[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone know anything about bioinformatics/computational biology?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: realtree_camo_shirt_1024x1024.jpg (175KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
realtree_camo_shirt_1024x1024.jpg
175KB, 900x900px
Anyone know anything about bioinformatics/computational biology? I might get a research gig this summer in it but I'm debating whether it's worth learning Perl. Is it alright for someone who otherwise hates biology?
>>
>>7781393
monitoring thread. I've asked /g/ and /sci/ the same question and no good answer. Just looking for a good place to start like a textbook. I don't know anything about programming either but have a bs in microbio.
>>
>>7781399
Once again sci proves its retardation. If anyone here was actually in college, at least someone would be familiar with one of the biggest research areas in CS and biology.
>>
>>7781399
>>7781577
There were several textbooks on computational biophysics recommended in the textbook thread, other than the ones posted on the wiki. But since you're being such a little bitch about it I'm not going to repost it, go find it in the catalog yourself.

>>7781393
Asking whether to learn Perl or not is such a stupid fucking question. It's completely irrelevant, ask the research group you want to work with what languages they use.
>>
>>7781582
>ask the research group you want to work with what languages they use
Perl, nigger
>>
>>7781393
>Anyone know anything about bioinformatics/computational biology?

Booming field. Systems biology, applying statistical physics to model complex systems (e.g. signaling in neural networks, antibiotic resistance in bacterial populations, transcriptional bursting in gene regulation, etc.), is definitely the latest hot field in biophysics. IMO, when we look back on biophysics of the 2000s - 2010s, the prominence of systems biology will be the key development.
>>
>>7781703
Then obviously it's worth learning Perl you nigger. Why do you even need to ask us?
>>
>>7781399
Fuck a textbook. Learn by doing. Download some shit from NCBI or whatever repository and learn some basic data handling and processing. The publications of the lab group you're working with Will give you some idea.
>>
File: 1443068807659.jpg (45KB, 736x492px) Image search: [Google]
1443068807659.jpg
45KB, 736x492px
>>7781393
I took a few classes in computational biology.

It's some really neat stuff. I used matlab for most of my classes though.
>>
>>7781399
>has a bs in mircobio
>not forced to take two semesters of computer programming
>not forced to take up to linear or differential

Step your game up nigger

Though I would HIGHLY suggest this book as the author takes their time and really explains how to work through the problems.

Mathematical Models in Biology by Leah Edelstein
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.