[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

self discipline

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: 1427908659046.jpg (377KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1427908659046.jpg
377KB, 1280x853px
How the fuck do I learn to discipline myself?

I have these:

>Pomodoro Technique every single day (no zero days)
>Wake up every day at 8 AM no matter what (hard asf tbqh)
>SMART tasks (google it. may sound like bullshit at first but makes a lot of sense in practice)
>Start doing the least pleasurable task first. This is combined with pomodoro to increase my discipline. I hate working on my dissertation, but I woke up at 8 AM and did 5 pomodoros on it.

What else is there? I probably need to address eating habits/diet at some point cause I eat like shit. For physical exercise I skateboard. I've done 6 months of gym, but no thanks.

So how do you self-discipline like a fucking monk?

And yes this is /sci/ because I'm looking for methods actually tested scientifically, not bullshit "10 ways to suck dick" from shitty websites, and besides, a lot of us are students here and self-discipline is one of the most important ingredients to do real progress in our fields
>>
>>7780509

You just fucking do it. Every passing moment you're getting closer to lying 6 feet under, so hurry the fuck up and do it.
>>
>anyone here
>doing real progress in their fields
heheheheheheheheheheheh
>>
Meditate on the fact that you will be dead soon.

You think you have time. You dont.

Either get it done or do something else because one day your last breath will escape you and the blackness will come in from the sides

Conremplate it and you wont have to worry about motivation
>>
>>7780606
>Meditate on the fact that you will be dead soon.
>soon
>it's likely over 300% of how much i have lived
i dont know how you pseudo-intellectuals get these ideas from
>>
>>7780715
actually death is something you really don't know when to expect. it could happen at any moment in any place.
>>
>>7780559
This. I lol here when the physics dudes are better than engineers because they contribute to modern descovery. Gives me a good laugh
>>
>>7780762
Why not live in the moment and follow hedonism then, instead of pursuing an pleasure that MIGHT come in the long term, while you suffer your way to it?
I don't think the "you'll be dead soon, so go on" works if the person is not actually learning because he/she enjoys it. This is the case for OP and if he actually meditates and realises that death is round the corner, he might be inclined to stop whatever he thought he wanted to do.
>>
>>7780509

>exercise
>skateboard

pick one
>>
>>7780917
Why live when you're gonna die?
>>
>>7780952

Because that's nature, accept it and live
>>
>>7780509
>>Wake up every day at 8 AM no matter what (hard asf tbqh)
This one is important. Have good and regular working habits.
> Pomodoro, SMART
If you're at uni or you're doing research, this is pure trisomy. There are moments when stopping what you're doing 25 minutes after is just stupid. Sometimes your concentration is high, you don't want to break the stream.

If you have to do non-intellectual tasks or if you're coding, Pomodoro might be a good principle. Otherwise, no.
Our beloved T. Tao wrote things about it, check here https://terrytao.wordpress.com/career-advice/
>>
File: point-of-no-return.jpg (36KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
point-of-no-return.jpg
36KB, 600x400px
>>7780509
Discipline comes through denial of other options. While discipline is actually a bad thing for a person, self-discipline is very useful as you still maintain the ultimate freedom of motivating yourself to act. You force yourself to do the thing which you yourself reason to be important.

So turn the thing into an obsession.

Don't include anything into it. No music, no food, no tv, no nothing. Just learn to do one simple thing and do it way far beyond boredom and suffering.

Start with simple relevant labour that you just do all the time. I'm not talking about days or weeks, but months or even years. Neglect your duties or needs to do that task and continue doing this until your habbit has become beyond life consuming. Make it the only source of enjoyment you've ever had.

After that start doing progressively harder stuff. You will notice that you're less interested in the subject, but this is where most people break. So stay focused on the task, and do it until you know it inside-out. Only after this you can move forward to a yet harder task and repeat this process.

After you've done this long enough discipline and focus will come naturally.
>>
>>7780951
>skateboarding is awesome
>getting pitted doin them sick kickflips
>you're a nerd

pick three
>>
>>7780972
You can do pomodoros of 50 with 10 minutes break. I have short attention span (diagonsed with ADHD-PI) and the 25/5 work well for me. They also say it's better for "internalizing new information", and it helps me to keep going for longer. Also being that's 25 minutes it makes me work faster cause I kno wthe alarm will ring soon.

Today I've done 4 pomodoros on my dissertation and about 10 on neural networks assessment. Coding actually is something I'd rather do for 50min or so without a break
>>
>>7780972
>pure trisomy.
what
>>
File: vice3.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
vice3.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>7780509
Study dog training.
Treat yourself and more importantly your future self as a dog.
It works.
>>
>>7781422
>pomodoros
this is something I've only just gotten into, going to do a pomodoro now of transferring notes into Anki Flashcards.
When you started your pomodoros, how many would you tend to do a day? and how many would you do currently?
>>
>>7780964
>appeal to nature
>>
>>7780964
why die, when you're gonna live ;)
>>
>>7781916
I've started recently as well.. first day I did 4, now I'm doing ~15/day. I document them here https://www.reddit.com/user/pomodor/ to keep me going
>>
>>7781047
i think that's a bit extreme dude
>>
Pomodoros is fucking placebo tier study tactic. Enjoy being autistic and not knowing how to study.
>>
>>7782995
>i don't know what placebo means
good 2 kno
>>
>>7783044
>i'm an autistic fuck who doesn't have an actual counter argument
confirmed 4 fgt
>>
Self discipline is a meme.

You need to fix your life and keep it in balance.
If you basic needs aren't fulfilled, you can't concentrate on long term goals.

>I skateboard

This board is 18+, please leave.
>>
>>7780509
Practice Budhism:
"The fundamental cause of people’s unhappiness lies in their tendency to develop attachments of various kinds. The spirit of the Lotus Sutra, however, is not to eradicate earthly desires. When we base ourselves on the Buddhist Law, we can transform earthly desires—just as they are—into enlightenment. This is the principle of “earthly desires are enlightenment.” It’s not a matter of eradicating attachments but of seeing them clearly."
http://www.ikedaquotes.org/desires/desires546.html
>>
How do I focus on getting shit done?

I suffer from indecisive donkey syndrome. It's based on the hypothetical scenario that if a hungry donkey is placed exactly equidistant from multiple piles of hay that are are identical, he will be unable to choose any one pile over the other, so he will stand there paralysed by indecisiveness until he starves to death.

I feel just like him. There's so much I want and need to do but I just cant arbitrarily will myself to focus on any one thing. I feel like my mind is being torn in a hundred different directions. I can't focus. I constantly feel the sands of time slipping through my fingers no matter how hard I grasp. How do I stop this cycle? I don't want to end up like the donkey, paralysed for the rest of eternity :(
>>
>>7783194
You need to open up your life and define the right priorities, Don't obsess you so much, but dedicate your life to something of value
https://youtu.be/NY5X6-pjpzs
>>
>>7783218
Generic advice sentence #1305. You said absolutely nothing meaningful there.
>>
>>7783226
Trust in yourself and be more proactive. Carpe diem.
>>
>>7783122
>Budhism
Why follow an even more metaphysical Stoïcism, combined with the laziness of Epicurism
>>
I can't imagine you people actually being part of society or taking care of your family or having some responsibilities, holy shit.
>>
>>7783109
>Self discipline is a meme.
>
>You need to fix your life and keep it in balance.

that's literally what self-discipline is for
>>
>>7783122
>The fundamental cause of people’s unhappiness lies in their tendency to develop attachments of various kinds.
ok /r9k/ fedora man but no thanks i love my girlfriend bye
>>
>>7783226
or you just dont understand it. sounds like a platitude but if you had your priorities in order you wouldn't be such a stupid donkey

>my priority is to get accepted to MIT
>should i study or shitpost on 4chan
>>
>>7783318
That's the problem. I don't know how to prioritize my priorities. Whenever I try to I fear that I'm doing it wrong
>>
>>7783310
not really.

Here's an example.
Your SO eats like a pig. Bad food, and lots of food. She won't change her ways for you.
You are also teased into eating shit food every day.

The "self-discipline" way would suggest that you can and should just avoid the temptation.
The "get your shit together faggot" way suggests breaking up to avoid heart disease.

You can try to be the one that eats healthy as much as you want, but it will never work.
>>
>>7783703
I'm in this situation.

Breaking up is the only way.

I can't get past the crying when I want to eat something healthy.
>>
>>7783315
Then you're gonna suffer a lot when she cheats on you and leaves you for Chad.
>>
>>7782995
>fucking placebo
If it helps, it fucking helps
Doesnt matter if its placebo or not you pleb
>>
>>7783194
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgH3b-LY1uc
It might work, idk. I found this guy's videos helpful.
>>
>>7783315
....untill the love will endure.... please reflect more deeply upon those sentence
>>
>>7783261
are you shure that the superficial knowing of some greek philosophy can lead you to understand the meaning of your life?
>>
>>7783919
It doesn't actually help, as a fixed time span for study will rip you out of your concentration constantly. But hey by all means use it and be a failure
>>
File: 1334601855.png (11KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1334601855.png
11KB, 429x410px
>>7784109
>hurrrr smart but lazy
>can't choose what to do so many interestings xD
>>
>>7780509
>discipline myself
This guy seems to have some ideas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSFL5aggdfVBsnczkNci2ig
>>
You must be of the One, for the One, in the One -- the One.

And you must have Goals grand enough to push you beyond -- to inspire you to become The Master.

And you must have patience and perseverance.
>>
>>7781047
That's an extreme way of doing it
Just give it some personal meaning, that's how I get through the difficult times
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.