[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we convince the government that there's oil on titan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: Titan.jpg (1MB, 2120x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Titan.jpg
1MB, 2120x1600px
How do we convince the government that there's oil on titan that we can harvest for use back on earth?
>>
How do we convince you that fossil fuels are a terrible energy source and thst your plan would cost $trillions and decades to construct
>>
>>7780472
Not all hydrocarbons are 'oil'.
>>
>>7780472

Even if we get so much oil here that the costs would decrease, the carbondyoxide emissions would be catastrophic to our atmosphere.

we need other energy sources.
im betting on fusion
>>
>>7780514
>>7780688
>Oil is just for energy

Fucking children.
>>
>>7780472

Oh and also, you need organic materials to get oil(as far as i know) and titan has none of that.
>>
>>7780521
>>7780695
^ This.
>>
>>7780694

Enlighten us?

i thought that other uses we have for oil atm are so small in comparison to energy that it wouldnt need to be harvested from some other planet (yet)
>>
>>7780698
Well when we move away from it as an energy source (which probably won't happen anytime soon) those uses will be all that's left and we will eventually run out.
>>
>>7780735

would they be replaceable?
and its not that we ran out of oil.
we have shitloads left.
the thing is that its too expensive to dig it all up because of the hard to reach oil fields.
wed probably have more than enough for pplastics/medicine etc for a long fucking time.
but it will be costly.

correct me if im wrong
>>
>>7780751
>would they be replaceable?

Maybe, but it's better to have it than have not. We're finding new uses for hydrocarbons every day.
>>
>>7780779
Polymers, for one.
>>
>>7780779
>>7780781

i agree that its better to save them for better use than literally burning it.

could we artificially create hydrocarbons?
i mean within a reasonable timeframe.
>>
>>7780787
That is actually already 'possible':
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_fuel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syngas
>>
>>7780801

This is amazing!
nothing to worry about then?
>>
>>7780834
All I'll say is, fusion would be perfection.
>>
What if has some sort of magic space oil that does magic car stuff?
>>
>>7780904
What if. /thread
>>
>convince the gover'mint that there's oil on titan
first, Lrn2capital-letter
second, find oil on Titan
>>
>>7780472
Oil us at $30.00
Im guessing that getting oil from Titan will be slightly more expensive.
You need to wait for oil to go up to about $6,364,564,562.00
>>
>>7780955
It wouldn't be oil, as in petroleum.
>>
>>7780698
Not him but oil is essential for plastics and cheap synthetic fertilizers without which about 1 billion would die.
>>
>>7780955
>Oil us at $30.00
And heading for USD 20 a barrel.

Just one tiny war in the Middle East and we will once more taste USD 200 a barrel. Just because it is cheap today there is no guarantee it will always be cheap. In fact noone outside the rulers in Saudi Arabia knows how much oil they really have left. The day they run out there will be a big surprise and a bigger jump in price. And most likely also a big, big war. Again. Just like the previous 5000 years.
>>
>>7781174
Agreed, but that is still a very long way from oil (or any other recourse for that matter) being so expensive or rare that off-earth mining becomes a viable option.
>>
>>7780472
Even if there was, it would cost far greater to harvest and transport back here than it would to just harvest deeper from our own oil wells, many of which we've already declared too costly to harvest from.
>>
I belive that all the oil stuff was an example of a resource that can be colected from titan.

well in case of oil even if there was the best oil in the solar system it wouldn't worth the trip

But about other resources that can be found in titan?

There's anything that could justify colonization?

Like hellium 3 on the moon

Thouse shitloads os hydrocarbons may be used to civil construct by making plastic with it.(not to bring it to earth but to make structures there.
>>
They already know because they funded the fucking research that discovered it.
>>
>>7780514
>>7780521
>>7780688
>>7780695
>>7780696
You really missed the point, huh. OP is probably joking, implying the only way for us to go to Titan is for the government to believe there is oil there.
>>
>>7781860
>>7781622
>>7781398
>>7781390

but guyse there have to have been trees n shit for oil to be there right????
so what the fuck are we even talking about?
>>
>>7783126
There's if I remember correctly supposedly methane which is essentially natural gas, though getting there and transporting it here within certain costs would be practically impossible.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.