmfao.

>he says this seriously

You've not stopped being a retard, you've just deluded yourself into believing you're no longer an retard.
>>
>>7785273
I'd actually like to note, we as a board talk about topics that the general population wouldn't be able to grasp. So my point still stands: >>7785265
>>
>>7785294
That's because they haven't wasted their time on the STEM meme and actually do something useful with their lives, like actual work.
>>
>>7785268

I wasn't threatening anyone, just a suggesting a useful tool for improving someone's character.
>>
>>7785293
My IQ according to internet tests is 131

Back in high school, before I started watching anime my mathematics grades were 3.0 (Scale of 1 - 5), so I was barely passing.

After I grew out of the autism phase my grades were literally perfect. I am telling you that my senior math grade was 4.98. Almost flawless.

Now I am 1st semester pure mathematics and living the easy life because of the anime IQ boost.
>>
>>7785299
> watches anime
> claims to have high IQ
:^)
>>
File: 1452803239532s.jpg (7KB, 249x250px) Image search: [Google]
1452803239532s.jpg
7KB, 249x250px
>>7785299
>My IQ according to internet tests is 131
>>
>>7785299
That's great, but you probably just matured, or engaging in an interest boosted overall happiness and therefore motivation and mental stamina. Anime itself doesn't make you smarter.
>>
>>7785302
>>7785305
I'm mentioning IQ because so many of you seem to care about it. The important bit is the sudden boost in my mathematical capacity.
>>
>>7785299
I took an online math test now and scored 15/15. Do I get to work in NASA now ?
>>
>>7785308

Maybe you just tried harder.
>>
>>7785297
You say this like 'actual work' accomplishes anything. At the least if you work in STEM there's a physical tangible discovery or work that you did in a field that goes on to help other people.
All you're doing in actual work is make money from being a small part of a company that provides a minor service
>>
>>7785297
Typical brainlet.
>>
>>7785329

Without the work you're dismissing, society would not function. All the work you're arrogantly dismissing is a pre-requisite for making discoveries.
>>
>>7785329
How many times have you been cited? Do you have any actual examples of your help making a difference in anyone's life?
>>
I believe what the op is saying is correct. There seems to be an oversaturation of people in STEM who do not actually care about STEM. Even in my 4000 level classes, my friends who are in the class with me lack genuine interest in the subject. This was a common thread through out university.
>>
>>7785197
Yes they have, but as an upside; their money like all of the other dropout's money can be used to fund research or improve the programs.
>>
>>7785302
Lolis help increase IQ by 100 points.
>>
>>7785307
> engaging in an interest boosted overall happiness and therefore motivation and mental stamina

You are just rewording what I said. By boosting my motivation and mental stamina, anime increased my IQ.

>>7785311
Probably not but you are smart, I guess.

>>7785313
Not really. I never found myself caring enough to study. I would always just pay attention in class so I would never have to waste my personal time studying. When my grades starting increasing this had not changed. I never studied, I just paid attention.

This means that I started actually understanding things, after I watched anime.
>>
>>7785353

If you were so smart, you wouldn't be promoting a theory that has no basis other than your own experience. It's just conjecture.
>>
>>7785369
Fair enough. I invite you to try it.

Tips:
First, to get into the max autism phase you must watch exclusively shows about little girls and shows about a lot of girls in love of just one guy.

When you start talking pseudo-japanese, saying shit like baka, senpai and kawaii you know that you are already a complete autist so your IQ is already >130

What you need now is to get out of the autism phase, to do this you should start watching shows about a lot of manly and strong men. My recommendations are Jojo's Bizzare Adventure and Berserk.

If you are having problems getting out of the autism phase after that then read the manga of those series and that will 100% stop your autism, make your cock double in length and some extra IQ points here and there will be obtained.

After that you will no longer be an autist but you will keep the benefits of the >130 IQ
>>
>>7785247
>cannot tell if trolling or actually retarded
>>
>>7785399

>thinks bullying people (physically or mentally), especially those less fortunate than you, is what well adjusted people do.
>>
>>7785338
So is cleaning toilets but you don't see people flocking to that career m8.
>>
>>7785440

>completely misunderstood the point I was making
>thinks he's smart

You're not special because you study STEM.
>>
>>7785448
Nigga you think we're special?
Let me tell you a secret about actual smart people.

There is NOTHING but acknowledgements of ignorance, most of the time. Most of the time spent thinking is wondering just how much there is still to know.

There is no "claiming to know". There is "having a hunch that this might work, lets test it out, assuming we would have the resources and approval to start working on that".

It's not a "heh, you're not smart" thing. It's a "are you actually aware if your methodology can achieve anything" thing.

I tried to generalize it for most of STEM, so don't take it at face value. Things more dangerous than false claims are the people who believe them.
>>
>>7785231

This. I'm not sure why there's a hate boner for pop science. Anyone interested in STEM just because of a YouTube general and not for genuine love of the field will quickly be filtered out after freshmen year.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.