[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I join Mensa? I tested high enough but I don't want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: Image(1).jpg (98KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
Image(1).jpg
98KB, 500x750px
Should I join Mensa? I tested high enough but I don't want to pay. Are there any benefits to it? I dont give two shits about socializing.
>>
>>7784058
Who needs mensa when you have /sci/?
>>
>>7784059
You can't put /sci/ on your resumé.
>>
>>7784061
You can't? Shit. I guess I know why Fermilab didn't accept my application.
>>
>>7784061
fucking winrar

how much does an iq test/mensa cost anyways
>>
>>7784134
$40 last I checked
>>
>>7784061

Putting your Mensa membership on your resume isn't a great idea either.
>>
Just started reading a bit about mensa, they give you a pity version of the test (more time or something) if you have ADHD.

>intelligent people
>believes in meme disease
>retards
>>
>>7784061

"Hey Steve, check this out, this guy actually put 'Mensa' on his CV."

"[chuckle], what a dickwad! Ah, throw it out."
>>
File: trash_can.jpg (13KB, 300x224px) Image search: [Google]
trash_can.jpg
13KB, 300x224px
>>7784061
If anybody put Mensa on their resume when I'm doing the screening, I'd show my co-workers we'd all laugh our asses off.

Hiring managers want to see what you accomplished, not what social clubs you joined.
>>
File: 1448873919441.png (3KB, 344x341px) Image search: [Google]
1448873919441.png
3KB, 344x341px
>>7784058
If you don't have anything better to do with your time and money, why not? Meeting with relatively intelligent people with large ego who enjoy doing puzzles and talking about serious topics is better then shitposting on 4chan in my opinion.
I also tested high enough, but I didn't join them. I don't want to waste money and time when I can do exactly same things with my friends who also are in the same situation.

>>7784061
This is stupid idea. I don't think it would make your resume instantly trashed like others say, but it won't do any good either.
>>
>>7784058
>Are there any benefits to it?

No. They literally play board games and argue who's got the highest IQ. It's like the worst possible version of /sci/.

I did the Mensa entry level test (and got all points) because it's cheaper than a psychiatric IQ test but just as valid. Then I immediately left afterwards.
>>
>>7784257
There's an article that's years old about putting Mensa on a resume written by an HR woman.

She was just butthurt, but butthurt people can keep you from getting a job. She essentially said "Well I could join it too but actually joining and putting it on your resume seems stuck up" to which the article comments were mostly calling her out on not being able to join.
>>
>>7784270
That's a retarded point. I study maths at a good uni, everybody I know could easily join the mensa (as I did >>7784267), but nobody does because it's a joke and nothing to be proud of.
>>
File: 1419620127650.gif (474KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1419620127650.gif
474KB, 200x150px
Some of you guys really need to get more experience from the real world.

The point of Mensa is the same as with any other network - to connect and offer mutual benefits to the members.

Every network has a superficial purpose - to play golf, weave baskets or meet up and have conversations on various topics. But the real underlying purpose is always to create a social structure that will allow the members to benefit off each other. The most obvious benefit being meeting potential customers if you are in any kind of business, but getting referrals or exchanging services with other members also fall into that category.

It's not something you put on a resume - it's the people you call WHEN you need to send your resume.
>>
>>7784335
>The point of Mensa is the same as with any other network - to connect and offer mutual benefits to the members.

Joining a network that admits people just for their IQ is like joining a network that admits people because they have blonde hair. It's something that you happened to have, not something that you do or accomplished.

High IQ doesn't matter;it only matters what you do with it. If you joined Mensa, it would be obvious pretty quickly that a lot of people that have high IQ just waste it.
>>
I guess I could speak a bit on this. Like many, I qualify for MENSA but chose not to pay the membership fee as there is really no benefit outside of supporting the organization or being able to officially claim membership.

However, I did attend the Annual Gathering this year in Tennessee. While the premise of the organization is built upon an elitist qualification, I found that majority of generation Y Mensans (I'm 24) in which I had contact don't view themselves as such. In fact, they were incredibly welcoming, down to earth people. There was a broad array of people from all over, from the stereotypical geeks to the gym junkies to the career focused to the downright eccentric. It was refreshing to see such an eclectic group of people come together to enjoy the company of other people who have similarly stimulating ideas, accepting of whoever wanted to join.

Reasons to join: Be socially involved with other people think to a similar capacity

Not a reason to join: Street cred/resume builder (That's a good way to find your job application in the trash)
>>
THE REAL IQ TEST IS IF YOU ARE SMART ENOUGH NOT TO PAY FOR A SHITTY TEST.
>>
>>7784335
Actually in this case it's more like a dating pool for slightly above average intelligence "nerds" who think they are too smart to date someone from a dating site. You won't find owners of businesses or really anyone who has accomplished something significant with their lives at a MENSA meeting.
>>
>>7784377
while I agree with you, I think you're missing the point.
The more people you know, the more power you have. Even if half those people are waste of potential, there is still the other half who knows the right person, who works at the right place, who does the job you are hiring for, who lives in the right city or whatever

It doesn't matter if it's a book club or yoga classes or mensa. The more people you know and the more you "groom" your network (by making people meet, by refering others etc), the more power you have yourself when you need something, as well as more access to hardly available information.
>>
>>7784401
>Be socially involved with other people think to a similar capacity
now that I think about it, I have goosebumps
I only ever had one or two friends in my whole life with whom I could jump reasoning steps during a discussion, and they would get it instantly
fuck that felt amazing because you immediately feel drawn to them and I want to feel that again
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.