[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello friends, I am a 30+ lawyer who recently found I hate law

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: law-of-gravity-enforced.jpg (20KB, 500x292px) Image search: [Google]
law-of-gravity-enforced.jpg
20KB, 500x292px
Hello friends,
I am a 30+ lawyer who recently found I hate law and passion for fundamental physics and cosmology. It will take another year or two to bring my maths to the level necessary to complete a physics degree. What would you do, continue with law or take a leap into science?
>>
Every lawyer I know wants to kill himself.

I'd kill to be able to get my maths to that level and to be able to pursue anything to do with physics.
>>
>>7779687
>Hello friends,
>I recently saw a few pretty graphics of space stuff and I have a passion for physics now just like you :^)

Stick with law. Watch more pop. science instead. Astrophysics isn't hiring anyway.
>>
That's tough OP. Its amazing how we are seduced into doing things we hate just for money, even in this world of abundance we live in.

I'll put this simply for you OP. Your final thought on your deathbed will be one of deep regret if you remain a lawyer.
>>
>>7779705
He'll have even more regret when he can't provide for his family and his wife and kids leave him.

Science doesn't have interesting careers anyway you will never get paid to do what you like. It's just a job in the end. We all have to work for our bread.
>>
>>7779687
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but the outlook is kind of bleak.

Even if you got your BS in physics, what then? There's no job market for physicist BSes (or MSes); they wind up as computer programmers mostly as far as I can tell. You have a law background so you could become a patent attorney, I think, which is not so bad from what I hear.

Go for a Ph.D? The top-tier graduate programs won't consider you or, if they do, they won't fund you. When you get your Ph.D, academia will likely be closed to you; people your age are either established on the tenure track or have washed out. You can go into research in industry, possibly, but there's no market for "fundamental physics and cosmology" in industry.

That being said, I did meet a very elderly professor of physics in my undergrad years, who said he did not start his graduate studies until he was 33. So it's not impossible. It will probably require you to sacrifice everything you have to succeed but it's not impossible.
>>
>>7779712
>family
>wife
>kids
>being a provider
Nice meme!
>>
>>7779687
The bottom fell out of the job market for general law, I am sure you have noticed.
Job market in Physics isn't too bad but getting a PhD makes life more interesting. Then again, returning to life as a student when 30+ will be brutal and if you are married there will be a divorce.
You could however get a job as a patent attorney. Are you in the US? I see patent law firms still hire. In Europe there are also opportunities at WIPO and EPO.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.