[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sci/, I've been with you for a while now and I have a question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1451839055213.png (269KB, 502x479px) Image search: [Google]
1451839055213.png
269KB, 502x479px
I am about to graduate highschool and attend either the United States Coast Guard Academy or University of Central Florida and major in mechanical engineering. Would it be a good idea to purchase textbooks that aid in the subject area or should I just focus on my current schooling? If I do get the textbooks, please recommend ones that aren't insanely expensive.
>>
>>7784201
>>7734126
>>
>>7784201
go to bookzz.org and download texts for free
>>
>>7784201
>Would it be a good idea to purchase textbooks that aid in the subject area or should I just focus on my current schooling?
Focus on your schooling. Make sure you're really solid on the stuff that's going to matter to you as a MechE: calculus & physics.

If you've got that down focus on English and public speaking. Why English? Because if you can't stand up in front of a roomful of coworkers and communicate your ideas clearly or write a clear engineering specification, you are fucked as a professional. Seriously, majorly fucked.

> If I do get the textbooks, please recommend ones that aren't insanely expensive.
Ain't no such thang. All current textbooks are insanely expensive. Pirate them off the internet.

And, yeah, the /adv/ board is that way. ->
GTFO.
>>
>>7784201
you know how you pirate music or movies?

You can do the same thing with text books.
>>
>>7784229
Ok. I've got public speaking down and Physics. I just struggle w/ Calculus for some reason.
>>
>>7784252
> I just struggle w/ Calculus for some reason.

Fix that *NOW*. Do whatever it takes, regardless of the cost.

Grab a general college calculus textbook off of bookzz.org (Larson's Calculus seems to get good reviews) and skim the table of contents. You are going to go through that *plus* a differential equations course plus additional math courses. And you'll go through it at 2x - 3x the rate you are doing in high school.

On top of that, every single STEM course you take is going to use calculus. College physics? Uses calculus. Statics & dynamics. Uses calculus. You get the picture.

If you don't have a solid grasp of calculus, it's game over for you as an engineer before you even start.
>>
>>7784305
I understand Calculus and I can implement it in my AP physics c: Mechanics course; however, the actual class doesn't always click. Thanks for the advice though.
>>
>>7784318
Good luck.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.